What do you think this is worth...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What do you think this is worth...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:02 am:

This is 4 sale near me and I thought the price was a little high...I'll let you know how much after I see what you guys think..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:09 am:

I would have a hard time justifying a $1000 bid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:22 am:

Before I saw Jack's comment I thought $1200 very tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:45 am:

Well the guy is wanting $4500 ....yea...I know...lol..O-yea he does have the doors but the roof is missing ....When I 1st seen the pics I was thinking Hmmm might be a neat project but then the price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:51 am:

Send him a bottle of ketchup,cause he's going to have to eat that one. $700 tops .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:01 pm:

Send him a gallon of ketchup and some sourdough rolls or a loaf of bread of some kind as he may need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:08 pm:

You might be surprised. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the $60,000.00 Opera towncar with porch lights from Home depot? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:19 pm:

Eric,

If he is asking $4500 he may not really be trying to sell it. I.e. “honey I have it listed for sale and I don’t know why it isn’t moving.” Or he may not know what the value of the truck is. Or he may be trying to sell it for a lot more than he knows it is worth – some folks do that. And if the buyer does not check into the prices/values he can over pay. That is also true for new cars, houses, tools, etc. For example the folks that pay more for a reproduction part on e-bay because they do not know the same identical part is available in the vendors catalog for less and in some cases a lot less. And of course sometimes the e-bay and other sources sell the part for less than the vendors – which is why especially on major purchases we need to check.

If he does decide to really put the truck up for sale and offers it a more reasonable price another question to consider is – what is it worth to you? In my case I cannot add another antique car to my collection without first selling a different car. I don’t have enough room for what I currently have, I already have more projects than I need and I already have a cut off for a pickup truck. And a TT takes up more storage room and often requires a slightly higher garage door than a T. But if you have always wanted a TT project – if he lowers the price this may be just the item you have been looking for. Not to mention with the addition of a car frame, car rear axle, car rear wheels, and car lower steering bracket – you have the bulk of the mechanical parts for a speedster or depot hack. (Although Model T Haven currently has a 1926 car chassis that would make a nice speedster.) Note I based the TT conclusion off the short running boards – I can’t really tell if the rear tires are the TT or the 21 inch balloon tires. And in general the TT is worth less than a T in the same condition.

From the photos it looks like it has had a sheltered life the past few years. It might even be in running and driving condition? And of course that impacts the value plus or minus. See the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/142749.html?1274909368 for a good discussion of what the cars and trucks are worth.

If the wheels are solid, tires usable, the truck runs and drives well, has a current clear title, most of the parts are for the same year (looks 1924-25 TT to me based on the front fenders and left two pedals or 1926-1927 based on the single wide brake pedal). I would estimate the seller could obtain between $500 and $2500 if he places the TT on e-bay. (And that assumes he is an e-bay seller with a good track record. If he is a first time seller – folks will not normally bid as much as they would for the same item from a seller with 500 plus sales and good feedback). If located near a major city more money – if located in the far country less money. Lower that estimate for engine not running, lower even more for engine frozen, lower again for wood spokes need replacing etc. Also if the TT is an English product located in England (note the side lamps on the fenders – do you have additional photos of those?) then the price would be more as they are harder to come by over there (see: . http://tuckettbrothers.co.uk/Model%20Ts/Model_T_index.htm )

Add money for any speed equipment such as an overhead etc.

Compare that to Model T Haven’s 1925 TT at: http://www.modelthaven.com/25t.html . Remember Mark has to sell at retail to stay in business so if you were to purchase Mark’s truck, store it for six months and offer to sell it back to him he would gladly purchase it but at a wholesale price. Note he also loves and supports our hobby – and I really appreciate Mark and our other vendors! If they were only interested in cars and money they would more likely focus on the muscle cars of the late 1960 & 1970s or other cars that have a wider market base.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

It's probably worth it - it's a 480 volt electric TT of the future! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:04 pm:

Replace that seat with an old fence board. It would be worth more. Maybe even $1400.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:11 pm:

If it has a good title it's worth $720.
If no title is worth $300 unless you really need some of the major parts to finish a project.
Then it is worth $700 just for the engine, trans and rear end & frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:37 pm:

Down here a rusty frame alone is worth like $100s-$1,000 & that car would be worth about $10,000 just as it is (if prices i see on trademe.co.nz are anything to go by)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:10 pm:

I have no idea where it is but around here from what I see, the title would make it worth while.I would say ask 1500,take 1100 if no title,ask 1800 take 1450 or so if it has clear title.Titles and paper work that you dont have to sacrifice a calf for is a good thing.If you need the project or major parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:20 pm:

The title may or may not be important depending on where you are. In some states it's easy and cheap to get a title with just a bill of sale. Other states like to make it an expensive hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:20 pm:

Eric
You need to take some "expectations setting" actions.
Title or not, go visit the fellow again with $750 cash in your hand and let him see it.
Cash clearly demonstrates your interest and has a remarkable effect on folks especially after they have been given time to stew in their juices. If he says no give him your telephone number and ask him to call you if he changes his mind.
You will have lost little and he just may call you when he realizes the realities of the situation.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:34 pm:

Getting a title for that in Ca. is not an expensive hassle, it's an impossibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:28 am:

Looks like a rolling TT chassis. If so, that alone is worth $2000. The transmission looks like a mix of pedals but the brake is 26/27. Maybe the engine too. It might be worth a look and check the engine number. See if it has an aux trans or other items. Not worth $4500 but certainly more than $750. If it runs, the power-plant is worth more than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:41 am:

My two cents here:

I'm with the crowd that a car with title, running engine, thats moves under it's own power is worth more than $750. Probably upwards of $2k, simply because someone could use it as a starting point for a really neat project or just leave it. Depending on what's bolted onto it, potentially more. Especially if you have some bits and pieces (like alot of us do) squirreled away to fix some of the more obvious things cheaply.

Now, would I pay that? Probably not, as I've got too many other fish frying up right now. But, everything I've run across recently has people thinking they've hit the jackpot. One car near me (a '26) was -and I quote- "Henry's favorite year" and "first year for the electric starter. Super rare." Please fork over $8500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

There's a flat Ford TT bed not to far too with the Ford written on the rear and I was just thinking these two would be a fun winter project

....but I also found a Touring that I like too.."So I could have more people with me for the ride .....So many decisions so little money....lol..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:46 pm:

You could put some seats on the flat bed and really haul a lot of people.

That bed looks about like the one I have waiting for my TT project, except that some of the strips appear to be usable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:12 pm:

Eric,

I don't know if you're looking for a TT project or a "ready to go" driver. I ran across this one for sale that is really pretty and seems to be advertised at a fair price. Who knows, it may even be negotiable.

If nothing else it'll kind of give you an idea of what the one you posted could look like.

I have no connection to this sale.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I am Goofus on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:20 pm:

The bed is worth more than the truck.

C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:30 pm:

Boy, that's a swell TT. I'm not looking to buy it, but I'm curious. What are they asking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:44 pm:

Steve,

It's over in my neck of the plains in Lubbock.

The ad reads:

1926 Ford TT C-Cab Flatbed Truck
The truck is priced at $7,500

Here's the link.

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1926-ford-tt-c-cab-flatbed-293890.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:47 pm:

Steve,

You buying this may be a good excuse for you to come and visit me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:48 pm:

Is the bed really worth that much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:04 pm:

Despite my considerable cheapness, I'm tempted. It looks like pretty good body work, there's an aux tranny, and the truck has electric start. Maybe I'd hitch up the trailer and head for the llano estacado if I had the time and the storage space. As it is, my pickup sits outdoors due to lack of space.

Eric, I bought my bed like that a couple of counties away for $400 (or was it $450?). At the same time there was one in Colorado priced at $750 and one in Missouri at $850. It can pay to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:38 pm:

Well here's more of the story I just got on the TT...Its owned by a VERY VERY nice older lady who's husband had it for almost 20yrs.... last time it ran was 15yrs ago,before he got real sick for 7yrs and pasted away... its not locked up and a friend of the family is selling it for her and has told her not to sell for no less then $3500.....

I left my name and number and told her if it doesn't sell to give me a call.....That out of the question now...On to the next one

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration