Hey, any quality reproduction parts makers out there?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Hey, any quality reproduction parts makers out there?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:32 am:

Just got off the phone with my favorite Model T parts vendor.

I had ordered a new set of stainless steel throttle and spark rods, always got great parts in the past on this item. I like the stainless, as it looks so much like nickle, you really could not tell they were not the original.

But this week I got received the new stainless spark and throttle rods, and low an behold.....the design of the ends is wrong!

Seems that the mfg told the supplier that making them correctly caused 'cracks' so the mfg substituted the Model A design handle end! Eeee Gads.....I don't like it.

Of course my favorite vendor offered full refund, appreciate that, and they aren't the supplier of these, so I can understand they can't help out to re-make them right.

So......anyone out there that can mfg new stainless steel throttle and spark rods....you have a ready market!

On the left is the 'new' version and on the right is the former correct version that looks and feels like a real Model T throttle and spark rod end.

On the left the new 'incorrect' end for a Model T, sure it looks like the Model A.....am I the only one to notice this! Even my wife looked at them and said...'those don't look right'!

To me the cosmetic end of the Model T spark and throttle rod is something that 'makes' it special, like the millions made before, this part should be made today correctly.

Please if you order these new rods, be aware that they are Model A style now, there are no more of the correct looking ends now.

Note this tip on the left, this was the last resto I did on a gear case, sure like the former style stainless steel spark and throttle ends...these look like Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:53 am:

Dan -- The ones you are calling "Model T" ones with the short flattened area are for later Model T's. The "Model A" ones are very similar to earlier Model T's, as the ones on my '15. Someone makes those in brass for the earlier T's and they look fine on the earlier cars. But of course they wouldn't be correct for the nickel-era T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:15 pm:

Dan,

It looks like you might be able to reshape the tip with a file and then re-polish the tip. Sometimes re-pop parts are like Harbor Freight tools - you have to fix them before you can use them :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:19 pm:

Dan: Get used to it! The best thing to do on those spark and throttle rods is to weld up the bottom side, and get them nickel plated by a company that knows how to do it right. That way, you won't have any complaints! It wouldn't surprise me either, if the repro rods don't have the holes for the spring retainer, or the spark and throttle levers either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

Larry, Bob, Mike

Thanks.....I was putting them back in the container to return, then went back to the Autowa and looked again to compare....so Bob, I came to the same conclusion.

Why not file and grind and polish the ends on the 'incorrect' ends?...just like your sketch...that is the best idea for now. Thanks!

But still, for $90 a set, a mfg should get these right for the nickel era T's !!

Dan...angry,... but will calm down when whittling away that excess stainless on the ends !!!

Thanks all for my venting....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:42 pm:

I made my own new ones, but not stainless, for my 24. They're black, not nickeled. I think that's "correct", but somebody can set me right if I'm mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:21 pm:

Steve

The steel throttle and spark levers for the nickel era where plated on the ends. The ends were rounded and blunt, not like the earlier.

According to Bruce's CD Ency, "June 14, 1917"..."Levers nickel-plated at top, shorter attended ends" That nickel plating went about a couple of inch's down from the bend. The rest of the rod was plain steel, unfinished.

So....I will grind down those incorrect levers to make the correct 'shorter attended ends'...or in my T Terminology......those are the "ears"

How can you expect to drive a Model T at speed if you can't pull down on 'the ears' ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:33 pm:

Isn't the proper way to drive a T to pull both levers all of the way down, tie them in a knot and hang on !!! :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 04:03 pm:

I've just gotten back from my shop for lunch, and I have some pics to post. And by the way, I'm not refuting anything anyone else has said here, just showing these pics for the prupose of illustration.

Here are the original levers on my '15 Touring. I'm told these were brass-plated originally.

levers

And here are the solid brass repro's on my Coupelet chassis. The flattened area is longer than the originals, but still pretty close in shape.

lev-2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 08:27 pm:

I recently restored a 1914 touring. In rebuilding the steering column I needded the "correct" spark and throttle rods. All I had was later rods. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel and thinking that Henry didn't either when he changed styles. I thought he used the same stock and just changed the stamping method. My solution later rods, a 3 pound hammer, an anvil and the "blue wrench". A little bit of "smithing" and I had early spark and throttle rods. Very little filing was needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:57 am:

Here is a picture of the throttle lever on my dad's 14 Touring. The column is a 1911 - 12 type, that likely did not come originally in his car. Anyone know exactly when this design was used? It is a steel rod, brass plated. Both the throttle and spark are the same design, it appears they were stamped this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:57 pm:

The picture of the steering column that Royce pictured was used for a short time in 1912. Dan Killicuts late '12 1913 style touring has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 03:17 pm:

Well, I can tell you that the model A rod ends are shaped quite differently, the "back side" is the same shape as the round shaft, only the front part flares out.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 03:24 pm:

Lessee, you are happy they make the parts out of the wrong material,
and unhappy they don't look right? :-)

Sorry, Dan, couldn't help noting the irony.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:21 pm:

The ones Dan has would look just like the ones in my '15 if he painted them black.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration