ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 01/12/10 FORD RESERVE GAS TANK

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 01/12/10 FORD RESERVE GAS TANK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:28 pm:

Here's an accessory that allows you to displace a quart of gas inside the filler cap. It is also marked like a gas gauge stick for a round gas tank. So how far can you go with just a quart of gas in your T??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 05:48 pm:

Jay

Here in the south, that little goody would be great to stash a quart of moonshine :-)

That white lightning is good for the soul and probably fine with Lizzie too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 06:46 pm:

Heck, I'll wager that that timely, clever, clandestine, little device was never used to, nor meant to hold gasoline, but instead, was used back during Prohibition (1919-1933) to smuggle a quart of Canadian Bourbon over the border for private consumption or for making bathtub gin. If a party of eight Model T's went across the border for a picnic, each with one of these, they could come back with two gallons of a combination of Bourbon, Scotch or Gin, which, during the Prohibition and particularly during the early days of the Depression, was worth a small fortune. Thanks Jay. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 01:08 pm:

Hi Jay,
Interesting reserve tank, but with that sealed tank used as a filler cap for the fuel tank, how is the main tank vented? Inquiring minds want to know. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 01:19 pm:

I want one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 01:30 pm:

William. There is a tiny air vent hole drilled at a 45 degree angle on the cap near the threads to vent the tank. My photos did not show it.

I agree that this accessory probably carried more moonshine then gas. A quart of gas wouldn't get you to much further down the road but a quart of booze would sooth your hard luck while waiting for help to pass by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 06:12 pm:

And another magazine ad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration