Solid steel wheels for T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Solid steel wheels for T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 11:15 pm:

I have seen these advertised in the "In speed and sport" book. They where made by Harvey. Did a search and found that some sold (or they could just be hubcaps) in 2008 here is a picture. What if anything does anyone know about these products?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:06 am:

Robert

What you have looks like Disteel wheels mfg by Detroit Pressed Steel Co in Detroit. Pat'd Dec 11,1917. Require special hubs both front and rear with three lugs mounted in a ring. They use a Ford dust cover, at least all that I have seen.

Hope that helps, I have a couple of sets.

Mike Bender
Tulsa, OK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:06 am:

Below is a picture of a non-T with those wheels. The driver and builder of the car is African American and celebrated Minnesota resident Frederick M. Jones, a self-taught engineer, mechanical genius and inventor extraordinaire who designed the first reliable refrigerated truck for the company that ultimately became Thermo King.

Fred Jones

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:09 am:

They are Disteel wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:15 am:

Robert

Those are Disteel brand, not the Harvey brand.

These are Model T Disteel,clincher rimmed, 30" x 3 1/2" and have unique hubs front and rear to fit the T.

The Harvey have three separate discs that are tapered sandwiched so to speak.

Harvey Wheels

The Disteel are one piece. And that little divot or intended dimple on the right across from the center is the 'locater' that helps you roll the wheel around to where the valve stem is located. The valve stem is on the rear of the wheel rim. The bigger Disteels with 5 lugs were factory fitted on a bunch of big $ autos in the early 20's.

Front Disteel with hub
Roadster with Disteel wheels

My Autowa bodied T has Disteel wheels on it too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:37 am:

Hi Robert and all
Here are patents filed for both the Harvey and the Disteel wheels.
Hopefully there will be something of interest for all, no matter which
patents apply to your wheels.

Harvey Wheel Co
Patent number: 1442944
Filing date: Nov 26, 1919
Issue date: Jan 1923
http://tinyurl.com/ya66w3k

These are a couple of other patents that reference
Harvey Wheel Co, that may or may not be related.

Patent number: 1464917
Filing date: Sep 29, 1920
Issue date: Aug 14, 1923
http://tinyurl.com/ykye54y

Patent number: 1338177
Filing date: Mar 29, 1919
Issue date: Apr 27, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/yfutmnm

Patent number: 1412111
Filing date: Jul 31, 1920
Issue date: Apr 11, 1922
http://tinyurl.com/yhextnq

And here is the DPS patent covering Mikes patent date.

Patent number: 1249827
Filing date: Nov 6, 1916
Issue date: Dec 11, 1917
http://tinyurl.com/yjt5zoe

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:37 am:

Dan

Did Disteel have their on dust caps?

Mike Bender
Tulsa OK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:59 am:

Mike

I don't think so. The Disteel Ford hub uses the std Ford threads for the dust cap. So any Ford or aftermarket accessory cap for the Ford will fit.

I took this picture off Tbay a while back,[no, I didn't win the bid, went for big $$] original Disteel rear spare carrier for the Ford, and you can see the wheel has what appears to be a special dust cap, maybe the one that Disteel supplied? But I think that red ringed cap is just another aftermarket style dust cap. The one on my gray painted wheel in the large picture of my earlier post is an aftermarket with a fancy font 'F' on the face. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.woods on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:19 am:

Back in the late sixties or 1970, I bought a 1916 touring from a business in Denver called The Veteran Car Museum. It had five Disteel wheels, painted Straw color, mounted with five 30 X 3 1/2 Wards Riverside tires. The fifth (spare) wheel was mounted on a special rear spare tire mount, similar to what 26-27 tourings and sedans used. In the middle of the three triangular wheel mounting studs was a brass plate (oval shaped, as I remember) with the Disteel logo. A similar plate was rivited to the inside of each wheel, but they had been painted over, so I never saw whether they were brass. I didn't think they looked Model T ish and wanted to put wooden spoke wheels on it, which I did. What I did with them, you might find amusing. I was working for a major antique parts supplier (long since defunct) and one day when answering the phone for a parts call, a man mentioned that he was looking for a fancy wheel for a speedster that he was building. Well, I told him about the Disteels and I could hear the excitement in his voice. He asked me how much I wanted for them. Being new to the T hobby and not knowing the rarity of the set, I said, "Oh a hundred dollars." Well, he thought that I meant $100.00 per wheel and when he came to pick them up, he handed me five $100.00 bills. I was so shocked that I just said, Thank you, and waved good bye to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 02:10 am:

Terry

Yep, that brings back memories too, sold lots of T stuff years ago, 'bout the same occurrence. :-)

Now I'm trying to get some back, cost seemed to have gone up over time !

Here is an original Disteel plate, and in the foreground, some plastic replicas I had made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:18 am:

Dan,
I see you have a picture showing the unique striping/painting pattern for your wheels.
Erik's photo of Mr. Jone's speedster also shows a very similar pattern.
Ya know, almost anyone has spoked wheels (wood or wire) not many with these wheels!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:08 pm:

My Grandpa always said disc wheels were a poor investment because they bent too easily. I guess even a rough road could knock them out of true. He had three different Model T's in the twenties, with the last one being a '27 coupe he bought new.

There were special presses marketed to automobile repair shops that were made just for straightening disc wheels, so it must have been a big issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:38 pm:

Dan I'm still selling the Plastic replica DISTEEL plates for the wheels danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:46 pm:

Adam,

You sort of answered a question I always wondered about. Although I'm SURE I do not know all or even very much, about this, I could never understand why Ford (and others) used wood spokes for so long. From a mass production point of view it would seem that stamping out solid steel wheels would be much less costly than making and assembling wood spoke wheels. I guess they were just better and worth the trouble (that means expense) until it became more practical to use stamped steel wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:18 pm:

Henry

I rather believe that customers preferred the wood wheels for a long time after wire wheels and discs began to be popular. Confidence in the 'old' is the norm.

Those wires in early days were spoked like bicycles, and didn't work well on the very heavy autos. Discs were used for a while on the big autos, while most used artillery wheels wood spokes. Then rubber tire mfg came out with balloon tires and then wheel mfg started making more steel and wire in 19" or smaller sizes to mate with the new tire types instead of the large diameter high pressure tires.

So, finally when the technology came along, confidence grew with customers, so wood became less desired. Ford made 'welded' wire wheels in '26 and that did make big impact. The '28 Model A didn't have wood spokes anymore, by the late 20's wood spokes were going out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 05:47 pm:

Dan,

That all makes good sense. I was just thinking that Ol' Henry may have passed up a chance to save $.05, but I guess when you take it all into account he did what worked best in the big picture.

Thanks for your comments!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:25 pm:

Found some... here you go:

http://www.antiquetmotorsports.com/aluminumdiscwheels.html#

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration