Modifying a vapor exhaust. Has anyone done this? Just wondering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Modifying a vapor exhaust. Has anyone done this? Just wondering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:11 am:

In the effort to distroy a perfectly good T to make a speedster :-) , I have wondered this. Lets say a header improves the engines breathing by reducing restriction. Lets also say a person wants to use period looking parts to include stock but feels they can be modified to improve.
Heres my idea: Take a vapor exhaust, close off the stock exhaust end, replace that light tin cover plate thingy with a heavy plate, run a single but larger pipe from that heavy plate as the exhaust. This way cylinder 1+2, 3+4 have an equale distance to flow and exhaust not piling up in the mainifold at higher speeds? Am i a genuis or a knucklehead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:28 am:

Might work.

But haven't seen the interior of that Vaporizer exhaust manifold casting, there might be dividers or some block in there to keep the flow restricted?

Vaporizer exhaust used 'as is' on this speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:30 am:

Good thought Dan. I have not seen inside one either. Thank you for the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:37 am:

Tyrone, you may be able to mount a turbocharger on that area. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:45 am:

Might be a little extreme Kenny. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 02:05 pm:

I once heard a very knowledgable model T mechanic say he tried a vaporiser exhaust maniflod once and it reduced the high-end performance some.
He surmised that it was the kink at the rear of the maniflod just ahead of the exhaust pipe that restricted exhaust flow.
he built his owncarbs from scratch and sold a few, did tons of work on camshafts, etc. for cars from 1/4 midgets on up to V8's.
I gotta believe him on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 Vice President on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 03:20 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/23251.html?1173640520

Model T Vaporizer manifold header type exhaust with a Turbo mounted to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 03:25 pm:

thats cool Mike. Thanks. I'll pass on that idea but thanks just the same. hummmm, with that much power, I wonder would a set of wood spoke wheels look cool as the wheely wheels you would surely need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 05:56 pm:

Tyrone & Dan,

That yellow speedster with the blocked off vaporizer is mine. (No charge for the use of the photo)

I have long thought of doing just as you propose. You could have one pipe out of the center, (there are no internal restrictions or reasons why not), but you could also keep the existing exhaust outlet and ADD a center one! Cheap, dual exhaust with period components.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 06:16 pm:

thank you jerry for the photo and its cheap price. Between the three of us it ought to get done. I think I will get started on doing just that this weekend but still far from firing this puppy up. I can't see why it would not be an improvement and as you say, still maintain a period component. Thanks for your imput.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz Knoxville,TN on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:14 am:

Here is a TT truck in Loveland ,Co that was on display at the beginning of the tour last year, it has a turbo charger and a lot of plumbing.Turbo
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:31 pm:

The inside of a vaporizer is wide open. That chamber does have a mixture tube running through it (top to bottom) so you will need to block off the two tube holes.

Your front plate will be held on by two tiny little screws... really want to hang an exhaust pipe or turbo off of that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:42 pm:

I meant four tiny little screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:54 pm:

I like the set up on the turbo charged TT. anybody have any more informatin on it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:28 pm:

Jack:
that is Bill Heidenreich's tt ...i will probably see him at breakfast tomarrow...i will tell him about this post and your request for info...Merry Christmas all! gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:58 am:

Would a supercharger be easier to install than the turbochager? i thought a supercharger might not need an oil pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:03 am:

Kep, supers are externally driven. It would take every thing the car has just to turn the blower. Plus a blower with a 1 inch throat NH carb? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:12 pm:

Tyrone,
I saw what you proposed with the vaporizor exhaust manifold down at Chickasha on a T Speedster a couple years back. Don't know how it ran but looked like a neat idea. I kind of wonder about sealing it at the joint of the new "hot plate" if one was just to use a piece of 1/4" thick plate. It is interesting what Aaron Griffey had to say about it. Some of them "very knowledgeable Model T Mechanics" probably forgot more than we may ever find out!
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 07:54 pm:

Good question Verne. I had not thought so far as to considered how to seal it up. Could a single thin or several thin sheets of brass or copper sheeting work as a gasket? Can asbestos in sheets still be gotten? Could a person make a gasket using this hearder wrap tape? I guess I better be giving that some thought ummm? Thanks for chiming in Verne.
Im the winter away from have this engine ready to fire up. A couple other guys sound as if they maybe working on the idea. Perhaps in the next six months or so reports will start coming in on how well it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:14 pm:

There were photos a short time ago on here that showed a center exhaust pipe coming off the center of the vaporizer exhaust mainifold. The end was closed off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:50 pm:

thanks mark, any idea what thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:42 am:

I was just thinking there seems like there is a heat sheilding material at welding stores. Can get it sheets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:57 am:

Sorry, I looked back to mid Oct, don't recall what the thread title was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:24 am:

Thanks for trying Mark. I will continue on from there. Should I find it, I will post a link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:30 am:

Tyrone,
Maybe some wire reinforced high temp gasket material would work? The type used in exhaust manifold to exhaust pipes on various cars.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 05:38 am:

Bronze weld your new pipe into the middle of the vaporizer manifold... I've seen it done and it works well;)

Cheers

AB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:45 am:

hey Anthony, when you end with "Cheers", are you toasting a beer? Getting ready to take swig of beer or is that like a good bye greeting? When I say Cheers it is when Im with others and Im getting ready to take a big chug of beer. :-)
By the way, thanks for the brazing idea.

Cheers

tyrone

PS. let me add a HUGE THANK YOU to all the Auzzie's for always throughout history standing bother by bother with our solders in times of war. As a retire soldier, a son of a Korean War Soldier, Son-in-law of a pasted WW2 soldier, I thank you and all the Moms down there.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:42 am:

I use a high temp gasket material between my block off plate and the vaporizer chamber. It works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:41 am:

G'day Tyrone,

Cheers is a parting gesture I use all the time, drinking or otherwise;) A bit like the poms say "cheerio"

I think you'll find most Australians are proud to help out the Yanks when they're called for. I'm just intrigued to see what happens to old mate Assange and his wiki-leaks. Seems Uncle Sam is a bit annoyed, but the public here might be more offended if he's arrested for merely stirring the pot. We live in interesting times.

"Ahh the internet.... its fascinating... like a car crash"

Cheers

AB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:25 am:

Yeap Anthony, our uncle is a little put off. Seems uncle sam is having to eat some crow in regards to how he really views other world leaders. Perhaps I can suggest to uncle that crow goes down better with a Victoria Bitter Ale. :-)

good day

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration