ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 11/29/10 FERNALD LITTLE BRATS STOP THE RATTLE AND TAKE UP WEAR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 11/29/10 FERNALD LITTLE BRATS STOP THE RATTLE AND TAKE UP WEAR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 12:31 pm:

I have a set of these installed on our 15 roadster and they do keep the brake rods from rattling. The down side is that oil and road grit mixed with spring tension eat into Henry's parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

BRATS???

Brake Rod Antirattle Tension Spring???

Love the name.
I have the same type on for the tie rods up front. I guess by the same folks?

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 12:49 pm:

I have seen the characteristic wear marks these leave. When did these first come out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 02:14 pm:

Hi All

The first patent listed appears to cover the
anti-rattlers in Jay’s photos, and the second
which was filed the same day uses a slightly
different spring form and attachment method.

Floyd G. Withrow
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Brake Rod Antirattler
Patent number: 1820721
Filing date: Oct 21, 1929
Issue date: Aug 25, 1931
http://tinyurl.com/26fpqoh
http://preview.tinyurl.com/26fpqoh

Floyd G. Withrow
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Brake Rod Antirattler
Patent number: 1779153
Filing date: Oct 21, 1929
Issue date: Oct 21, 1930
http://tinyurl.com/2dbouw3
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dbouw3

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 05:30 pm:

Larry, Thanks, it didn't dawn on me what B-R-A-T-S stood for.

Eric, Many companies knocked off copies of these devices. I believe they were first offered in the teens.

Art, Many thanks for the patent stuff you take the time to add.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 06:09 pm:

Who could hear that specific rattle! I saw a 26 tudor yesterday that had an accesory tensioner on the front spindles I had never seen before. Those things are nice to look at,most weren't necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 07:21 pm:

I can just hear it now.

"Yeah, I put the little brats on the brake rods, shouldn't hear another peep out of them from now on."

I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 01:33 pm:

just adding the 1920 magazine ad for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 03:29 pm:

Thank you for the updates. I, and many others, appreciate your efforts. Considering three freshly posted advertisements today, maybe you received a nice Christmas gift?
Happy New Year! And drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 04:12 pm:

Wayne, Thanks for the kind words! I don't want people thinking I am shamelessly pimping my threads by bumping them to the top at years end.

I always didn't have the time logistically to find ALL the magazine ads that I have access to here when I posted a specific item. If I don't add these to the threads before the end of the year the 2010 forum will get locked. Expect to see lots of additions of magazine ads for the ACCESSORY OF THE DAY STUFF until the end of the year.

My entire effort here is to ad as much documentation for these accessories as possible that can be searched for and enjoyed for years to come here on the Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 07:24 pm:

An another magazine ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:36 pm:

And another magazine ad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration