26 Roadster windshield installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 26 Roadster windshield installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 08:07 pm:

Trying to install 1/4" safety glass in OEM frames. The beading I purchased from a supplier just wont work. (like trying to cram 10 lbs of ____ in a 5 lb bag). I have some Loctite Black Gasket Maker, comes in a caulking type tube,it sets up semi solid. Would this be a good beading material or would the common sealer used to install modern windshields work? Or does anyone have better ideas? Thanks Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:16 am:

Don, I really am no help, on this subject. I just paid a local glass shop to cut and install my 26 roadster glass. It cost me only a few bucks more that the listed price for glass from one of the vendors without the special shipping charges. I figured the final cost was the same or slightly less to have the shop make and install the glass then order and install it myself.

Have you called or stopped in to one of your local glass shops and just “talk” with an installer to find any tips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:38 am:

Don, this link might solve your original problem.
i.e. beading (glass channel) not used. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1501
I don't know what calking to use, but I would check with the local glass shop also as recommended above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Jensen on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:02 am:

Don, I used the glass beading from one of the vendors, I soaped up the glass and beading with dish soap, sprayed a lot of Windex, got the glass started then used bar clamps to squeeze the assembly together. The process took about 2 hours each for the top and bottom. When we were done my assistant / CFO said we're not doing that again we can pay someone, so we can avoid the stress. Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L. Dudgeon on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:20 pm:

I have a windshield problem. 1927 coupe that has a broken winshield. How do I get the frame apart to put new glass in place? I removed all screws, etc., but cannot seperate the frame components to put in the glass? Help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:18 pm:

For the coupe windshield, place the assembly flat on grass and using a short piece of 2 x 4, whack the bottom of frame where the glass enters. Move along the perimeter of the frame and you will see the larger bottom section separating from the shorter top section. Just be sure the wood is flat against the glass and don't take too big of a chunk at at time. The key is to move the pressure along the lower frame.
I suppose the same procedure would work with the windshield still in the car, but pad the top of the gas tank and hood, maybe even place the windshield horizontally on a stout cardboard box as you tap, tap, tap the pieces apart. I have done many Model A closed car windsields with the wood block method and it works.
Marshall

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration