Another new guy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Another new guy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:26 pm:

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been lurking for a while and have learned a lot from everyone here.

My name is Ed and I have a late 1913 Touring and an "in progress" 1924 speedster. I am new to the MTFCA since I joined this year at Hershey. I guess I would say that I am not that new to T's since my Touring has been in my family since the 1950's. My grandfather bought it and left it to me when he passed. It is mostly original except for some updating and repairs here and there to keep it running. I know a lot of people will tell me it is a 1914, but it has always been 1913 to me!

Thanks for all of the knowledge so far! I hope to post some pictures of my speedster as it progresses.

touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:43 pm:

Ed,

Welcome aboard! Great looking touring your Grandfather left you. Note your Grandfather was not the only one to call some of those cars a 1913. Bruce McCalley states at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/1914H.htm

“The 1914 Model T Ford style year has created a good amount of confusion. There are many “1914s” around that are called “1913” and the owners can prove that the car was, indeed, made in 1913. Further, the “1914” style was built at some of the branches in calendar 1915, and apparently at the same time that the new “1915” cars were being built at Highland Park. There is some evidence that the 1914 cars were built, at some of the branches, as late as March or April of 1915.
The facts are that the 1914 style began in later 1913, perhaps as early as August, at the Highland Park plant. Ford issued a letter on July 28, 1913, announcing, “1914 prices effective August 1, 1913: Touring, $550; Runabout, $500; Town Car, $750.” The letter does not indicate a “new” style, however.”
So your Grandfather’s car could easily be one of those produced in Aug or later 1913. Similar to the 1964 ½ Mustangs. When initially introduced in the summer of 1964 most folks called them a 1965 car. But now days many folks call the early Mustangs a 1964 1/2. And if it was called a 1913 for all those years – you can tell people that is the car’s name. My Dad always called our oldest car a 1906 because that is what was on the title. And when I discussed the cars with him, I also always called it a 1906. So I wouldn’t worry too much about the year of the car unless you are ordering upholstery items or replacement body parts. In that case you will want to make sure you order the ones that fit your body.

Hopefully you have been able to contact one of the local Model T Clubs near you. If not they are listed at: http://mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and http://mtfca.com/MTclubs.htm And for building your speedster there are some good references – one of which is the Northwest Vintage Speedsters at: http://www.nwvs.org/ they have lots of good references under their technical pages.

Again, welcome aboard!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:52 pm:

Welcome Ed, Very nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:16 pm:

Beautiful T Ed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:04 pm:

Ed
Your 13 sounds a lot like my 14. The engine in my 14 has a cast date in late Oct of 13 and had early headlights on it for years until my Uncle got tired of hearing about the "wrong headlights" and traded them for 14 headlights in the early 50's. He bought the car from the second owner who bought it used in 1916.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed F on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:33 pm:

Thanks everyone!

Hap, I am very familiar with the 64 1/2-65 debate as my father went through a Mustang phase when I was a kid. There has always been a little confusion about my '13 since it has some '13 and some '14 features. Whether or not the fact it has a mix of parts is because it was built right around the change over or just some updating over it's life will never be known.

There are also some things about the car that I know my grandfather did change while he owned it that aren't necessarily correct that I plan on not changing. It is more important to me to keep it "how Pop had it" then model year authentic. That is why it will always be a '13 to me!

Bill, our T's do sound similar. Mine has E&J headlights and JNO Brown sidelights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:36 pm:

Welcome Ed. Beautiful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:50 pm:

Ed, A friend of mine and I were having a conversation the other day about side lamps. I saw a side lamp with a round style font (later style font) on what appeared to be a 13 lamp without the red jewell. he said he had seen one on a 14 and thought they were a transitional lamp. In your picture yours appear to be somewhat round (newer style) or am I just seeing a shadow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

Welcome Ed,

I hope you enjoy your time here.
Thanks for the pictures, your car looks great and a family heirloom too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:17 pm:

Welcome aboard, Ed! That's a gorgeous car you have there. I'm a big fan of natural wood spokes and steering wheels. What part of Jersey are you from? I'm in Commack, Long Island.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:15 pm:

If it runs as good as it looks, you have a good car. Have fun with it! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:54 pm:

John, what part of the lamp are you calling the font?

Bob, I am from south Jersey, Salem county.

Thanks everyone for all of the compliments on my Touring. The picture actually makes it look a lot nicer than it really is!!!

Here is a shot of the other side.

touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

Ed, The kerosene tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:53 pm:

Ed,

Great looking '14.

My 1912 was built in November / December 1911. It is still a 1912 Ford.

Your car is a 1914 Model T. This is a normal thing; the model year and fiscal year begin / end in the middle of calendar years at all car makers, and have for nearly 100 years. Your car, when it was new, was advertised by Ford as a 1914 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.M.Head in St Sauveur Quebec Canada on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:30 pm:

Hi Ed!

Welcome.

As you also have a '13, I may well be asking you questions...

Cheers,

R. Head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:08 am:

Ed,
I have many of my grandfather's tools. They are still my grandfather's tools. That is your grandpop's 1913. No matter what a hundred-year-old calender says.
You are very fortunate, cherish that car. And take good care of it.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:47 am:

Ed,

Welcome to the forum.

Good place, good people.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:08 am:

Wayne, I belong to the same American Legion post my dad belonged to, and I still call it "my dad's Legion post."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:17 am:

Ed, what's the building in the second picture? That's a great setting for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 05:25 pm:

Wayne, my thoughts exactly!

Steve, the building in the backround is an old farm supply store in town that closed last year. I took my touring up there late this summer since unfortunatly I don't know the fate of the building in the future and I wanted to use it as a backdrop before it disappears.

Here is another shot.
touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:06 pm:

Ed,

No rush, but when you have a chance would you please check for the letter of the company that produced your car's body? Also the serial number of the body? Ford purchased bodies from out side suppliers and I am working to compile information on them. For details on where to look and what to look for see the forum posting “Home for the Holidays” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html) On your car, the body number will normally be located on the front wooden seat frame and NOT on the right front floor board riser which is where they started putting them sometime during 1915. But a letter may be located on the front and/or back heel panel.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration