ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 03/28/10 AKURET DIP STICK OIL GAUGE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 03/28/10 AKURET DIP STICK OIL GAUGE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:20 pm:

Here's an interesting accessory dip stick oil gauge for your FORD.

akuret 1.jpg akuret 2 (1).jpg akuret 2 (2).jpg akuret oil gauge ad.jpg akuret oil gauge.jpg akuretoilgauge.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:44 pm:

Repro still available. might just order one...
http://www.modeltford.com/item/3079AKE.aspx

Chers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:48 pm:

Adrian,

Thanks for the link to Lang's, I wasn't aware of this accessory. Has anybody tried using this with a 1926 or 27? I assume the angle of the splash apron is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:12 am:

I am sure other dealers sell it too. I note there is another thread on 'supplier satisfaction' - I am not pushing one over the other, just noting that a repro is available.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:48 am:

Hi All

Akuret Oil Gauge Patent
George Henry Wallace
Patent number: 1354788
Filing date: Aug 29, 1919
Issue date: Oct 5, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/ykmwmec
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ykmwmec

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:59 am:

Very clever how it allows you to read the oil level without having to open the hood! Best of all the Texas T folk are making them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 01:37 am:

My 26 touring has one of these. As Robert said above you can get them from Texas T. The one I bought a few months ago from another vendor for my 27 goes under the hood near the carb. It has a cheesy looking plastic t-handle with the words "OIL LEVEL". I probably won't use it. Happy T'ing. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:25 am:

It's new to me that they are actually a gadget from the era. I realise it may not be as big an issue today as it may have been then since the roads today is smooth and level, but I just wonder how it will handle if the frame and body a twisted due to bad roadconditions. Not good if the brass angle fitting break and most of the oil leaks out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:25 am:

Hmmm, the description on Lang's website says that this can be used on 1909-1925 except 24-25 sedans. I have a 26 roadster and I think this would be a great accessory for it. I think I will give Lang's a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:26 am:

Texas T Parts is making those, and they have two lengths. The 24-5 Sedans and 26-7's are longer to use with the later style splash aprons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:13 pm:

What you don't realize at first is that you have to cut a hole in your splash apron to install it.

Like Michael said, with all the twisting and turning a Model T does as it saunters down the road, it just might twist off and you have a nice oil slick behind you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:24 pm:

Great item. I picked up a NOS piece at Hershey a few years back. There is a rubber groumet that goes into the splash shield keeping the rattle
down. The one made by Texas T is an exact repo. I could not tell the difference. The price is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 09:59 pm:

Wasn't there someone offering a different reproduction dip stick that was somehow mounted right between the hogshead and behind the carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 08:26 pm:

While this is a very nice piece for a Model T accessory collection I completely agree with Michael D. and Dave H.
The Model T is simply too flexible to make this device practical in the long term. The rubber grommet at the splash apron only makes matters worse.
Sooner or later the fitting that screws into the engine pan will fatigue crack from the movement of the long tube extending to the outside of the splash apron.
Then what happens next is not good under any circumstances.
In my opinion you install one of these things on any Model T at your peril.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 04:33 pm:

An another magazine ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:41 pm:

My 26 touring has one of these from sometime in the past. Sure is a handy way to check the oil. I'm not driving the car at the present time but if I were I'd explore the possibility of cutting out a section of the tube and replacing with neoprene hose to form an expansion joint to help avoid the possibility of breakage. Just my $.02, your mileage may vary. Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration