Carb float valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Carb float valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:26 pm:

I am having trouble with the float valve in my rebuilt NH carburetor. I thought I'd take out the ball type valve/seat and put in the old style valve/seat. I have the correct socket to fit the ball type but can not back it out. Must have some thread lock on it. What are your suggestions to solve this problem ? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:34 pm:

I there is any Loctite or other anaerobic thread locking compound then the blue wrench (propane torch) will be your friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:53 pm:

Most Loctite type compounds take about 350 degrees to let-go. You might even be able to use the wife's oven. 400 degrees would give you a couple minutes to work with it. Brass does not melt until about 1000 degrees, but becomes very brittle way before that and could break apart inside the cast iron if it gets too hot.
I only like to use the original type needle valves. I sharpen them.
Drive safe, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration