Star brand Band tool question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Star brand Band tool question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:33 pm:

Found this at a local shop last week, I know these were discussed before but I can't seem to find the thread. The unusual thing is I do not recall the other ones having the three fingers in the center, nor the spring clip thing which is chained to the center rivet and has been there since new. The big questions I have are: what do you think the fingers did, and what is the clip there for???
star-tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 03:01 am:

Could it be for holding the transmission bands in place while assembling the peddles and adjustment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 05:34 am:

From the looks of it the fingers simply assure that the grips for the bands stay in alignment. My first thought about the clip was that it's a precaution for preventing the whole thing from falling into the tranny but I find it hard to believe you would have a problem with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 06:19 am:

The item above sits across the top of a tea cup and the chain and clip hold the tea ball or bag.

Perhaps the clip holds the nut from falling in the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 06:52 am:

Is there a patent number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 07:02 am:

Perhaps the clip holds the washer in place while you drop the nut in the transmission. (grin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 07:31 am:

Maybe the fingers keep the springs from trying to bow upward and go flying before you get the shafts inserted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 10:09 am:

From the looks of the reinforcement ridges on the casting, I would say the tool is used to hold something apart. The cross links would be to limit how far apart.

Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 10:49 am:

Back in the days before detachable bands(pre 25)it was neccessary to remove and replace the transmission cover to get the job done.This tool was used to compress the springs with the shafts set up with their washers and nuts. With this tool in place the whole hogshead unit could be lowarded down over the bands.(These were tied of clamped in place leaving an opening to accept the shafts)
It works but the detachable ears were the better idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 11:40 am:

Ah, and the clip holds the handles together to keep the springs compressed! Neat item.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 11:57 am:

The tool is defintiely a band spring compressor. The original question was referring to the three bars that extend through the tool just above each of the three slots. I have one, but it is not offset like the one in the picture. The handle mechanism is centered up on mine. Mine does however, have a little "fork" on a thumb screw screwed to the side of it. Any idea what it is for? I wonder is it was screwed to it to keep them together and the fork has to be removed for whatever use it had?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:51 pm:

Well, I guess none of us know...

There is no pat no.

Dennis - The "T" cup is on the bottom of the oil pan, so the chain is nopt long enough to get there... :-)

Bands need to be compressed together - not apart. But the reinforcements support the fingers either way

The arms on this one go down to compress the fingers together, and when compressed they stick out to the sides - so it will not fit thru the inspection hole cover if you are trying to put the hogs head over it while on the bands. Not to mention that the early clutch shaft is longer than the later ones and would be in the way of doing that. The Hogs head must be on before the too is used I would think.

The only ideas that makes any sense is that the fingers keep the ears in alignment and the springs from bowing up. The clip on the spring could help hold the nut or washer, so I guess Jack is right in saying it helps you drop the nut and/or washer into the bottom of the pan.

Good thoughts. Dad is working on someones tranny now, so maybe he could play with it and let me know how he thinks it works. Then I'll let you all know.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:15 pm:

Hi All

Perhaps a bit of a longshot but . . .
This the closest match that I could find.
I can't see the top of the tool in the photos,
and the toggle lock is a cam style rather than a linkage style,
but this might have been the inventors
original concept before being modified by Star.

Inventor - Robert B. Steuart Kansas City, Missouri
Consigned to - Irving E. Johnson Kansas City, Missouri
Transmission Band Clamp
Patent number: 1540815
Filing date: Jun 3, 1924
Issue date: Jun 9, 1925
http://tinyurl.com/2f8sehx
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2f8sehx

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 02:06 pm:

The thumbscrew held a u shaped plate to use when locking the band ends in place. It is similar to the one offered by the vendors today.(Most of these are missing) Yours may be missing. With this in place and the springs compressed on the shafts in the hogshead, the hogshead unit sits right down on top. (With the wings spread ,the compressed springs stay that way til you pull up on the wings.) Hope this clears up things.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration