Dave Hjortnaes in STL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Dave Hjortnaes in STL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:20 pm:

Last Saturday, Dave Hjortnaes passed through St Louis on his way home from Chickasha. He stopped at the Museum of Transportation in St Louis County, and Steven and Diana Thum and I met him there. Steven and Diana came in their T, and I drove modern. After a pleasant couple of hours in the museum looking at cars and (mostly) trains, Dave went to Steven and Diana's house for lunch. I had to beg off because I had committed to help my son move some furniture from his apartment to a new house. ("Hey, Dad has a trailer. Why don't we ask him to help?")

It's always fun to put faces to forum names.

mt1

mt2

mt3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:36 pm:

Dick:

You should have put Steve and Diana's names in that headline.

I wonder how many out there can pronounce my name or Steve's name correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:02 am:

I know how to spell and pronounce Daves surname. In the correct danish way. :-)
But what Dave missed Friday was that I found the El Reno trolley and the preserved station of El Reno which was now a small museum. So Dave - here is one for when you redo Route 66 with your family :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:52 pm:

Dave, I didn't think to do that because their being in St Louis isn't news :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 03:49 pm:

Dave Hjortnæs,
As I am new here, I am reading old threads in order to learn as much as I can.
In regards to your family name, I do know how to pronounce it. I also know what it means, but I am sure you do too.
Regards,
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 03:58 pm:

Hello Roar

Yes, my name translates to 'red deer headland'. Supposidely a spit of land surrounded by water on three sides, where the red deer lived.

Welcome to the forum.

dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:07 pm:

Thanks Dave!
A quick and easy translation would be "Elk Point".
Scandinavian "Hjort" (Cervus elaphus) is pretty much the same as North American elk (Cervus canadensis). You are correct on the spit of land sticking out into water too.
Lots of interesting stuff on this forum.
I stared at the beginning of 2010 a few days ago, and I am now up to April 1.
I enjoy all the pictures both of cars , people and most of all the educational detail pictures of the mechanical stuff.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:36 pm:

Roar,

Before I joined up here I read all the archived forums and was very impressed with the wealth of info being presented here on a regular basis.

That alone was reason enough for me to sign up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:46 pm:

Luke,
As you must have noticed too, there is a lot of information as well as a lot of opinions. It would be simpler if they all pointed in the same direction. :-)
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:50 pm:

I would love for someone to sound Hjortnaes phonetically for me, I'm guessing yort-nays. For Thum, I'm thinking of the Thames and guessing tum. How close am I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:01 pm:

Dolores - I think it's Scandinavian, not Mexican. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:20 pm:

Ken, how true.:-) My second guess, going from elk, would be that it sounds more like Hart, as in hart-ness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:31 pm:

You are pretty darned close, Dolores.
Ken you are correct. Definitely Scandinavian. I'm betting on Norwegian, probably from the southern part, as that's where the elk (hjort) hangs out.
I'm sure Dave can tell us.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum - Webster Groves, Mo. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:58 pm:

Dolo

Thum is German and is as common in southern Germany as Smith is here. We Americanize it Thumb but it's correct German pronunciation is tum with a long u.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum - Webster Groves, Mo. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:00 pm:

By the way, a big HI to Dave and you still have a standing invite the next time you come though St. Louis.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:10 pm:

Steve - thank you. Would love to see you and Diana again.

It is almost embarassing to see my name in lights at the top of this post.

Roar and Dolores:

You are both close, but still far away. My father was born in northern Denmark, north of Aalborg. I am not Norwegian. I am 100% danish.
In northern Denmark there is a small red deer and that is where Hjort comes from. Not from elk. There is a farm with the name of Hjortnæs. The name goes back to before the 1500's.

The story I was told is that the river, or creek, had a bend in it with a grove of trees in the middle of the bend. This is where the deer would hide during the day. Hence the name Hjortnæs.

In the states we make the J silent and pronounce it Hortness. In Denmark the sound is more like yordtness with a silent H. I cannot pronounce it quite right. I accent it because of the 2 syllables, and the Danes tell me it does not have an accent. David is pronounced Da-veeth.

Last year I drove to Chickasha on the mother road, Route 66. On my way home I stopped to visit with Steve and Diana Thum, and Dick Lodge. We had a good time together at the Museum of Transportation in St Louis. Steve drove over in his Model T, and I followed it back to his house for lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:39 am:

I am 300ft west of Route 66. You should have honked when you went by.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration