I assumed that the welding on the the tie rod just meant that it had been repaired.
But then I started measuring. I found the distance between threads was 431/4". That distance on the half dozen unaltered rods I measured was 413/4". So, thought I, it must have been lengthened to use on a longer axle.
But the axle measured 531/4", just like the eight other front axles I measured. The only other variable has to be the spindle arms, so I guess that's what need to check next.
You been driving on that? It looks worse than my welding!
Some tie rods have an unwelded seam that runs the length of the rod on the bottom. Some tie rods are seamless tubing, some are welded seam tubing.
Some tie rods have a little hole in the bottom middle to vent the tube. This turned out to be a bad idea. The hole would leak water in, and allow rust inside. Also, the location weakened the tie rod in the very point where vibration stressed the rod the most. I have seen several tie rods broken at that hole. I think I still have one that broke clean in two right at the hole and is otherwise in good solid condition.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2
well its been done fairly recently because that welding was done with a wire feed welder, and it appears with not enough shielding gas because of its porosity.
I've never seen mud dauber nests like that before.
check here for the correct length tie rods for the different years.