1926 Touring interior panel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1926 Touring interior panel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:03 am:

Thank you all for your advice about making the repo headlight parts fit. I'll continue struggling with that today. I did go ahead and bend the rim tabs over more - very carefully - until the glass now appears to be firmly locked into place. Those wire rings, though, still cause me grief. I can't use the originals because when I took the headlights apart for restoration, the rusted and broken pieces simply fell out with the reflectors. So, I didn't see their orientation or placement. Thanks again for the help!
I have a new problem, however. In the interior panel kit I received from Snyder's, the very marginal instructions call for the door check straps to be tacked to the wood in the doors. Huh??? Considering that the doors are ALL steel, this may be difficult to do. In fact, I see no place where straps were ever located on the door skin: no holes, no remaining strap fragments, no indentations on the door skin raised edge for the strap to lie neatly (without bulging) beneath the cardboard door panel. In looking through Bruce's book with open '26-27 cars shown, I see no door straps on any of the open doors. So, my question is: were there even any door straps on these bodies? Perhaps earlier or later in production, but this one is a July, 1926 Touring.
Finally, in the wood kit, there were many pieces that do not go into my particular vintage production, being either for early or late Tourings. This particular car fits in the middle of those dates and apparaently uses very little of the EXPENSIVE wood kit. All four side hip panels simply slip into the crimped and rolled edges on the body, not being tacked into any wood. Was there still wood behind these cardboard hip panels? If so, to what end? I see no way of anchoring these wood pieces if they are supposed to be installed. There was a wood frame for the rear beackseat rest, but nothing for the front. Is there supposed to be a framework also for the front seat backrest? If not, what keeps the back seat rest springs from just being crushed against the metal panel behind? And how would the seat springs be anchored? I looked at the wood placement diagram from New Ford Wood and it shows NO wood backrest configuration. By the way, there was no such diagram included with the very expensive wood kit; only a list of the wood in the kit and whether each piece was intended for an early or late Touring. Very helpful.
Hmmm. Wood pieces that aren't used are supplied in the kit, yet wood that is needed for the front seat backrest is NOT included. One rear top rail curved piece was two inches away from the body in the arc and many pieces had to be HEAVILY sanded and trimmed to fit. Very disappointing quality wood kit overall. Have others had the same problem? And we wonder why American production is going off-shore when we as a country can't even make little wood pieces properly anymore!
These problems are typical for the way this restoration has been going, in case you sense a hint of frustration in the air coming from my direction. It's enough to drive a guy to Model A's.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 03:39 pm:

There should be a wood strip in each of the door posts Front has one at the post where the hinges are and one where the striker plate is. The upholstery is tacked to that strip. The strip is behind the metal and the tacks go through the holes. On the back, the strip is on the post where the striker plate is located. There is also a curved piece of wood at the curved door opening below the door. I don't have any straps on my touring.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 06:33 pm:

I haven't seen a 26 Touring up close but isn't there two vertical metal strips that support the front seat-back? You can just make out one in the drawing below.

26-27 Touring Body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 06:42 pm:

The only wood in the front seat is the tack strip around the top and the tack strip at the bottom back which is bolted on the metal seat riser at the back. There are also wood strips at each side of the seat riser to tack the side pannel. There are no vertical wood supports on the front seat back rest.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 06:44 pm:

for the springs in the headlight buckets, you must lock the ends first before you place them. You cannot lock them after they are inside the buckets.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration