Sad to see some nice old ford left outside!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Sad to see some nice old ford left outside!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 01:56 am:

Sorry for the long story, for such a shame.

So I have been getting sketchy reports from a few different people (friends and family) of a couple old fords in the neighborhood for the past couple months. None of them really know much about old cars. My brother was the first to tell me about them. He states at least one of them is a T and the other might be an A. He describes them as old jalopies that I could probably pick up cheap (not like I have room for another car) Just recently my sister tells me of two other old fords near the reports of the other two (what’s the chance), but this time I have an address. So finally I went by a week ago.

Yep two old Ts. A very nice runabout all redone, beautiful car. Also a Fordor, paint ok, wheels need to be redone, and all the glass is there, nice new roof, no headliner. From the alley I cannot tell if the rest of the interior is there or not. Lots of junk in the yard, the cars are behind a chain link fence that has plywood on it so it was a little hard to see the cars.

Well today we received about 8” of heavy wet snow. I was out and about so I decided to drive by and see if they were still outside. Yep. Probably no big deal on the Fordor, except the windshield is open. But it has to be some kind of crime to leave the roadster out there. It is beautiful; I wonder how a Minnesota winter is going to treat the upholstery and the top. The top looks brand new (well did), not a wrinkle in it last week, I wondered if it has ever even been down once it went on.

I wonder if these are not inherited cars, for as much work that had gone into the roadster, I could not see someone leaving it out for any extended amount of time.

I should take some pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 08:32 am:

Have you knocked on their door and asked about them yet? Nothing will happen if you don't. I've come across some good deals doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 09:55 am:

Kenny is absolutely correct, make contact. You just never know ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 01:11 am:

I will have to stop by later this week.

When I first saw them I was hoping they were just outside for a while as some other messy project was going on in the garage. But there is no way I would leave them (at least the roadster) out in the heavy wet snow.

My wife surprised me by saying I should stop by and pick them up if he wants to get rid of them. I suggested resell the roadster. But she also stated the same problem I already knew. Where would I park them? I have a one car garage. Our T is going into storage (soon). Last winter I had two cars in that garage. Hum…..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

We are escentially in the same boat Jason. I have a 2 car garage but I don't want to leave the new car outside. The T occupies the other spot. Saw a 24 "doctor's coupe" in a driveway a few miles from the house a year or so back. Stopped, asked and was given a decent price if I wanted to keep it but too high for profit on a re-sale. Pondered it for days then let it go. Mainly because I couldn't do any thing more with it than the owner had with the exception of a few yards of plastic to cover it. My eyes are bigger than my storage space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul B on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 02:04 pm:

Jason
let me know what you find. I might be able to talk the wife into another T if the price is right!!
I'm north of you 30 minutes.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 02:17 pm:

there is a model A near Dayton Ky that is in the bad situation - uncovered and rotting away. but the owner is going to get right on it - thats the story for 15 years - If yiu ever go around storage garage facilities, you see alot of this also - a 1954 buick century - sat outside for 10 years there with the front window out - no covering - but the owner was always going to do something this next summer - it finally went for junk and was crushed - it was a good car to restore when he bought it, but junk when he sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 05:51 pm:

All too common. A tiny percentage of these cases may indeed occur because the owners are evil and stupid, but most are probably the result of a very human failing: good intentions, but a complete inability to realize how quickly time passes and how quickly we age.

I'm a good case study. Last week I was changing my baby girl's Huggies; tomorrow I'm writing her college tuition checks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

So I have been stopping by these Ts for the past few weeks and knocking on their house door, with no luck. I may just have to write a letter!

I could tell they are around cause the dogs is out (sometimes) and they erected a metal temporary tent over the Ts. However, I knew the tent would not hold up to a Minnesota snow storm. Well it snowed again (4-5”) this weekend.

The tent failed. But the Ts appeared to be very luck. The closed piece of metal framing appeared to be about 6” from each car.

roadster

Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:32 pm:

Jason:

Use the QwestDex reverse address lookup to see if you can get the name and phone number and try calling them:

http://dexknows.whitepages.com/reverse-lookup

I'm in Minneapolis but I don't recognize either car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:44 pm:

I want the 4 door!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:57 pm:

You can have the roadster Eric. I will take the 4 door. :-)

Keep us informed if the owner shows up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:02 am:

You are all in trouble as I know where they are hidding out, and I would not mind the 4 door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:07 am:

How disrespectful of someones work :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:07 pm:

Patrick

You lost me with that quote.

I think Erik, Jason, and I are merely complimenting the current owner's cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:17 pm:

Dave H, I took it that Patrick meant leaving them out in a snow bank was disrespectful, but I'll let him speak for himself.

I want the roadster but not until I have a place to put one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:45 pm:

You can already see that the top on the roadster is sagging from the weight of snow on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:54 pm:

When I saw the roadster for the first time this fall the top was nice and tight and looked as if it had never been down. We have had 2 very heavy snow falls before the tent went up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:07 pm:

The top is not sagging because of the snow. It is sagging because the front bow is not in the proper position.

There are two eyelets on the second bow. When the top is stowed in the down position, the pin in the front bow is placed in the lower eyelet of the second bow. When the top is in the up position, the pin in the front bow is placed in the upper eyelet on the second bow.

This guy has the top up, but does not have the front bow pin in the upper eyelet of the second bow where it belongs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:23 am:

I have seen a few of these over the years. My dad and I followed up on a AA truck one time, the guy nearly shot us, and ran us off. A few years later he told us to get - he was going to restore it. Then, a couple years later, a road project went thru there and they bought all the land. Before we could get ahold of someone who could help save it, it was buldozed into the ground. I live close to a storage garage, and Ive seen alot of cars literally rust away. Same situation - someone was always going to restore them. A 55 buick century sat outside at the storage area for two years with a broken winshield - I mean busted out! no cover over it. It finally disapeared, the manager told me it was abandoned and crushed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 07:54 am:

That's what I meant Dave and John. It's a shame to see them outside like that knowing someone labored to restore them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration