ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 05/05/10 BENCH MOUNT ENGINE STAND

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 05/05/10 BENCH MOUNT ENGINE STAND
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 11:27 am:

Here's an engine stand that bolts to the water outlet on the block. By locking and unlocking the vise the engine can be rotated 360 degrees while working on it. The piece that mounts to the block slips in and out of the vise clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:35 pm:

Dandy tool there Jay !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:40 pm:

I want it...... really, really bad!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 03:54 pm:

This patent is very similar to Jay’s engine holder,
and as many patents get changed slightly for ease
of manufacturing or cost cutting, I will post this one
as being “similar or close”.

Patent number: 1351232
Filing date: Aug 22, 1919
Issue date: Aug 31, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/2cd7n3k
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cd7n3k

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:40 pm:

I think you better have a big and heavy bench to mount this engine stand if this is used to hold a complete engine. It is probably best used with a short block only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:46 pm:

Here are some better photos of the unit apart. Notice the tiny spring to keep the shaft from binding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:48 pm:

Jack, I think you right about it being for short block use rather then an entire engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:51 pm:

It would sure be simple to make something similar. Couple old back main caps, a chunk of crankshaft, a welder and a couple bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:55 pm:

If that says Ekern on the id tag, it was probably made in Flandreu, SD. A friend of mine has a couple different t engine stands and other tools made by them. I believe the family is still operating a good sized plumbing business headquartered in Flandreu. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 07:01 pm:

James, Yes it does say EkerN on the tag. I have several different rear axle towing repair axles made by them. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 02:09 am:

Modern engine stand are much to the same principle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 06:42 pm:

And another magazine ad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration