Help with pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Help with pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Aston on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:23 pm:

G'Day
I have a 1915 Tourer. I was trying to replace the 10/42 pinion and ring gear with a hi speed 13/39 set.
The external diameter of the 10 tooth pinion is 62mm, diameter of the 13 tooth pinion is 74mm. The problem is that the hole into the axle housing is 68mm diameter.

Given that the pinion has to be attached and locked before final assembly what can I do?
Regards
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:52 pm:

Separate the RE housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:54 pm:

To install the 3:1 gears,one has to split the clam shells. The ring gear has to be shimmed to get proper gear lash. This requires buying shims and fitting,etc. It is easier to do if done in 1/2 of the clam shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Aston on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:09 pm:

G'Day Guys
Thanks for your replies.
I have split the 2 axle housings to check and set up the correct gear lash. The pinion can only be installed by pushing the driveshaft assembly partly onto the 3 studs and then pushing it home while at the same time installing the pinion gear. Then the pinion nut is torqued.

After doing this, the other axle half (RHS) cannot be installed as it fits inside the driveshaft assembly. That is my problem.

Is this a thing with 1915 rear axles???
Regards
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:32 pm:

I understand what you are talking about and I don't remember exactly,but I think if you take the outer bearing out on the right side you can cock the other half into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob trevan on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:44 pm:

TAKE THE PIN OUT OF THE UNIVERSAL TO LET diveshaft HOUSING AND SPOOL COME FORWARD .THAT WILL ALLOW RH AXEL HOUSING TO GO INTO POSITION . DO MOT BOLT UP TIGHT TILL UNIVERSAL IS REPINED AND DRIVESHAFT ASSSEMBLE IS BOLTED UP TIGHT IN POSSITION.THEN TIGHTEN THE TWO HOUSINGS TOGETHER. BOB TREVAN bobtrevan@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Aston on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 02:28 am:

Bob
That's the solution.
Fantastic.
Regards
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob trevan on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 05:41 am:

HI ALAN , BEFORE YOU GLUE AND TIGHTEN EVERY THING,--CHECK THAT THERE IS THE SAME LENGTH OF AXEL PROTRUDING OUT EACH SIDE OF HOUSINGS.
BOB TREVAN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Aston on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:11 pm:

G'Day Bob
I glued and tightened everything before I got your reply. The right axle protrudes 2mm (.078in) further out than the left. What are the consequences of this??
Regards
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 05:40 pm:

That small a difference likely won't present a problem. The problems that arise from what Bob is cautioning against is the hub fitting too close and destroying the outer cap that holds the felt and washer and a large gap between the brake drum and backing plate, more of a cosmetic problem. Yours isn't enough difference to get excited about. Be sure you install the felt in the hub where it rides against the cap. I grease it to avoid it getting torn up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration