Snow Travel Attachments for a "T"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Snow Travel Attachments for a "T"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 01:44 pm:

Anyone that is out there and would like information on these units or help in putting one togather,I have a 30 year collection on information on parts,advertisements and history
in my files ie.factory letters,drawings and pictures. Need help contact me.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:27 pm:

Bob, just sent an email, would sure like leads on parts and info so I could put together a Model T snowmobile. Passed up a roadster snowmobile in Idaho Falls about 20 years ago, still kicking myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 05:04 pm:

This was for sale in Chickasha this spring:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 06:32 pm:

I would like to make some of the attachments to go snowmobiling with friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 07:53 pm:

Here are a couple of ads (1924-28)

Note the Sold by autherized Ford dealers only
and the for Fords,Chevrolet,Whippet & Durants.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 09:29 pm:

Bob... I sent you an email as well.. I am wondering what to do with a 12 chassis I have and was thinking of this... There is some interest I see, so tell us what you are thinking.

Thanks...

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 09:52 pm:

Do you have any pictures of actual T's with the different attachments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

The Model T Snowmobile Club is a chapter of the Model T Ford club of America. You can follow the links from the "Home Page" to find them.
It looks like fun. I was was thinking about putting one together. A little over an hours drive from here is what has to be one of the best roads in the world for a snowmobile tour. Miles and miles of it. We have hiked in and out a few times. I will try to post some pictures after dinner.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:46 am:

I have a copy of the orig.advertisement film produced by the F-S mfg.Co's and there Snow Bird (later became the Arps Corp.). It has Mr B.F.Arps and his plant superentent and test driver Flying over the Wi.country side in 1930.
Michael:
I didn't get the E-Mail please try again.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:52 am:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=T%20snowmobiles&search=Search&sa=X&o i=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Check out this link. These folks seem like they're having some chilly fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:55 am:

Jim
I have meny pictures of there verious designs,
drawings of chassis assemblies,drawing of parts and some patents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:03 am:

My totally self-serving purpose to post this picture without a T anywhere nearby, is to try to entice some to acquire and bring model T snowmobiles here so that I can see them. The roads up there are beautiful roads for Ts in the summer, and breathtaking in the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:35 am:

OK Wayne. What Hwy # in what county? and what peak in the backround?
You talked a hour from you....in what direction? I'm trying to guess. I'm familiar with hwy 49 north of the 80 towards Gold Lake. Am I close??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:54 pm:

Well, Scott, you nailed it. That picture was taken on Gold Lake Road about a mile up from Bassetts. My wife and I were hiking in to the Sardine Lakes area. It was about a five mile round trip. Much of that road is groomed for snowmobiles in the winter and it is nearly three feet deep and packed over the road surface. The guard rails are mostly completely covered, in some places by more than a foot. When we got off Gold Lakes Road, the walking got more difficult. We walked out onto Lower Sardine Lake. That is the Sierra Buttes in the background. The little dot at the top of the peak is the old lookout station. A few years ago, my wife and I hiked to the tower at the top, but we drove a little closer first (not much). It is about twenty miles from Bassetts to Graeagle on Gold Lake Road with a number of nice little side roads.
I have been threatening to turn my chassis with the beginnings of a depot hack body into a snowmobile. If I could get a few others in the state to join me up there, I just might do it.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:13 am:

Wayne, I've been to the Buttes. My wifes family has been vacationing at Gold Lake for near 40+ years. First at the old "Y" or Boy Scout camp on Gold lake, but most recently at Gold Lake lodge. The family is large enough now and with newer younger couples we've taken to camping at the Lakes Basin forest service camp north of the lodge about a mile. I've been 20 of the last 30 that I've known and been married to my wife. Bassets has ice and bait in summer.
You are right about that road, it would be a blast to drive in snow. It's sure beautiful in summer.
I also have a long time friend that I grew up with married to a Deputy in Plumas County (you are in Sierra I believe)They live just east of Portola.
I'd love to live up there if I could just find something to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 11:41 pm:

My wife's family has been camping in the "Lakes Basin" since she was in the sixth grade. As incredible as it is in the summer. It is spectacular in the winter. We have lived in Grass Valley (Nevada county) for five years. Here, we have enough snow to love it, but not enough to hate it. We are fifteen minutes from a lot of snow most of the winter, and a little more than an hour from Bassets.
Yes, work here is a real problem. (Unless you want to be in the drug trade, then it might be a different kind of problem.) I currently work for the local school district. The internal politics stink, and every day I show up for work I lose money.
Next time you are in this area, try to let me know.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 01:54 am:

Wayne Sheldon:

I have always thought that one of the best possible MTFCA Tours would be the whole length of 49. There are so many interesting old mining towns that could serve as over night accomadations. You could easy make it a 5 day tour by starting on the South end and end up in Sierra City and spend the night in Truckee. From Tuckee you could use old 40 back to 49. I think 49 is one of the most interesting road in the U.S. You have Yosmite on the South End. Sutter Creek where Gold was discovered, Hang Town, Auburn and the Main Streets of Grass Valley and Nevada City. You have the Empire Gold Mine in Grass Valley. North San Juan is worth a coffee stop and so is Downieville. So others know this tour would take you within a short distance of where you took your picture. For those that like to visit covered bridges they could take some side trips to some still in use. The One over the middle fork of the Yuba river, below the Town of Rough and Ready, is much larger (if its still standing) than any of the bridges in the East. Another easy side trip might be to the US Forest Service Look out on Banner Mountain above Town Talk. I have listed only a few of things to do and see on higway 49. I have seriously considering doing this trip by my self one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 02:02 am:

My brother, Rattler, put this one together last year, then sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 02:06 am:

Oooppps, Try again when I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 02:14 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 03:34 am:

Frank, VERY COOL!! Is that a defroster fan on the dash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 07:06 am:

Would love to see a few more angle pics if available, Frank!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:43 am:

Darn you guys. Now that I've seen all these great pictures, I am interested!

How does the tag axle mount? Also, how is the tension for the tracks set? -Do you have to deflate the tires to put the tracks on?

How much time, do you figure it takes to switch from summer, to winter (tracked) mode? I assume back in yon-olden-days, this was what was done. I'm curious how long this would take. I see that you have to change the spindles, mount the tag axle, seems like many an hour, but it sure looks like fun!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 01:02 pm:

To all interested,the snowmobile kit and parts are being remanufactured for information Contact:
Brian Moriarty
NH Snocar
PO Box 514
Center Harbor NH. 03226

E-Mail nhsnocar@roadrunner.con
Phone. 603-253-9917

I have no intrest in his bussiness other than continuing the use,assembly,and history of this part of the Model T's history.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 03:30 pm:

Hi Everyone! I just read this thread more and love the comments about the Gold Lake road, Sardine lake, and the Buttes..

I live in Meadow Valley which is 8 miles west of Quincy, Ca.. I have been all over the Lakes Basin summer and winter, and to the top of many of the peaks in the winter on cross-country skis.. Beautiful area for sure.

Around Meadow Valley are also many roads to go on summer and winter.. I have been on a bunch of them in my TT.. Just putting along. Up at Bucks Lake (5 miles up the road from my place) there are several hundred miles of groomed roads. But with a snowmobile T built on my 12 Chassis, I could just run right off the ranch onto National Forest roads and go 'till I was tired! Not to mention just tracking around on the ranch itself.

Bob... Thanks for the info! I will check it out for sure..

Wayne... If I put one of these together, we could meet in the middle of the Gold Lake Road... you coming from Bassets, me from Graeagle! Easy.. Say, you don't have a Jeep, do you? Many times I have driven my 53 M38A1 from Laport road to Downieville.. Ha.. we could meet in the middle of that one too!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 04:18 pm:

Christopher

Some of there advertisements stated only a couple of hours to change over. There bunnies must have been working over time .The removel of the fenders,Gravel shield ,running boards and running board brackets,then mounting the Boggie axel,changing the front spindels putting the cleats on I don't think so. But it was a great sales pitch.
I believe that by 1930 the Model T was cheap
in wrecking yards,the attachments and parts for the T units were available on order untel 1941.Meny just had a second car all ready to go when the snow came.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 04:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 04:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:46 pm:

Michael and Wayne, Those roads are all Beautiful, but I think the road from Graeagle to Gold Lake is pretty steep? Up might be slow but down might be a rodeo.
Boy you guys got me wanting to get my T finished and bring it on Vacation!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:24 pm:

Bob,
I visited the Snowmobile Club website, and read up on them too.

Pretty neat. More stuff to keep an eye out for when I drive back to the prairies for Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

Scott, the Gold Lake road isn't that very steep. Some day I would like to take my T all the way from 49 to Reno... The Henness Pass Road does that. Real pretty dirt road in the summer and fall, closed in the winter and spring because of...SNOW. If I had a Snow Bird or other conversion you bet I would throw it on "Rusty" my 1927 pick-up, and try that trip in mid spring!

Wayne, let me know if you like to drive the local snowy roads and I'll call you some morning after a snowfall at 0-dark-30 to go out with some other T guys on back and mountain roads.

A friend made me promise not to tell anyone about the time I pulled his '42 Ford Jeep out of a snow drift with my 1913 T "Mountain Wagon". Wish I hadn't agreed because then I could tell you all about it!

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 01:33 pm:

Hmm, If you have seen some of Terry's pics of where he's taken Rusty; his "not steep" is other's people's version of "cliff" !
Heh, heh, heh!! :-)
BTW, sure is a bunch of us North Stater's on this forum! When are we all going to get to get together and have a great BBQ?
Yeah, I know, hip waders, and probably snorkels, will have to be handed about to keep above the BS that will develop!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 05:20 pm:

Lets see, if I can make a snow setup for my almost a depot hack. Terry could get a set for Rusty. David D. for the Martin/Perry (I think I spelled that wrong again). We could have a snowmobile Nor-Cal meet! With snorkels and waders.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:27 pm:

I see I pair of SNOW spindles on eBay. I have no connection to the auction. Just passing on info. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:22 am:

Wayne, Have a look at this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-Model-T-1926-Model-T-truck-Snowmobil e-like-Model-snowmobile-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c18401458QQitemZ12066593698 4QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:28 am:

Scott
This apears to be a home made unit and very nicly done,none of the components apear to be Snowmobile,Snow Flyer or Snow bird the tracks ,from what I can see are more like the Eskimobile design.
It looks great and looks to operate very well in the snow.

Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration