T Battery question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: T Battery question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 05:23 pm:

I'm just getting started on my 1925 2 tudor I purchased a couple of months ago. It had been unstarted in a garage for about 50 years before I purchased it. I have owned a 22 chassis for several years but have not done anything with it so I am a "newby" when it comes to working on the T. I have been a forum member for a few years now and have learned a great deal from the members and respect your advise. I am needing to purchase a new 6 volt battery in the near future. I want one to fit the original holder. What is a good place to shop? Any recommendations on brand type would be appreciated. I am trying to post pictures, having trouble getting them sized correctly..guess thats a question for another post!..Thank you all for your help. Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 05:40 pm:

Seems to me it's just a 6v group 1 battery having the posts on diagonal corners Rick. You should go over your new cars wiring BEFORE hooking up the battery to make sure there will be no problems AFTER!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 06:08 pm:

The original battery was taller than most Group 1 batteries and a 3/4 - 1" thick wooden (or other) spacer is needed underneath.

AutoZone's Group 1 battery is the correct height according to a regular poster here that has bought one.

It's part number 1-6VOLT and it is $81.99 with a turned-in old battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 06:51 pm:

I just bought a 6v Exide battery from Tractor Supply for $59. (I took the AutoZone in as a core.) The new battery weighed nearly twice as much as the AutoZone battery. I can get the specs if you want them but the crank rating was WAY higher than the AZ battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

I use the Tractor Supply group 1 6 v for my T's. A good battery.

Of course that fancy sticker on the side comes off to make the battery look old :-)

And you have to rest the battery on a wood base, here is what I use, cut from solid oak, or you could use any old board.. The base just slips in place..easy to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:34 pm:

I have bought them from NAPA, and Pep Boys. Any 6 v Group 1 will fit. Be sure to get a fresh battery. They can age just sitting on the shelf.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 10:29 pm:

And don't let them tell you that a 19L will work! It's just not enough battery. Lots of counter people will try and sell you a 19L just because it's a 6 volt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:41 pm:

If you wish to put your battery in an original type battery box, the vendors sell one that is close, but not exact. Because of that, I had to have one made from an original I have. After you get one, you will have to cut a piece of wood for the bottom to bring the battery up to the top of the case, and then install thin pieces of plywood around the sides to keep the battery from moving around. After that you can install the lid, and clamp it in place like the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:45 pm:

I just bought one from Walmart and looked up the date code later. It was made in January 2009.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:00 pm:

An Optima battery fits in the repop battery box if you trim the hold down tabs a little. Larry, I use that adhesive backed foam weather strip (for use between a topper and P U bed) around the sides and it fits just right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:19 pm:

You do not have to pay $90 for a 6 volt battery.
I bought one yesterday for $65 at a battery store. I also bought a group 2 (also 6 volt) for 49.95. It was on the shelf since July 2010.
The regular price was $59.95 for groupe 2 fresh ones.
Find a store that only sells batteries and is not a particular brand dealer like Interstate or Allied or Delco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:24 pm:

You HAVE to to rest the battey on a wood base? Why is that Dan?
None of my cars do not have a wood base but in my '26 the same battery has been in there since '97. I guess it will have a short life because I did Not put it on wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

If you want the factory clamps to work with the shorter Group 1 battery in the carrier designed for use without the box, you are going to have to raise the battery.

Also, if I remember correctly, if you don't raise the battery, the cable from the positive terminal to the starter switch is going to interfere with the carrier - that is, if you use the original style cable.

Oh, sorry, I'm not Dan. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:20 pm:

I have had good luck buying 6 volt group 1 batteries at TSC (Tractor Supply).
Works fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:25 pm:

Thanks Seth, you're right, I knew that but forgot.
Sorry Dan, as usual you're right and with good advice.
I'm having crow for lunch, I'm used to it by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:49 pm:

Seth

Your post in my place is fine :-)

Oh, you really hit it too, only twice have I been broken down, once ran out of gas :-( and once the battery positive cable got in contact with the carrier frame from the battery sliding over and letting that terminal hit.....oh bad.

So I use the wood board to raise the battery up, and to keep it from wiggling any, and use the factory clamps upside down to really bite tight on that battery case...just in case :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:15 pm:

Hey! I just did this yeaterday too. Like Seth was saying the batteries at autozone are $81.99 but you can get a nice 6V that has that "old'ish" look for $59.99 at TSC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:20 pm:

Here's the exact one you should get Rick :-)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/tractor-tune-up-repair /tractor-batteries/heavy-duty-farm-battery-com-1-hp-0470506

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:23 pm:

Yep, my first choice would be TSC, Orscheln, Fleet & Farm, or whatever farm supply is in your part of the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:04 pm:

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I think I will try the one from Tractor supply, thanks Dan for the pattern. I will check the date code. Thanks Patrick for the web address, very helpful. Don't feel to bad about that crow Aaron, seems I have it pretty regular myself. Thanks again everyone, Rick
PS...Seth, I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago, first trip ot LA, really interesting country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:09 pm:

Rick, be sure and let them know you want the "com-1-hp" and mybe even let them know the SKU number: 0470506

I think, I want to say they had more than one type of 6V battery so if you plan on calling beforehand to see if they have it those are the numbers you need.
I'm pretty sure they close 9pm, don't know if you're going now to pick one up or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:16 pm:

Rick,

What did you find "interesting" about my neck of the woods, if you don't mind my asking? :-)

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:17 pm:

Rick
Take a voltmeter with you to Tractor Supply. Check the date code on the battery case and make sure it reads AT LEAST 6.35 volts. If the battery is over 3-4 months old or the voltage is not up to acceptable levels try the next nearest Tractor Supply. Tractor Supply vendors is pretty good about keeping fresh batteries on hand, but you can never be sure.
Also drain your old battery in an environmentally location, take it with you and give it to them or it will cost you an additional $10
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:23 pm:

Probably be next week before I have a chance to get the battery. I am in the process of going throuth the wiring ( as was suggested above, thanks Garnet!). Looking forward to trying to start it up for the first time, but want to take my time and hopefully do it right. I will call ahead, thanks for the further info Patrick, I've bought a lot of bateries in my life, but never a 6 volt. Thanks again, Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:27 pm:

Thanks Ron, I will take that advise. I have a feeling I will be in contact with you in the near future,want those coils to work correct! Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:49 am:

Seth, Sorry for the delay in answering your question, just now noticed it. I had never been to Louisiana, Had no idea sugarcane is farmed there! Took a ferry across the Mississippi river, tour of a "haunted plantation" near Marksville, even had some gator for dinner. Don't see much of that in Oklahoma!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 05:57 am:

No problem, Rick - it's a thread drift anyway which offends some folks. :-)

Yep, Louisiana is "quite different" than most places and we kind of like it that way!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration