Low speed drum crack - can it be repaired as is ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Low speed drum crack - can it be repaired as is ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:03 pm:

Hello, a long story cut very short, can this crack be repaired by a well qualified welder with a host of experience or is this low speed drum destined for the bin/shelf/momento cupboard ?

See pictures below.

crack in low speed drum

crack in low speed drum 2 hard to see from behind

crack in low speed drum- clearly seen from front

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

David Dare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:09 pm:

Dave, I wouldn't use it. Unless you've got a lot of spare time and don't mind re-work. There's a lot of good used drums and transmissions out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

Drum bearing gapping.... l have the following gapping now which to me seem quite high for the drums :-

Reverse to Low speed drum (bushings) 0.007"
Brake drum to Low speed (bushings) 0.010"

This will explain the severety of the side movement..what is acceptable to gap, my thought has always been 0.002-0.004"

David Dare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:07 pm:

That drum is dangerous. I don't think even the wizzard could fix it so that it would be servicable. There are plenty of good low speed drums available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:30 pm:

You might get a strong weld, but it would be very hard to balance it and you would have a bad vibration in both low and high. Since you have everything apart, it would be best to use either a good used drum or get a new one and rivet it to the gear.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 09:44 pm:

I would stash it away. There may not be "plenty of drums out there" forever. It is fixable, balance would not be a problem. But getting a better one is a better idea for now. Of course, I remember when rear axle housings were so common that many people gave them away for free to make jack stands out of. Everybody (but me?) said they would never need to actually EVER have to repair one. Now we have threads on the forum on how to set up and straighten them. Who would of thought?
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 10:03 pm:

OK thanks for those suggestions, NOW to the important thing...
Who's got a good one with the boss in non cracked and sevicable condition/unscored?????

Cheers David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 10:56 pm:

Try Dave Huson. He sells good serviceable drums for a fair price. He's based in Colorado, USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:25 pm:

Clearance in a Model T transmission drum bushing is an emotional problem unless its too tight. The drums will find their own centers as the gears are loaded. The transmission is the most rugged member of the Model T driveline. The crankshaft is the weakest member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:23 am:

Found and thanks, l'll have a set soon and be well on the way to rebuilding.

Cheers David Dare.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration