Vaporizer intake question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Vaporizer intake question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:21 pm:

in the never ending quest for power(haha). I just came up with the brainstrom of adapting a tillotson carb to the intake mainifold (the runner tube only). Was the runner portion of the vaporisor system larger ID then the 26 and before intake mainifold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:24 pm:

i guess this question is for the vaporize exhaust mainifold too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 06:32 pm:

Tyrone, I've been thinking about the same thing for my speedster. I have a vaporizer and the intake manifold looks like a natural (with a simple adaptor) for a side draft carb. I have a regular exhaust manifold to replace the upside down vaporizer. Wondered if anyone had tried it. If you do it let us know what carb you end up with.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:20 pm:

Gary, glad im not the only wacky person. I am thinking of making an elbo down tube to bolt on the runner. The carb im thinking of is the Model A Tillotson carb. It has a cfm of 61 +/-. Nearly double the NH. I do think a person could bolt up a side draft. I see with that set up it would have to have a fuel pump or a tank pressure pump in the system. But would'nt look cool?
I do believe that is the configuration I will go with.
As for the vapors exhaust mainifold, I like its design and to me it looks like it would have a better evacuation then the pre 27.
Yes Gary, I will pass along any information and photos I gather. You do the same please. Im trying to improve the engines breathing while keeping within the period and tour rules for the speedster clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:53 pm:

Tyrone, OK. Will do the same. Power plant in rebuild right now so will be a while. One thing I did do was make up an accelerator pedal for the vaporizer. Worked pretty good. Fuel lever works as a throttle while pedal allows variation in speed. PS: Were not wacky, just experimental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 10:58 pm:

i just figured out your linkage, thats a great idea. Don't be surprise if you see it again but on another car (mine). Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber, Spanaway, Wa on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:10 pm:

I've been running this setup for about 6 or 8 years.
It's a VW bug carb and I made an elbow to hook it to the vaporizer intake.
The worst part of doing something like this is having to use a fuel pump....but I haven't had any trouble with it.
It gets very noticably better mileage and better top end.t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:12 am:

Interesting high tension wiring. I had similiar wiring on my "A" with a "B" distributor. It required longer brass straps which I didn't have. I eventually went to a modern type cap and wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:57 am:

I was going to say Bob, isn't there something about fords, bailing wire and chewing gum?
Don, a friend of mine just drug home a running TT that the coil to plug wires were Romax wiring. The truck runs great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber, Spanaway, Wa on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:15 am:

You gotta be really careful where you put your hands while it's running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:31 am:

Bob, Runs so good with the VW carb that you only need one cylinder? :-)

Tyrone, I looked at a vaporizer intake yesterday while building a NH straight through. Looks like there's enough room to reposition the bolt holes and mount a side draft to it direct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber, Spanaway, Wa on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:08 am:

I was chasing a miss that turned out to be bad plug wires.
It ran better with haywire wires.
I put some good old Packard 440 wires on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:34 am:

This is what I am putting together to try now, I am still a ways from getting it running but having a great time with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 03:01 pm:

Kenny, I agree. It likes like there is enough beef in the inlet to drill new carb mount holes and for no more weight than a carb is i believe you have a great idea.
Dennis, thanks for sharing your photo. That is way beyound my thought. Cool idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration