Nellie has an engine now.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Nellie has an engine now.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 07:31 pm:

Got busy today and lifted the engine into Nellie, the '23 cutoff touring pickup.

This is a one man install, using a cherry picker and some hints to make it easy on an old guy :-)

Set the engine on the #2 plug for lifting, as that lets the rear hang down to let the pedals clear the firewall

Tilt up and under goes the pedals.....:-)

Of course, added thick grease to the universal joint, that lets the square shank stick up for alignment later... and grease on the frame rails to glide the engine into place

Now set the engine down on the frame and change the hook point to allow the cherry picker to just keep it suspended over the frame a bit

Slid it back, a little help with the cheater bar to get it back under...

Now slip back and start the engage with the universal

...Houston..we have docking..... :-)

Now resting in place...ready to add a few more parts....and maybe running by Christmas ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:02 pm:

Cool!!! That's going to be a great truck. Dan, I think this is the one you bought in Chickasha a couple years ago????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:15 pm:

Stan

Same one, just now doing the work...lazy or else maybe I have too many projects :-)

Before picture, as found at Chickasha

Since sitting in the garage for a while.... done a bunch to her, but now with the engine in, maybe some driving before Christmas :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:39 pm:

Dan

What did you put on the end of the clutch lever screw?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:10 pm:

Jim

Thats the angle of the photograph, you are seeing the threaded boss of the lever. The bolt was screwed all the way up for insertion to not interfere with the cam on the cross shaft. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:23 pm:

Dan, Many thanks for the pictures & dialogue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:26 pm:

Looks very good. Thanks for the pictorial description of how you did the job. There have been a number of posts asking how it is done. I like your idea of packing the universal joint before installing. I had not thought of it and use a string around the square end tied to the grease cap on the driveshaft. It takes a lot of packing the grease cup over and over to fill it after it is installed. Your idea solves both problems.

By the way, one of my cars is also named Nellie.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:31 pm:

Very nice!!!
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:30 pm:

The photo angle fooled me. Once you explained, it's obvious. Maybe a little old age as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:26 am:

Dan, thanks for posting these pictures. I just hope I can remember them later! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:52 pm:

FANTASTIC! :-)

What grease did you use Dan? Is that just regular axle grease or that marine grade stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:54 pm:

Hey how is your wishbone ball? I have some that are super nice if you need one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration