Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:35 pm:

Is it possible to install a 26-27 transmission in a 25 hogs head
I went to adjust bands in my 26 Tudor today and this is what I found...It appear that I have an 26-27 transmission with a hogs head and pedals from a older car.
Transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:45 pm:

Yes,but you have to keep the older pedals/bands. You lose part of the braking drum as you can't use the wider band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue WA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:46 pm:

Yes, I found the same thing in my '25 touring car. My touring is a "put together" with bits from a few different years. The block was an unnumbered 26/27 style reeplacement, a 4 dip pan, and a 26/27 style trans with the 19-25 style trans cover. The narrow brake band rode on the front 2/3 of the drum just as your photo shows.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:13 pm:

Question...Can I install a 26/27 hogs head on a 3 dip pan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue WA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:22 pm:

Should work fine and the 3 dip is somewhat stronger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:55 pm:

Thanks for the input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:03 pm:

Entered the Old 26 T in the Williamsburg Christmas Parade today...after the parade, I needed to adjust low speed band...
26 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

The late transmission with the wider brake drum fits in the earlier hogshead and three-dip pan. The wider brake band does not. It requires a little more room for the band to back away from the drum and will not adjust or operate properly. People have often cut down the drum to take advantage of the better clutch for an earlier car. I keep telling that you don't need to cut it. Just put it in and use it. Your photo shows that. Thank you.
If you have a four dip pan under that, you can probably just put in a large band and late hogshead to have the better brake. If it is a three dip pan, it would take a lot more work to fit it in.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:12 pm:

Looks to me like it might even cool a little better with a little extra edge sticking out from under the band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:58 pm:

Mike D. :

Call your favorite T vendor & order NOS Band washers & NOS band nuts.

As is, vibration will loosen whats there & create brake or reverse failure, not to mention the great racket before the catastrophe .

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:31 pm:

Bob..You read my mind..was going to order new Band Washers & Nuts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:05 am:

Just a thought. What if someone made a wide brake band with the ears offset to one side so the band material would fit a 26 drum but the ears would fit a pre 26 hog's head? Would the slight offset be too much for proper operation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:04 am:

Mike:

The spring is starting to enter the reverse band ear on the LEFT side. I would recomend that you put a washer on the left side between the band ear and the spring, I do that with any band that is somewhat wide. If the spring does enter the band ears it will loose any pressure and your pedals will not be springing back. The pedal will be laying on the floor board. If you do put washers between the pedal ears and the spring be sure to bevel the bottom of the washer so it will fit the curve of the ear better. I sometimes put washer between the springs and ear on all the bands.

a367B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:37 am:

Or, you could put in wood bands and leave the springs out entirely. That's what I do.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:46 am:

Good morning. Am I missing something here? One the above photo does not show the "correct" locking washers for the nuts? Plus I can't tell if that is a slotted nut on the brake adjuster?

Rick, WOW, what is this about wood bands and leaving the springs out?????? I am getting ready to run wood band. Should I remove the springs????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:55 am:

Those nuts on the pedal shafts in the first post should be changed out for std. Ford style lug washer and notched nut to prevent issues.

And I used those new 'longer' type band springs on all my installs. Little hard to insert sometimes due to length, but they sure keep the bands apart, and give great pedal feel, plenty of 'snap back' that I like. And you never worry that your brake lite switch will hang up either :-)

Longer type band springs, and proper nuts and washers. These are Guinn wood bands.

I run band springs, no experience without them, don't know why I would not use springs?

The brake band is adjusted somewhat very loose, because I run Rocky Mountains, and that pedal locks them first, but if I lay down a HEAVY foot, that wood band locks up and I can stop any downhill roll, like backing out of the trailer :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:35 am:

So Dan, any advice for users of the wood bands? This will be my first time with wood bands. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:05 pm:

Dan Treace is right the longer springs are a real help on most bands. However all bands are not the same. Some have a WIDER SLOT in the ears. At the risk of being repetitious I still recomend that Mike install a washer between the left side of the reverse spring and the band ear. You can already see the the spring is begining to work its way into the slot. I see too many transmisions where this has happened resulting a weak spring pressure.
I don't know if the slot in the ears are worn larger or the springs are worn narrower or a combination of both. But it does HAPPEN.

A96 transmission wrench

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration