Building a wood cab truck....need help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Building a wood cab truck....need help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 09:54 pm:

I'm building an enclosed wood cab pick up truck. I've just started and I'm trying to set some dimensions. Can I get some feedback on what width and height some of your cabs are?? I was thinking 42 inches wide but that seems a little narrow. Not sure at all on the correct height....if there is such a think as "correct" on a wood cab truck. In any event, I've never built one and don't have one here as an example so I'm asking you folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 10:30 pm:

James, I will be glad to send you some measurements of my cab but It's pretty boxy and I don't know how it would look on a car chassy in the form of a pick up. There are many wood cabs that are much more stylish that would probably look more at home as a pick up truck. I'm just afraid the cab would dwarf a little PU bed. If Interested let me know and I'll email you some measurements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 06:56 am:

John, Anything would be good for a gauge. Right now, I'm working to a width of about 42 inches. But that doesn't leave much room between the steering wheel and the door - only about 3.5" or so so it just didn't seem right. I'm thinking I can widen to about 44" possibly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 09:20 am:

James.

I have posted this a couple of times before and the members here are probably getting sick of seeing it, but I believe that one of the best ways for you to get the dimensions you need for your ptoject is by buying and assembling an "Entex" 1:16 scale plastic Model of a Model T van. The detail on their models is fantastic and the model itself can be used to make a set of full sized plans. Simply take some close measurements of the model and multiply by 16 to come up with the full scale size of each dimension and part. This is what I intend to do one day when I complete the many projects I am now working on. Jim Patrick

PS. There are also very detailed Model T vans available from the Franklin mint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 10:37 am:

John,

There are few trucks as stylish as yours...well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 10:44 am:

Agreed! John's truck isn't just stylish, it's mighty fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:05 am:

James,

My '18 TT wood cab is 47 inches wide across the back and 48 inches wide at the windshield. I can't tell you how tall it was because the top was cut off over 60 years ago to make it an orchard truck. Also, from the firewall to the back of the cab is 44 1/2 inches. This cab is in front of a 5 foot wide x 8 foot long stakeside bed. I believe they are the original cab and bed.

You didn't say if you are building your cab for a T or a TT chassis. I imagine the demensions of my TT cab might look a little bulky on a T chassis due to the fact that it's about 2 feet shorter than a TT chassis. However, just a thought, I wouldn't want my cab to be much narrower due to the fact that if it were you would not be able to sit directly behind the steering wheel and pedals.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:08 am:

I'll bet the cab of John's truck gets downright toasty while driving during those cold Iowa winters.

John, that looks original. Is it, or is it a post Model T era fabrication? Whatever it is, it looks fantastic and very well made! Can you post more pictures from various vantage points that would help James (and me) get a closer look, such as the interior and the bed? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:30 am:

All - Thanks for the information. I'm building this truck on a "T" chassis - it used to be a Fordor sedan. My theme here is to build what a farmer of the 30's would have built upon acquiring an old Model T. That said, I'm going to use the fenders and running boards from the FOrdor....including the rear fenders. That's what a farmer in 1935 would have done I'm guessing!

Like I said, I was working to a width of 42 inches but it seemed a little narrow. I may expand a few inches to 44.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 12:27 am:

James, My cab is 44" wide in front, 48" wide in the rear. It maintains 48" wide to the front of the seat, then tapers down to 44". It is 43 1/2" long which makes it a little close to the steering wheel. The roof Is 54 1/2" tall at the back of the cab, 55 1/2 at the B pillar and 53 1/2" at the front. It looks square in the photo but It actually has a little curve to it, although certainly not a "Swell side" by any means".

Gary, Seth and Jim Thanks for the complements. Jim I'll post some pic's on Hap's thread, "John Berch Truck"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 12:37 am:

I really cant give you any feedback on what size you should build the cab.

I would suggest taking some thin (1/2x1/2) scrap wood strips to make a simple frame work and then staple some cardboard to it to represent the cab. It maybe a little crude but you will get a good idea if the size will work for you. One other tip, really consider the amount of space the seat and upholstery will take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 02:39 pm:

One though would be to make the cab out of the front half of a Fordor body or put a bed behind a coupe body. That would certainly be an authentic '30's homemade truck. Barring that, you could your pieces of the old family Fordor, like the windshield, and base dimensions off that. For an authentic homemade farm truck, base your dimensions off the length of boards you happen to have laying around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration