ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/03/10 GASIGNAL GIVES YOU A RESERVE TANK OF GAS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/03/10 GASIGNAL GIVES YOU A RESERVE TANK OF GAS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:10 pm:

Here's a device that adds a stand pipe in the gas tank so when you run out of gas you pull the string and tie it off to get to the last of the gas in the tank. Hopefully the one gallon of gas remaining below the stand pipe will get you to a filling station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:06 pm:

How does the Gasignal signal that you are running out of fuel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:32 pm:

By running out sooner than you normally would. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Levans, Lafayette Indiana on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:33 pm:

Howard --
The signal is when the car stops running. With this device, you "run out of gas" with still one gallon remaining in the tank. Open the valve and you now have access to that remaining one gallon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:43 pm:

That's a really cool one Jay ! I have something similar but one turns a handle to retrieve the extra gallon or so - I'll dig it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:32 pm:

I have one, but off my former 1951 VW. Its valve rotates to open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:20 pm:

And I thought the VW was the first to think of the idea.

It is a good idea to open the valve from time to time to let the gas in the bottom of the tank drain out. If you get a few drops of water in it, you will sputter but it will keep right on going. But if you keep the valve closed all the time, water will accumulate in the bottom and the tank will rust. Then when you get low on gas and you open the valve, it will plug your carburetor with rust and eventually the tank will rust out and gas will leak out. At least, that's what happened to my VW !
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:45 pm:

Our 26 Franklin had something like that built in. I think the one on the Franklin gives you and "extra" two gallons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:01 pm:

The '21 Wills Sainte Claire did also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bishop on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

Jay-
Do you have to reset it when you fill up again? That was the problem with my '61 VW bug. . .I'd refill the tank, keep driving, and when I ran out of gas again and reached down to turn the lever it was already "turned" because I'd forgotten to reset it and I REALLY was out of gas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:23 am:

This is a standard part on the Ford 9N and 8N tractors, except that you turn the knob to get the extra gallon. On a T, you'd have to "get out and get under" as the song goes.

The 9N began production in 1939.

You can buy the Ford tractor part today, at Yesterday's Tractors and other places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:31 am:

In the dim distant past, Heather and I owned a 1947 VW with the Off-Reserve-On rotary control. Of course I use to let the car run low on gas before filling and one day Heather took it out, went onto reserve and forgot to tell me. Next day I was on the way to work and ran out of gas, all the reserve had gone...
Good job we were still in Honeymoon made....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration