1910 Torpedo - paint code for generally accepted blue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1910 Torpedo - paint code for generally accepted blue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Tosch on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:08 pm:

I like the blue color that seems to be the generally accepted blue for 1910 Torpedo roadsters. Does anyone have a modern paint code for this blue? Here is a picture of a Torpedo that was posted on this forum several years ago and to me the color seems very similar to the blue on most Torpedo's that I have seen, although it may be a slightly lighter shade than some.

Charlie Tosch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:14 pm:

I don't think that the shade of blue you show is dark enough. The name I have been referred to is Midnight Blue. It is an almost black color of blue. There should be a reference to it online, but I don't have it right now.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:22 pm:

I agree with Herb. The color you want (if you want it to look original) would be nearly black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:51 pm:

Midnight Blue is in the Dupont Centari Fleet Colors catalog and as Herb and Royce indicate, it's almost black unless you look at the chip in direct sunlight. I chose something less black called Midnight Regatta Blue which is a Ford color from the mid-eighties and is also available in Centari.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:14 pm:

This is what the original dark blue color looks like. This is Bryan Ostregan's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 07:20 am:

Perhaps the dark blue in http://oz.plymouth.edu/~trentb/Torpedo/TorMay7Y2K.html ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DiTullio on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:26 am:

Here is a picture of my 1911 touring with Dupont Centari applied. Paint code 81501 midnight Blue as specified in the MTFCI judging standards.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Tosch on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I now know that the blue I have always thought was Torpedo Blue is the incorrect blue. I'll go to the automotive paint store and check out color chips for some of the colors mentioned and see what I can find.

Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 04:36 pm:

I asked this question last year, you can check here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/103025.html?1251295745

I went to the local NAPA with the information about the 1985 Mercedes Benz Dark Blue code of DB 904 and the DuPont color code of W 8766 that was posted in the thread. They couldn't match the DuPont code but the Mercedes code did match their formulas. Their mixing code was 21051 and their system called the color "MIDNIGHT BLUE" . . . . and no I never asked them for that color of paint. The paint was mixed as a single stage enamel and will be used for touch-ups on a car that was painted 10-15? years ago . I did some testing and it was a very good match to what was on the car. The car has the black look in low light and dark blue in bright light. . . . the classic Midnight Blue characteristics. Below are a couple of photos that show the color in bright sun light (the tail light and carbide tank) and lower light (right side of car) conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 05:04 pm:

Great looking car Roger. I just love the 1912 - 1913 Commercial Roadster body. The color is about perfect too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks Royce. The car is a 1911 Open Runabout which was basically a Torpedo without the doors. They were a fairly low production car and were only built for part of 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Adelmann on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 06:25 pm:

Model A Fords list a black/blue called Andalusite Blue. It may be worth checking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 07:02 pm:

To get the correct Blue onthe 11's you paint it black first and then your blue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 11:18 pm:

Good information on this thread. I have a '12 which is currently black and I know it should be blue, but have never taken the step because I wanted to get it right the first time. The midnight blue suggestion has been around for some years, but when I look at the paint chips it looks like this color contains metallic particles. Can you have it mixed in a non-metallic base?

John's comment that you need to paint the surface black first and then blue makes a lot of sense. I wonder if it would be even better if the blue had some clear in it ?

Dick Fischer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:47 am:

My comment came from Peter Ratledge from Townsend De. he came to one of National MTFCA Nationals in Fulton Mo, as I was gathering up parts to build an 11 touring, he told me this secret to paint it black first and then the Blue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 09:40 am:

Dick, the color codes I listed have NO metallic particles in it. . . it is a pure color. The color can also be mixed in several types of paint bases. In fact, I had the paint that I used on the wood, mixed in an alkalid base and the other paint mixed in a standard base and both paints matched fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan DiTullio on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:37 am:

Here is a couple of pictures of my 1911 touring with Dupont Centari applied. Paint code 81501 midnight Blue as specified in the MTFCI judging standards.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:55 am:

Midnight Regatta Blue as noted in my earlier post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Harmacinski on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 06:04 pm:

from a Natl Champ winner John Griesenbeck who owns a high end body shop it is correct to paint it black first, then blue, as blue pigment is fairly translucent. The most correct blue I have ever seen is his Torpedo Roadster in Virginia, and he sent an original painted part to the Standox paint factory for match. It is very very dark. I copied the paint and have it under 1913 Ford T with BASF. The Standox formula is as follows for a gallon: 662 green 2306.6g 665 Brilliant Blue 3418.3g 612 black 3911.2 666 Deep black 3991.2g he then painted 2 coats black, wet sanded 600 then 800, 2 coats blue, then 1 coat blue reduced 50% with clear then final coat reduced 75% clear no sanding. This last part takes practice, but his body looks dipped and is flawless. Here is my 1913 with the BASF dark blue and black fenders. An almost identical match in color to Griesenbecks' Torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 12:11 pm:

Don't feel too bad guys. I bought a '13 roadster a couple of years ago for a Christmas present to myself. It is a great little car, and very sound too. The body, windshield and all the lights are painted beige, and the fenders and running boards, and chassis are painted green, and the wheels are natural. I've got a lot of painting to do!
Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Neece on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 05:45 pm:

Could anyone advise me on what is absolutley the authentic correct color for striping on the 1911 Torpedo roadster? Is it a white? - or a cream? Has anyone had any of the striping also analyzed by Standox?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:37 pm:

Should be French Grey.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration