Light weight trailer hitch for my T Pickup?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Light weight trailer hitch for my T Pickup?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:52 am:

Good morning - does someone out there have a couple of photos or diagram as to what's the easiest way to hook up a light weight trailer hitch to the springs or frame? We have a little single axle Hot Dog cart we ocassionally want to use for functions, outings, etc. - Thought it would be a Hoot to take it out with our '17 Roadster / Pickup-

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:14 am:

This is an original accesory, but you can easily make one from a piece of flat stock if you have access to blacksmithing equipment or an oxy - acetylene torch. It attaches to the U-Bolts that retain the spring to the frame. We pull a 1000 pound (fully loaded) two wheel trailer around with no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:37 am:

Don, those original accessory hitches attach to the center brackets (bolts) holding the rear springs together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 01:42 pm:

Looks like a big \'ol Ruxtell on that rear axle . . Did ya do it in kinda a 'T' shape? With the 'T' having a slight bow to it?

Thanks so much . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 02:32 pm:

Royce - My '23 touring came with a home made hitch similar to yours and it seemed pretty "stout". However, Don mentions that the hitch will be for his '17 roadster/pickup. Due to the extra length "overhang" on a typical "T" pickup, I'm wondering if the hitch assembly attached to the spring/rear crossmember U-bolts would have to be much longer than your (or my) hitch and perhaps present some unique problems,...??? What do you think Royce? Might require some sort of extra bracing somewhere between the rear crossmember and the hitch ball due to the length I'm thinking,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 04:56 pm:

Don,

It is a U shaped object with each leg of the U picking up two of the bolts. I suppose you could make it longer if necessary.

If I was in need of one I would get some 1/4" X 3" strap steel and some 2" X 2" X 1/4" thick L - angle. Start cutting and bending and welding. When it looks like its strong enough to work then it is time to stop cutting and bending and welding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 06:04 pm:

Don
I made one for my 23 roadster pu and incorporated
it with a bumper bracket and bumper.It could have been made stronger but it works with the trailer I made, its a clone to the wood bed on the pickup and is for looks (I like it.) could
snale mail picturs (computer was stolen three
weeks ago using an old borrowed one and need to get a new one and reinstall everything } Let Me
know here or private.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 08:10 pm:

Although I have both the pickup bed and the Turtle deck as well - it's probably been three years since the turtle deck was on (Grandsons LOVE riding in back with 'Crazy Grandpa') Don't worry, very 'rural' back roads and fields!

Possibly, I could begin the hitch at the two 'U' bolts on the spring and then also have an extra brace right thru the bed of the truck - steel tom n' bottom?

It's 33" from the rear side of the springs to the tailgate . .

THanks so much for your input!

'Mikey' would tell me to jus' "Tie it on with a rope . . and, just pull it 'UP' Hills" (remember, we're in Florida!!!)

Thanks / Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson, McGregor, Texas on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 10:07 am:

This is what I used. Perhaps it can be modified to suite your needs. Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:31 pm:

I like the idea of the standard reciver hitch to stay on the T!!! Of course im a little one sided as there is one on the rear of the pick up i have another to install on the front,each 5'th wheel has one on the back and there is one on the front bucket of the backhoe! I have a male with a pintle hitch and one with a large vise,and i need 2 recivers for the farm tractor i just bought!!! Did i say i think i like it? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:44 pm:

my 25 touring has a period accessory hitch. It's basically a big flat U about 1/4" thick and 1 " across. The ends of the U bolt through the u bolts that hold the spring to the frame and the center has a drilled hole for the hitch pin or ball.

I must admit I've never used it- how much dare we haul with a 20 hp engine and wood spoke wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:02 pm:

The receiver hitch would be nice especially if you could hide your receiver.

(Non T) Bud, I use pintle balls on my truck, PU and tractor. Then I can pull any trailer I own w/o switching hitches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:45 pm:

John,Just a little black paint and it would be hard to see! Your's looks like a better hitch than mine but mine came with the trailer. I even changed the tounge on the very large gravity box i haull and store the heating corn to a 2 5/16 ball!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:49 pm:

Bud, You don't have to be near as good a backer with the pintle hitch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:05 pm:

John,Thats one reason i need a reciver on each end as with the wagons! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration