TT trans cam problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: TT trans cam problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gilmore on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:01 pm:

I'm putting my TT together and feel there is something wrong with the position of the cam that holds the transmission in low or high. The pictures show the brake lever all the way back and forward. When all the way back, the cam does not engage the neutral position. When all the way forward, the bolt does not clear the cam so the transmission cannot go into high. It is also hitting the strap that holds the running board on. Is there a different, longer, clutch linkage that is used for the TT?
Thanks, Gary in PAbrake lever backbrake lever forward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:23 pm:

Yes- I have extra's danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:53 am:

A couple of thoughts here. Your cross shaft appears too far back on the frame. Has the frame been drilled with extra holes? Also, the TT has a different, taller, cam because the TT frame is wider in the vertical dimension than the T frame because of it's extra length and loading.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:30 am:

Erik, I think he has it in the correct holes, it appears the oil hole is between the mounting bolts. John, I think he is referring to the linkage, not the cam. If so, then there is no difference in the linkage, but, of course there is a taller cam, as you well know. If the cam is correct, it looks to me to be bent too far to the rear. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 06:34 pm:

Of course, you're right. If the shaft was moved back, it would not like up with the quadrant. The only linkage would be the link to the pedal that can cause problems of it's own but in this case I would agree with you on a bent/twisted shaft.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gilmore on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:14 pm:

The brake handle and paw move perfectly through the quadrant so I am sure it is in the correct holes - location. The cam is definately higher than one found on a car. I figured the wider TT frame required a taller cam. Is it possible the cam could be out of place? Bending it back about an inch will solve the problem, but I do not see where it got bent out of shape in the first place. The cam is solid on the cross shaft but I will take a hammer to it just to make sure. Dave,thanks for pointing out the linkage is the same. I was wondering if the TT had longer linkage arms. Found out yesterday that the TT has a different steering bracket than the cars. Always something to learn.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:53 pm:

Best to bend out the clutch lever arm to center over the cam on the cross shaft.

Too much off center bending of the cam will make it hard to pull up, and that cam face and bracket needs to stay vertical.

Just place a pipe of iron pipe over the end of the lever arm and bend it over to line up with the cam.....

Lots of times that lever arm gets bent in when an old engine is tossed on the starter side, and bends the arm in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:02 am:

Gary, have you checked the handbrake handle to make sure it isn't bent? How about a picture of it, taken from the outside of the frame on passenger side. Also, check where it is attached to the crossshaft to make sure it isn't twisted on the shaft. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:49 am:

It looks to me like his handle has slipped on the cross shaft. the Relationship of the cam and the loop below the U-joint look the same as mine. Could the pin or rivet have sheared and it's just sort of a swedge fit holding the handle to the shaft?

It looks like loop in the cross-shaft isn't swinging back as far along with the cam.

(forgive poor picture quality)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:55 am:

That's a good point Dave, possibly a twisted cross shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:57 am:

John, that is what I was thinking. Definately something amiss somewhere. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 01:07 am:

Gary, I could climb around under the old truck tomorrow and try to take some real pictures of mine if you think it would help. It's probably not dialed in perfectly but it would give you a comparison of the relationship of the lever to the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:53 am:

I am working on a 1919 with starter, tube type rear tires etc. I have the opposite problem as shown in the top photo. The clutch lever is too long. I checked the 1920 and 1928 parts books nether show different clutch levers. Was there a change in the course of production, the early ones using the same lever as the cars and the later ones using the longer ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration