Update on rear end rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Update on rear end rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:20 pm:

Well......It doesn't look like waiting a week for some shims is going to be the problem. I have to wait a week for a drive shaft. May as well order some shims while I'm at it. I couldn't get the old bearing sleeve off of the drive shaft, so I took it to the machine shop. I picked it up yesterday, but didn't pay it any attention until today. It is cracked at the keyway. The sleeve was cracked at the keyway, but I didn't think about the drive shaft being cracked too. The drive shaft cracking appears to be what cracked the sleeve.

One of the axle housings is bent too. You can get the bearing in and nothing is binding, but it would probably accelerate the wear if I don't fix it. How have you guys straightened these in the past? I'm thinking about heating it on the side it needs to bend toward and spraying some water on it and see if it won't draw back in that direction. Your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 07:54 pm:

Luckily my housings are both OK. The MTFCA book says repair or replace a bent housing but doesn't say how to repair it, and the Ford manual just says replace. The heat & cool idea sounds kind of inexact, with a good chance of going too far. But I'm just guessing on that. I hope somebody with the experience will describe the repair procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:21 pm:

I did some searching after I posted that and found some info. Methods seem to vary. Richard Gould has a neat set up, but I don't think I will bother going to that extreme. 'Course if my next door neighbor had a set up like that, I'd be crazy not to use it but since he don't.....

What I haven't seen is anyone posting that they ignored the bent housing and later, had a failure, but I still think I want to try and fix it. It will go together like it is, but I don't know how long it would last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:30 pm:

Hal, I think Stan posted somthing about straightening a housing within the last few months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:57 pm:

Well, we got it back together. If money were no object, I probably would have done some things differently, but since my budget is limited, especially this time of year, we cut a few corners. It's not going to be daily driver and probably won't see 1500 miles a year, so I think it will be OK. We finished up last night and drove it around a fair amount today. It's good to have it back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:25 pm:

Hall ;
The rear axle of our 1912 was bent, as we could see from the back. So I take off the axle and open it, one of the brass rings was missing !!!! And the two axle halves are bent [ is it a t or a d]
On the pictures you can see how I straighten them
Toon
575r
576r
571r
572r
573r
577r
574r

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:36 pm:

Since you ask. With absolutely no disrespect intended for any of my "other nation" friends. "Bend" with a "D" can be a noun, such as "the bend in the road". Or "bend" with a "D" can be a verb such as "to bend your axle housing". "Bent" with a "T" is a "past tense" of the verb "bend" in that "your axle has been bent" or simply shortened to "your axle is bent" which implies that "it has been".
Please, Anthonie, don't worry about being totally correct in the use of American English. We will figure out what you meant and (most of us) politely ask for clarification if we are confused. Did you know that American English has about four times as many words as any other language in the world and nearly ten times as many as many common languages? It is no wonder we confuse others. It also brings into better focus how bad Americans really are because we learn "second languages" less than anyone else.
Besides, Anthonie, I really enjoy any of your postings I see and greatly respect that work you did to straighten those housings! Fantastic!
Drive safely, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:57 pm:

I agree, don't worry if your English is not perfect. No one else's is either! Thanks for the pics.

I heated mine on one side and sprayed with water to draw it that direction. It got it close as viewed with the naked eye. The bearing went in. I may be pulling it apart again next week or it may be decades. I'll let you guys know if it was far enough off to cause problems.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration