British 'T' Members

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: British 'T' Members
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:53 pm:

I hope that all of our members in the UK are OK with the huge snowfalls and cold freeze they seem to be experiencing at the moment. The cold weather has already claimed 2 lives according to the news story I saw last night. Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:05 pm:

David,

Thank you for reminding us. Sometimes I forget that snow and ice can be very dangerous for areas that do not normally experience that sort of weather. In Iceland they had large four wheel drive busses etc. as well as lots of snow removal equipment. Hopefully with tomorrow being Sunday, most of the folks will be able to stay off the icy roads and indoors where it is warm. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

I read in the Dutch papers that Holland is also experiencing severe problems from the snow. In fact, I read that they had two feet of snow....

sn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:37 pm:

Good one Dick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:38 pm:

I have been in the Bexleyheath / Biggin Hill area for the past few days. It has been tough getting around with snow drifts 4 - 5 feet deep in some places. We had to wait two days for the airport at Biggin Hill to open so we could depart this evening.

Check out the snow drift under our wing, it is about 5 feet tall. For reference, the underside of the wing tip is about 6' 7" off the ground. This picture was taken about 8 hours ago.

This sort of snow is no big deal in Wisconsin or Norway but totally unheard of in the south end of London.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:50 am:

Yeah, as an ex-Londoner I can confirm that sort of weather is rare in the southern half of England. I spoke to Mum in north London yesterday, and she is ok for now, but some colder, rural areas are doing it tough.
So much for the greenies 'Global Warming' eh?
Chris M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 07:46 am:

Snow has gone from Somerset (SW); it's just misty, damp and cold here now. But there are still problems in the eastern half of the country. This is the earliest heavy snow on record, I believe. But 2010 as a whole is the second warmest year ever.
This country doesn't do well with snow for two reasons:
1. We don't often get really heavy snow falls, so we don't invest and aren't prepared.
2. When it does snow, the temperature is only just below freezing, so we get melting/freezing cycles which bring ice each day. It's easier to cope with 'real' winter I think. If the temperature remains below 32F you can clear the snow, the roads stay dry and life goes on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration