OT Ford "Cash for Clunkers"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: OT Ford "Cash for Clunkers"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 05:56 pm:

At the end of September I bought a brand new Ford F150 PU. I have had it for about 1 1/2 months and it has less than 2000 miles. I really like the truck but have had a problem with it from almost the 1st day. I noticed that when I was going uphill at between 22 and 25 mph it makes a metallic grinding noise that sounded like it was coming from the drivetrain. I took the truck to the dealership and they worked on it for two and a half days trying to figure out what the noise was. They could hear it but did not figure out what was causing the noise. This noise is fairly loud you can hear it even if the radio is on. Any way they had Ford look into the problem and have come up with the following very unsatisfactory to me solution:

"2009-2010 F-150 4X4 vehicles with 6R80 transmission only. Some customers may be concerned with a rattle noise that occurs at 25-30 mph in 4X2 only. During lugging events especially on uphill inclines when the engine load is increased during the maneuver. It also may surface during tip outs during the same speed range and lugging conditions. This is the result of high torsional inputs from the powertrain being transmitted through the torque converter and transmission into the rest of the driveline. The noise has been determined to be the mode clutch arrangement in the transfer case (both ESOF and MSOF). Replacement of components will not alter the condition. This is a normal vehicle characteristic and service should not be attempted. This condition does not affect performance or durability of the vehicle. Effective date 11/11/2010"

Now I'm at a loss as to what do I do? If you had a rattle in the door they will fix that, but because it is an expensive part they don't want to do anything about it. I don't have a grinding metallic noise like this in either one of my T's. and no rattles as loud in the T's.

I guess this is Ford's new "Cash for Clunkers" program. I pay good cash for a brand new "Clunker" Any suggestions on what I should do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Schaller on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 06:14 pm:

Drive it like you stole it, and turn up the radio. Sorry, but if you can't live with the noise, dump the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 06:55 pm:

The inner secrets of a FoMoCo dealer operation...shhhh....

Service writers work on a steep commission scheme...mechanics work on the standard hours thing...you know they work 40, get paid for 80 which not to belittle but that has always amazed me how they can always break standards!

So....busy dealership? They don't have time for your problem! Ford warranty may offer 0.4 hours for diagnosis...and unless that mechanic can find it in 0.2....he just isn't interested...bigger fish to fry....so like Bill said, Drive it like you stole it, keep it in first and have AAA...because until it's obvious to them, the system workks against you at a busy dealer........

On the other hand, your warranty is good at any Ford dealer and if you find one with a small service dept, only selling 60-70 cars a month, a bit turned at the edges...try there...they may be happy to back bill Ford the 0.4 diagnosis time...otherwise their mechanic is making zippo!

All else fails send a nasty letter daily to the regional office director, he gets graded and bonused on time to respond and customer satisfaction surveys.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 06:55 pm:

Find out for yourself how much noise other trucks of the same type are making, either by trying friends trucks or test driving new ones. Are they better or worse?

Check out lemon laws, there may be something there you can use, especially this early in the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 07:08 pm:

Dolo - That was the first response from Ford to the dealership. They asked the tech to drive another one like mine. The tech responded that he could not because my truck is a Regular Cab XLT with an 8' box. There is not another one like it he tried 4 different dealerships, they are all extended cab, crew cab with shorter beds etc. I had to special order this truck to get the long bed regular cab in the XLT package with the 5.4L V-8. The dealer has tried to be very helpful, I know for a fact that the tech that worked on the truck worked for more than 16 hours on my truck. The roadblock is with Ford Motor Company. Ford knows there is a problem that is why they issued the above "Special Service Message".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 07:17 pm:

You've had the truck for less than two months, and you aren't satisfied with your purchase. Any dealer worth his salt would want to make it right because right now the last thing they need is someone going around town saying how $h%%y the cars are that they're selling.

That release from Ford is also BS. From the sound of it, they designed a sorry clutch pack for the transfer case, and it seems like there is too much play in it and when it loads up it rubs. The short and simple explanation of that release tells me that their engineers have determined that the part will not malfunction within the warranty period and is therefore not their problem, it's yours. I would seriously talk to the dealer and tell them you aren't going to pay for a truck that might break down within the first 10k miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 07:28 pm:

The nature of the breed ? Ford says the noise is normal for lugging conditions. It looks like you have an automatic transmission and did not tell us if you are 2x4 or 4x4.

Try taking it out of lock up torque converter by taking it out of overdrive. Try all settings and listen at each setting. It may have the noise when in one selection of gears but not in another sort of like a noisy Warford in overdrive condition.

I use a 99 Dodge 250 Diesel Pickup with an automatic and two wheel drive. When it was new I had un-necessary down
shifting at about 1600 revs issue where when pulling a hill. It would come out of lock-up torque converter and down shift into 2nd gear racing the engine at about 3400 revs and would not upshift until going over the top of a hill and going down the back side. They said it was how they stopped the truck from blowing black smoke when pulling hard.

I put a Bank's system on it and it with a brain that over-ruled the Dodge brain and it acted up even worse. Took it to the dealer and they "re-flashed" the computer and all my troubles went away. I didn't have a noise just a shifting issue. But the dealer knew the problem when I carefully explained it and fixed it in about 15 minutes. For the past 10 years I have been pulling that same hill at 1600 revs all the way to the top of the hill.

Good communication is very import and you must have a good listener. As stated above try another dealer. Have your ducks in a row with all results in all gear settings and go have a talk.

I did and it worked.

Dodge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 07:43 pm:

I have a good friend who was having trouble with his truck. He called the salesman who sold it to him and he brushed him off with an attitude. He then called the owner of the dealership and told him he was bringing it back and going to park it in his "drive-thru" showroom. The dealer said, "We don't have a drive-thru showroom" My friend replied, "You will when I get done!" needless to say the owner took the truck back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 07:53 pm:

Well if the dealer allowed 16 hours spent on the truck,then he aint trying to do you wrong best I can tell.
If I was paying the price of a new truck and it was grinding corn going down the road,Ford would own that truck again thru the legal system.this is the first i have heard of this and I am around alot of people that drive new trucks and would complain till the cows come home if they were haveing issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:08 pm:

Frank - I have not been able to produce the noise with the 4X4 engaged only 4X2. It also only makes the noise if the shifter lever is in D or 3. This is the new 6 speed automatic. It also has a tow haul mode but will still make the noise if the tow haul mode is engaged with the lever in the D or 3 position. It does not seem to affect performance just makes noise.

Mack - I agree, I really do feel that the dealer is trying. I have a call into the General Manager I will see what he says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:10 pm:

Maybe just turn the radio up a bit on hills?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:55 pm:

Went through something similar with my wife's '07 Ford Fusion SEL V6...wouldn't start. Would crank but wouldn't start. 6 months and 7 different Ford dealerships later someone figured out that it was a faulty fuel pump inertia switch.

Problem is, unless the computer indicates a problem...there's really not a problem. George hit the nail on the head...these guys get paid through a system that does not allow them to actually diagnose ANYTHING.

We bought a gently used Dodge Durango and have had no trouble at all. And yeah...it's got a Hemi :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs - Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 10:01 pm:

Mike,
It appears there is a TSB to address your concern. I will contact you offline with the details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill siebert on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

The "99 Ford I bought in June 1999. It had a 3 year warrantee so I figured I was good till June 2002. After about 2 and a half years it had a problem with the cruise control. As I came up to a stop, I got on the brakes and the cruise did not kick out. As the red light got closer, the transmision started shifting into lower gears and the V10 began really pulling. Before I got to the light I put it into neutral and it stopped. This was in January of 2002. That week I went to the dealer and told the service guy what happened, he wrote it up and announced it wouuld be $400. I said, "Wait a minute. It is under warrantee." He said, "The van was built in December of 1998. The warrantee ran out last month."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 12:32 am:

These stories all sound like the same Ford company I had dealings with. Worst vehicle I ever owned was a new 2003 Super Duty Crew cab XLT. $8500 in repairs in the 6 years I owned it but never once did it give me even 3 months of trouble free operation. Total of 60K miles on it with 5 brake jobs in the first 50K miles. Faulty fuel sensors at $500 for repairs. Frozen fan clutch that took out wiring harness. $2000 for that. Ball joints all shot at 39,000 miles to the tune of over $900 - they said that was normal. I never hauled anything in it heavier than a blade of grass. 17 hours coming home from T tour a year ago in July. Kept blowing off the turbo hose. Nothing open late Saturday night coming home. Couldn't go over 40 MPH or it would blow the hose off. When I got it home from that tour I took it to Toyota dealer and traded it for a Tundra. 16,000 miles on the Tundra since I drove it home from the dealership. Oil and Filters is all I have done to it so far. It has not been back to the dealer for anything. Each night I say a small prayer for the poor SOB that now owns my "built Ford tough" F250 Super Duty truck. You couldn't pay me to park one of those things in my driveway. It ruined every vacation we took while we owned it. I have no idea how they got to be #1 in truck sales but there is no doubt in my mind they won't be #1 for much longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 12:37 am:

We had O rings give way in the head on our 99 7.3 powerstroke and limped to a Ford dealer,parked the 5'th wheel after hours on their lot and the truck was fixed the afternoon of our first day there.Truck built in feb 98 titeled model 1999 so we fessed up! No problem!! We have proably trailored 50,000 miles behind it,been to Alaska,and several mountainous states and when we pull the 18' enclosed with the T in back of the 5'th wheel we are over 22,000 pounds! Very little trouble and it's a workhorse!! No way on God's dear earth would i ever try to replace it with a wanna bee pice of jap crap!!!!!!! If your talking trucks look in the campgrounds and see what the 5'th wheelers use! Bud. Ps,Ain't nothin like the real thing!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 12:54 am:

I'm going to continue to work on this. Just the opposite of the problems John had with his 2003 Super Duty. I traded a 2003 F150 4X4 Reg cab XLT for the 2010 F150. The 2003 was an absolutly great truck. I drove it 100,000+ miles 1 set of brakes and regular oil and filter changes. Never a problem.
2003 F-150
2003 F-150

2010 F-150
2010 F-150

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 01:01 am:

Had an '85 F350 with the old 7.3, 4speed manual. I ran that truck over 200K and never gave any problems.

Drove an '03 F-750 with a 21' Chevron rollback bed- that truck had the most screwed up electronics in it. The gauges would never read correct, the ECM died once. This ride would carry the mail however. I could sit back and ride at 80-85 mph all day long with a full load.

Another company truck was an '06 F-750 with the 5.9 Cummins motor. With one car on the plate and another on the stinger, it wouldn't get out of it's own way if you pushed it. But that may have been because it was an automatic. It ALWAYS wanted to shift at the wrong times.

Ex wife had a '07 Ford F-150 with the 4.6 gas motor, that was a good truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 08:50 am:

Have had a few PM's on the subject, asking more about fixed ops at dealers. I wasn't out to bash dealer ops above, just explaining how the system "might" work if a warranty issue is not obvious to the service writer and technician.

Obviously, lot's are satisfied and 99% don't have this kind of problem.

Here's another one for fixed ops. You go in for service and warranty, they handle you OK, car/truck fixed and done when said it would be. You get a follow up survey. On the survey you check off the middle choice "satisfied" all the way down.

What you probably don't know is that in the dealer world and with respect to that service writer and technician is that "satisfied" is like a grade of 75 and 75's affect their final pay and not in a positive way.

So...be kind, they treat you right, make it all right for you, give them an above average or an excellent...doesn't cost you any more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 10:42 am:

Opp's,I forgot to mention the huge disc brakes all around that made spitting distance of 100,000 miles trouble free! 10 years from the org batterys but the alt went out at about 30,000?? We got about 80,000 out of the U joints and everything in the front excetp u joints was rebuilt/replaced at same time as the brakes.Truck is noisey and rides hard but will haull 6 full sized adults and anything you put behind it! Also at almost 12 years old starting to rust but i live on a clorided gravel road! Not shure when but i would like one more new truck and at 65 one should doo me? It will be a Ford!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:10 am:

I wholeheartedly agree with Mike, Luke, Kenneth and others. We use our Ford 3/4 ton and 1 ton Super Duties on the ranch and pull the living daylights out of them. In over 140,000 miles on them I've replaced 2 alternators, one serpentine belt and a half a dozen glow plugs and blew out a power steering hose on one of them just this fall... that's it! I am 100 percent satisfied with products from Ford Motor Company and am proud of the fact they chose to deal with their company business economic situation themselves and without assistance from the taxpaying public!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:43 am:

Don I agree - but they need to do better with my new truck. I don't think I should have to listen to grinding noises in a new truck, I believe they should repair the vehicle. I know they have a repair for the vehicle because if you notice in the SSM that I posted it only lists 2009-2010 vehicles with the problem. It does not list 2011 trucks that have the a new engine with the same transmission set up. They found a fix but they don't want to fix mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.M.Head in St Sauveur Quebec Canada on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 03:18 pm:

PUt a big sign on truck that says LEMON. Park in front of Ford dealership. Allow them the opportunity to resolve the issue, or leave truck parked. Contact local media. Worked for my father with a lemon Buick Regal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 03:22 pm:

When I was working as a mechanic full time, nearly half the cars that came through the shop were Fords, or one of the Ford brands. I loathed working on the because there was nothing about how they were laid out or wired that made any logical sense for repairs.

Next down from Ford were Chryslers, dear lord you want to talk about some junk. We had a fair bit of GM stock come through as well, but most of their problems were minor except for the Caddys, they had an electrical system from hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom K. on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:46 pm:

My two cents for what has become a controversy. Our company used Chevy trucks until 1988. After to many repairs we switched to Ford. We purchase two trucks and a salesmanís vehicle every two years. When we trade them in they have between 100,000-150,000 miles on them. We have done nothing but normal maintenance on them. Four years ago we tried one Dodge, it didnít compare to the quality and service we receive from the Ford trucks, we replaced it with another Ford. There is no way we would switch to a foreign truck. After all, this is America. Itís possible to get a lemon in anything, but all I can say is, with the trouble free vehicles that weíve gotten from Ford, I can understand why they have been the number one selling truck for thirty three years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 09:10 am:

Over the year Iíve had eight ford trucks. With the dependability I have had with them, I wouldn't think of buying any other brand. All trucks have only had regular maintenance done to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:48 pm:

I had the Service Manager call me last night from the dealership. All he tried to do was to insult my intelligence. He tried to tell me that this was a normal sound and that it was not even a mechanical issue. I called him on it and I re-read the part of the SSM that said "The noise has been determined to be the mode clutch arrangement in the transfer case" He then said "Oh I guess you read it closer than I did". This is getting interesting. They said they would look into it further and get back to me on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:54 pm:

update: They sincerely hope that my future experiences with Ford products will be more positive because my satisfaction is of utmost important to them and they would like to maintain a long-term relationship with me. What a joke!

The following is an e-mail that I received from Ford Customer Relations on Friday.

Dear Mike,

I have received your email regarding the noise on your 2010 Ford F-150 and would like you to know that I sincerely understand how inconvenient this has been for you. As much as I would like to further look into this concern, I am sorry that it has been determined that your vehicle is operating within normal characteristics and that no repair services is necessary.

I appreciate the fact that you have been a loyal Ford customer and am truly sorry for the inconvenience that you have been experiencing with your vehicle. Your feedback is highly valued by all divisions within Ford Motor Company and serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement. I have documented your comments which will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review and consideration. Rest assured that our Engineering and Design personnel are constantly working on ideas in improving our vehicles to meet the comforts and satisfaction of our valued customers such as yourself.

On behalf of Ford Motor Company as a whole, I truly regret the circumstances which caused you to write us. I hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive because your satisfaction is of utmost important to us and we would like to maintain a long-term relationship with you.

Sincerely,
Mea
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:33 pm:

Looks like that was written by some consumer geekazoid fresh out of college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:41 pm:

Look at the Customer Service address...It's probably from India!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo CA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:08 pm:

Mike;

My Ford truck experience was somewhere between yours and John Reagan's. I'm glad lots of people have had good experiences; mine was not, and based on the cost of new trucks I have no interest in providing Ford or Dodge a second chance. "Screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me". It ain't gonna happen.

Our cars might say Honda and Toyota but at least they were assembled in the USA. My Dodge truck was assembled in Mexico; my Chrysler Concorde was assembled in Canada. So which one of these companies provided more american jobs, excluding the expensive repair bills and administrative overhead?

We drive the Hondas and Toyotas at least 160k before even considering replacing them. Right now one's got 168k, another 145k.... we've had no problems with either one and I'll keep both until at least 200k.

My current Dodge truck, with 95k, has had the transmission replaced twice. My Chrysler, with 78k, has had a number of components replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:42 pm:

Gary,Are you talking trucks or roadster pick up's?? Like i said before if one is interested in a truck see what moves people in the campgrounds?? In all my years and miles of rv'ing i have seen one 5'th wheel on a tundra and it was a cuger built lite for a 1/2 ton!! So are you talking truck or car with a hole in the back?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:13 pm:

My experence with Ford trucks over the years has been very satisfactory. I have bought new Ford PUs since '72. My first Ford truck was a 1950 F1.
I started buying new Ford PUs in 1972 and my last one is an '09 F150. The trouble with a lot of people they don't buy a real truck. They buy something that looks like a truck and then they bitch about it not doing this ar that.
You people talk about your Jap crap, my last Ford PU, I drove 123,000 in 13 yrs.
Just keep buying your Jap trash and I'll keep buying my Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:44 pm:

Richard - How would you like your New F150 to make a noise like your tailpipe was dragging? Then be told by Ford that this is a normal sound. Nothing to be worried about. I'm sure you would be happy right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:59 pm:

Mike, all I can say to you is, you need to find a different dealer. If it is that ouvious and I owned it, it would be corrected, trust me. I would take it to the dealer and get someone there with authorty and personaly take him for a ride
That person that sent an email and only signed Mea sounds like a phoney person.
I don't know how you contacted Ford Motor Co. I would take the owners manual and find a phone number for customer relations and I would call them and talk to a person with a pulse and demand this problem be corrected.
Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:10 pm:

Mike,
Kudos on the long bed f-150's.
Why do they even build lesser trucks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:08 pm:

Richard - I have taken the truck to two different dealers, the second dealer is a Friend of mine and also an antique car guy. He owns the oldest Ford Dealership in Nebraska and the 3rd oldest in the nation, it was opened in 1909. I did give them rides and they have heard the noise. Because of the "Special Service Message" that I copied in the very first post the dealers hands are tied. I have a copy of the "Special Service Message" only because the dealer gave me a copy of it on my request. If they work on the truck then it voids the warranty all together. I have also talked with people at Ford Customer Service on the Phone on 2 different occasions and I get basically the same thing from them that is in the e-mail. I have a copy of the "Special Service Message" only because the dealer gave me a copy of it on my request. It is not the dealers that are the problem it is Ford Motor Company that is the problem. I sent the e-mail request to Ford via the MyFordOwner web page. The reason I did this was so that I could have it writing that they were not going to do any repairs to my truck. I had heard it on the phone already. By the way when you talk to them on the phone they only give you a first name. The last person I talked with his name was Guy.

Robbie - It is almost impossible to get a long bed regular cab truck in anything other than just a plain work truck. I had to order the 2003 and the 2010 to get a long bed regular cab with the XLT and 5.4 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

The one before my new one, I bought it off the lot and it was a Lariat regular cab 8 ft. bed. This new one is a Lariat 4 door with a short bed with a 5.4 engine. It has 21,000 and handles my 8.5 X 20 ft. enclosed trailer great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:36 pm:

Mike,

Just a thought. Have you considered calling your local District Attorney?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:48 pm:

Paul - That is a good thought, I'm following the guidelines in the owners manual. I'm currently in the process of filing a claim through the National Better Business Bureau. I just received their packet of forms in the mail today. They can take it into arbitration with the company and hopefully come up with a solution. I just want to get my truck fixed. I like everything else about this new truck. It is a very comfortable ride with plenty of power and it is getting just over 16 mpg driving back and forth to work. I hope that being tenacious in finding a solution works. That is my current plan. If the BBB can not work out a solution in the next 45 days as advertised by them then I will probably have no other choice but to seek a legal solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:51 pm:

I kinda agree with George on this. Try taking it to a smaller dealer.

I've had nothing but good service with my Fords, they are all I have in my stables with the exception to my foreign military vehicles.

I think the service you do at home makes all the difference. I am one of those that's kind of anal about the mechanics of his vehicles. Always checking the oil and changing it probably too early, grease job every quarter, tighten/retorque every chassis and engine/driveline fastener every 50,000 miles, etc. The result on the two trucks I bought new..2000 F150 xl supercab 4.2L V6 some dents and dings now but 300,000 miles on the odo and never changed a part except for the alternator and usual things like plugs, fuel filters, wires, etc and with my tweaking gets 26mpg. 2002 F150 xlt Lariat 4.6L V8 Supercrew just hit 100,000 miles and just changed plugs, filter, and dpfe. I get 24mpg on this.

I think it's really all how you take care of them. Port and polish job, tweak the computer a little and improve the ignition and you really can get more bang for your buck out of them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:55 pm:

I drove a bow tie 2001 1500,4x4 Std bed and cab
for 140,000 miles, lub and oil and 1 fuel pump.
just finished a 5,000 mile trip, one blow out ( at 90 mph with no problum, and oh two warnings for going to fast). One month after I returned home some S>O>B stole it from my drive way.
I'm now driving a 2010 F-150 Std bed and cab. Hope it holds up as good as my old BOW TIE, only time will tell.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:04 pm:

I know the earth is round instead of flat,but how can all of it be Downhill?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:13 pm:

Patrick - Until now I would have been in agreement with you. This truck is the 27th Ford I have owned in my lifetime. This is the only one I have had that the company would not get behind. I have not owned this truck long enough to even service it the first time. And as I said before I have taken it to two dealerships. They can't do anything with it because of the SSM put out by the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie, Chehalis, Wa on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:26 am:

Mike,
Save yourself some time and go right to the lawsuit. It is the only language they understand!
Arbitration is a joke, the arbitrator doesen't even have to know anything about a car he's basically a guy off the street (probably a retired businessman) that signs up to be an arbitrator...believe it or not!
Been there done that and have the T shirt (and the check)
A dang shame it has to come to that...I started off just like you, jumping through the hoops and being a nice Guy.....it doesn't work!
Good Luck!
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo CA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:45 am:

Ken; 1990 Ford F150, 2000 Dodge 1500. Not a roadster pickup.... I use my trucks to pull 5th wheels, car trailers, horse trailers and hay. I don't abuse them and don't baby them. I'm not sure where your question about a roadster pickup came from... I've never had one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:51 am:

Well that sucks :-( I dunno if you could file a suit agianst them for it but man I'd try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:05 am:

Well, Sometimes you have to go about things a little differently. I own a repair business and was a Nascar Crew Chief for a little over 5 years. The team owner bought us a new 2oo5 f350 4 door dually to pull a 48 foot, two car enclosed hauler. Well the first time I pulled the cars to the track, it didn't shift right, so being a mechanic, I called the owner and said he had better get it back to the dealer.

I had checked the fluid as it was dark and burnt smelling with only 1500 miles on it. So he took it back to where he bought it and they agreed the fluid was burnt, but they couldn't find anything else wrong, so they recommended changing fluid. They then informed him that it would cost him $325.00 because the fluid is considered maintainance and not covered under warranty. Let's see, the fluid is burnt with less than 1500 miles and they couldn't find anything wrong?

So I called the service man myself, who I had known for years and he said they only pay for new fluid if they find a "mechanical failure". HMMMM Mechanical failure ehhhh? So we hook the trailer on, put two cars in and off to the track we went. In about 175 miles, she blew up. Ford paid to have the truck as well as the trailer towed back home, put in a new trans and fluid without any hassle at all.

Here I was trying to save Ford some money by bringing this to there attention early and maybe have something simple to fix, but all they wanted was to find a "mechanical failure" and that is just what we gave them.

I think that if it were my 2010 pickup, I'd chain that pig to a tree and "find where that noise is coming from!" Maybe you will have a "mechanical failure!"

Good luck, Paul

PS that 05 f350 is still going with over 150,000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 02:04 am:

Paul- If nothing else I got a chuckle out of "chaining that pig to a tree and find where that noise is coming from" - Thanks probably a very good suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:07 am:

We had a 89-f-150 with the 300 six and while it never gave any trouble in no way shape or form is/was it up to haulling even our smallest 5'th wheel!! We also had a 77 heavly beefed up chevy 1/2 ton with a 400 engine and local we scrimped by with our small 5'th wheel with the 18' enclosed car trailer plus the model T inside!! Luckly we replaced the chev with our F-250 7.3 Crew cab before we left the flatlands!!!!!! Like i posted before,check the campgrounds and see what is the standard of the RV crowed! This is a big country and what you may slide by with in the flatlands is shure to get you killed in the mountains!!!!! Being old and poor i can only afford 1 Truck and it has to do any job i give it! Our larger 5'th wheel is proably about 14,000 loaded and 2450 of that is on the pin box so a lesser truck,never!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:50 pm:

Bud- I traded a 97 F350 for my 03 F150. My F350 was a little under powered for towing compared with the F150. Believe it or not. The 350 was rated for something like 15,500 towing capacity and the 150 is rated at 13,500. My F350 only had a 351 engine and it did not have the power that the 5.4L has. My open car trailer is light with the Model T or a tractor and the 150's do a great job. My stock trailer is a little heavier but the 150's do fine with it. I have pulled through the mountains several times no problem. Performance is not the issue. This noise makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up everytime I hear it. Ford calls it a normal sound. I have never heard it any of the trucks I have owned before. They are just not willing to repair the problem. They know what it is, they have admitted to knowing and they are telling me tough cookies, you must live with this noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:02 pm:

Paul M - Thanks I have called our Attorney General this morning and they are going to look into the case.

Paul N - If the above does not work then I think it would be time to "chain that pig to a tree."

I will let you guys know what the outcome is. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:34 pm:

I got a laugh out of the "chain the pig to a tree" suggestion, but it is a great idea. After all, you didn't buy a work truck just to be a driveway ornament. At the very least, use it like it was intended, but never too far from home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 08:38 pm:

I do not know when they updated/upsized the F-150 but im shure there a lot more truck than the old ones! We just droped the brother in law off to pick up his 2007 f-150 and after replacing the in tank fuel pump,cleaning the injecters,and a couple of other small things he droped over a grand!!! Earlier he had a lot of problems with brakes but the neighbor had even more trouble with a chebby.I think any truck made will give problems once in a while but that's when you need a dealer that want's to sell trucks?? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration