Chickasha - Fat Man Steering Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Chickasha - Fat Man Steering Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:20 pm:

On Friday, March 19th, Michael Deichmann posted pictures from Chicksha in a thread titled "Day 2 of Chicksha". His picture #65 of 137 (shown below) is a Fat Man Steering Wheel of the sliding type, not the more common hinged type.

Does anyone know who the vendor of this part was, and if it sold? I have a friend who is not a Forum user who is interested in getting one of these. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Keith Gumbinger (I hope the picture posts ok).

steering wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

If I remember right, that was in the south building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:04 am:

Keith,

Contact Bob Scherzer--he borrowed mine a few years ago to reproduce and might have some. I think he had the centers made but was having trouble finding a wood rim to fit.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:56 am:

Keith, the reason I took that picture was because I have one exactly the same sitting on my Ford.

Unfortunately the small plate with the manufactures name is virtually impossible to read until I find a magnifying glass and a better lamp.
(and yeah - it's in the workshop for various spring preparations - the handbrake for example needs fixing)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:27 am:

What is that bracket (coming from the bulkhead) holding the handbrake. Is that some sort of safety accessory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:43 am:

looks like a wrench to the dash to hold the brake on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:01 am:

Concerning the fatman - this particular type was made by Neville and were made for different applications. In the top photo, you see that the wheel is NOT inverted as in the second photo. The inverted one is the correct application for a "T".

The "bracket" is a TT truck wrench as supplied by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:34 am:

Just for the record - I tried to manipulate the original picture above if I could read any information on the little tag. but my 4 megapixel camera was just not enough :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:54 am:

Regarding the bracket Robert initially made remarks on, yes - it is a Ford T wrench - spark plugs in the open end and rim nuts in the other. I am not sure what the hexagonal next to the open ended wrench is for though.
My pawl in the handbrake has loosen all the teeth and I have just not replaced it yet, and the wrench just had the right dimension and was handy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:55 am:

Two of the Neville Steering wheels sold on ebay last year. Believe it or not one sold for $650.00 and the second one a few weeks later sold for $450.00. Some of these guys have much more money than I like to spend. I have three of them on my Ts. When it comes to prices they are the top of the line. I really prefer them to the swing type (they slide rather than swing) BUT in a closed car they do rattle. There is a device to tighten them so they won't rattle so bad BUT then they won't slide very well. On very long trips I have resorted to installing hose clamps to quiet the one in my coupe but then you can't slide them.
I tried to take picture of the patent plate but didn't do very well.

A453a Patent Plate

This shows the wheel in the up (open) position.

A453b Wheel in up position

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:57 pm:

Maybe my balancing the flywheel when I did the engine do just the difference so ratling is not a big problem :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:43 pm:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the Neuville ID.

Tim - Thanks & I will contact Bob Scherzer.

Michael - Thank you for posting all 137 pictures. It's very nice to see what's there for those of us who couldn't be there. I was there once in about 2000 and enjoyed it very much. I'm now semi - retired but spending the winter in Florida. Maybe next year?

Any additional information, especially who the vendor was, will be appreciated very much.

Thanks again, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:57 am:

Michael & Dave - How do like your Neville fat man wheels? Is there any play or looseness in them?

Also, does anyone know who the vendor was that had the one for sale pictured at the top of this thread, and if he sold it?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:45 am:

Keith Gumbinger:

I have had a lot of different fat man wheels over the years and like the Neville the best. As I said above in a closed car you can sometimes hear them rattle. I have tried different settings on the anti rattle device that they have but either you let it rattle or fight trying to slide them. I only notice the rattle in a closed car especially my coupe but then there are plenty of other rattles so I guess it is a small price to pay for the ease of getting in and out of my coupe.

A365a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 12:06 pm:

I started this project with the help of Tim Moore that loaned me his Neville slider steering wheel. His was curved up which he was using in a speedster so the extra height was an advantage with the seat placed farther back. They also produced one in the inverted T style (second picture). I also started work on one I had that hinged up and out of the way.

I would have gone forward with the project until I started to look for the wood rims to fit to the casting. The prices for just the rim were well over the total cost that I had hoped to market them at. I had hoped to have them in the $300 range as a complete unit and with most T guys anything higher and they want to know where the rest of the car is at for that price. LOL. I have started to make up a cutter to make the glue finger joints since commercially produced ones only cut in a 1/2" and original rims had glue joints at least one inch depth. I have the equipment and materials to make the rims but not the time.

I did after some research find that a hinged adapter was produced that used the original wheel and was bolted to the steering column shaft and the hinging part held the wheel. It does raise the wheel but only about an inch or so. This unit could be produced for under a $100 which might have a chance in the T market. Bob

fatman steering wheel

fatman steering wheel

I got this picture off this forum by someone that posted it but mine is similar.

fatman steering wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 01:40 pm:

I think the vendor was Mike Roth from Nebraska. He was outside against the south wall of the north building. He had a white peg board with a number of different steering wheels on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken parker on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:43 pm:

Keith,
The steering wheel you asked about was sold and went to south Texas. Friend of mine asked me to let you know.
Ken in Houston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 04:59 pm:

Dave, Bob, Kim & Ken - Thank you for the information.

The Neville fat man wheel sounds like a good accessory - we'll keep looking.

Thanks again, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

Bob,

I have a flip up device that uses the Ford steering wheel and allows it to go all the way to the windshield and might be a canditate for you??? I like "fat man" wheels and have several, the nicest is an anti-theft, fat man wheel that when un-locked, the wheel just spins unlike most that lock the wheel.

When is the Jackson fire truck swap meet and are you going? I am only 10 miles out of your way and would like you to stop by if you have time--how is the headlight project going and are you about done with the "loaners" I am starting to miss them!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:57 pm:

I have a NevilleMoreRoomSteeringWheelCo steering wheel on my speedster. This version has a very low profile. In the down position the cross brass bolt barely clears the steering gear case.Neville More Room Steering Wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:07 pm:

Neville More Room Steering Wheel picture 2Neville More Room Steering Wheel pic 2

Note the "pyramid" center which allows the lower mount on the shaft. This wheel is made with the Model T shaft size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 11:07 am:

There is a nice one hanging on the wall in a friends garage, but he wants 600.00 for it, if anybody is interested I'll pass the word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 11:47 am:

Ed - Is the one you mention above a Neville brand? If it is, it should have a metal tag with that name on it on the wheel.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:20 pm:

Yes, It has a "Neville Steering Wheel & MFG" Detroit, with patent dates on a tag on the top of the aluminum frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 06:25 pm:

Ed - I've sent you an email.

Thanks, Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration