Interesting Ford Plant Item

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Interesting Ford Plant Item
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:06 am:

I saw this strange award on the auction site, what do you think it represents?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Original-Ford-Motor-Co-PocketWatchAwardRA RE-/250737171284?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a61199b54

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:12 am:

Ed,

It reminds me of the "gag gifts" I have seen given to folks in the Air Force when they retired or more often when they moved to a new location. The gifts are often a "take off" on something the person did or attempted to do. And usually it is given by people who really appreciate their boss or leader. For example when the two-star admiral left the Operation Directorate at Headquarters United States European Command back in the late 1980s – I know it was discussed and I think they actually gave him a “gag-gift” plaque. It was an official looking plague with the dates he served. It had two wooden dowels sticking out from the plaque and hanging from the dowels was a one-inch paint brush. At the going away it was presented with the remarks that it was for use in painting the wall in you next office. Followed by the punch line -- that there were so many other plaques on his walls that all that was needed was a one-inch wide paint brush to paint the space between the plaques. That guy was highly respected by all of us in Ops from the junior person up to the deputy director. And he also liked those sorts of things. He already had some similar plaques on his wall. Like the one with the “feather duster” nicely mounted on it. It was a dark beautiful wood plaque and the formal looking engraved brass tag read “Peacock Today – Feather Duster Tomorrow”.

Of course I haven’t worked at a Ford plant, so I don’t know if they did things like that or not. But someone went to some trouble to make that display up. And my initial guess is it was to honor and also “rib” the recipient. And there is probably a funny story behind all that.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration