WIRE WHEEL COLOR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: WIRE WHEEL COLOR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 04:13 pm:

I am about ready to have my 26/27 wire wheels powder coated. The shop gave me a set of DuPont RAL powder coat color samples. Has anyone used this product and if so which "yellow" color did you pick? I am leaning toward RAL 1018.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 Vice President on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 04:19 pm:

Cardinal is another popular powder coating finish brand.

http://www.cardinalpaint.com/products/productcat.php?pcid=2&cctid=8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 04:48 pm:

The shop that is doing mine uses the DuPont product line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 07:40 pm:

Hey Mike or whoever else has info,
What brand of shop powder coating system do you use? I have a cheap one from Chicago Electric that I bought off ebay. It works OK but I'd like to have something better. I'm just doing small parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 Vice President on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:24 pm:

I've never done any powder coating myself. I've seen the Harbor Freight kits and wondered how well they worked. Stan what don't you like about the Chicago Electric brand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:36 am:

All of this probably depends on personal preference and how vibrant the body color is. I like the RAL 1018 quite well but I'm thinking about doing mine in more of a beige or almond. I wish I knew what Henry's "straw" color looked like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:35 pm:

I bought some wire wheels on a chassis a few years back, and a few of them still had good original green paint on them. I've tried to tell the guy I sold them to to rub out an area on one of the wheels, and get the color matched, so we will have record of exactly what that green is. I doubt if he'll ever do it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:33 pm:

Robbie - have you seen RAL 1018 on wheels? My body green is darker than some I've seen. About the color of the engine green spray paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 07:57 pm:

This T has nice green wire wheels, may be close to the T wire wheel green...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:12 pm:

I am looking for a suitable yellow/straw color since my body color is green. Those green wheels look nice on the black car and appear to be about the color of the wheels I am ready to have powder coated. They are not original color - the fellow I got them from had painted them for a speedster. Was hoping someone would say - here's my car and the RAL color I used - but life's not that simple. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:08 am:

When I did my '26 runabout year ago, got the enamel paint color 'Straw' from Bill Hirsh or maybe Mac's, not sure.

The old Ditzler DAR (acrylic enamel) number for Straw is 82302

But Mac's carries that color:

http://macsautoparts.com/campaign_product.asp?camid=MDT&pn=JS0R3CHL1071575

Here is the picture from years ago...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:48 am:

My goodness. I was going to order some and match it to my powder coat chips till I saw the price - $125/qt. Mac's catalog says the color was selected after a lot of research and concurrence of both Model T clubs that this was as close to original as they could get. Seems like if both clubs were involved, someone would know what the powder color would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:58 am:

Jim

I have an old paint chip book on the Model A colors, and Straw wire wheel color was used on Model A's. Should be ok for T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 02:01 am:

Dan

All I have to do now is somehow cross reference/compare straw 526 to powder RAL colors. Do you have a RAL color chart? I have been searching the net all evening trying to cross reference straw paint colors to RAL without luck. There is a Dupont #43353 that is said to be the equivalent. Guess I could call Dupont tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:19 pm:

I'm trying to figure out the difference between "straw" and "tacoma cream".

Dan, the color in your photo appears to be strong toward the yellow / green side. Could this be skewed from indoor lighting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:31 pm:

Jim,
Sorry its taken so long to reply to your request. I just came back from town and talked to my powdercoater who 'coated 5 wires on my '26 tudor. After much deliberation, I used RAL 1002. Don't have a digital camera but I really like it. Hope this caught you in time. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:41 pm:

Powder coat is the only way to go on wire wheels

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration