Websites or books on the the model T in Australia?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Websites or books on the the model T in Australia?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

Can someone suggest a book or website which has a good account of the history of the model T in Australia. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:21 pm:

I used to have a book called "History of Ford in Australia". Had good information in it, but I loaned it out years ago and never got it back.

It was softbound with a blue cover, and I think the author's name was Darwin or something along that line.

I'd sure like to find another copy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Victoria Aust.) on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:43 pm:

Constantine and Luke,
"The history of Ford in Australia" (author Norm Darwin) is still available through
Eddie Ford Publications Pty. Ltd.
29 Lyons Street
Newstead 3462
Victoria Australia.
Phone number is (03)54762212
Fax (03)54762592

Now I better find my copy, Haven't seen it for a couple of years.:-)
Regards
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

Constantine,

I would also suggest "The History of Ford in Australia: by Norm Darwin. In the preface he says, "The biggest contribution was made by Peter Kabel. Peter willingly took on the research and writing of the Model T Chapters. A task which shortened the gestation period and made the project practicable. Peter's access to a large file of photographic material ensured that the Australian Model T has been properly documented." Pages 11 to 38 cover the 1909-1927 Model Ts and a few other references are made else where in the book.

I would also recommend David Chantrell's excellent book "Duncan & Fraser Ltd. "Legacies Left Untold." Duncan & Fraser were one of the major Ford state distributors and built their own bodies for most of the Fords they sold. While the book covers more than just the Model Ts - it has a lot of information on the Model Ts that Duncan & Fraser Ltd. sold. See David's web site at: http://www.duncanandfraser.com/ David is also a contributor to our forum.

And of course we are also in the effort of gathering additional Australian Ford Literature etc. see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/170162.html

And Canadian information can also be very helpful with complete cars imported early on and up through 1915 or so and the then the Canadian chassis parts afterwards. Again the “Vintage Ford” magazine has an excellent article on the 1920s Canadian Model Ts titled “Only in Canada – Eh!” by Kevin Mowle. If you or anyone else would like a copy of that drop me a note with your e-mail and put “Canadian Model T Article” in the subject line and I will send it to you. The club allows us to do that to promote our club and our hobby..

Robert’s book “In the Shadow of Detroit documents Gorden McGregor life. He was the founder and ppresident of Ford of Canada. That book contains a lot about McGregor and some about the Model Ts that Ford of Canada produced and just a little about Fords sold to Australia See: http://books.google.com/books?id=THOyZ5JwkEQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=In+the+shad ow+of+detroit+by+roberts&hl=en&ei=G_r6TKjtIoW0lQegtYjlDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct= result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I’m looking forward to the suggestions others will have as we are always looking for additional potential information to add to Bruce’s “Model T Encyclopedia.”

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

Colin,

That's it! Thanks much, I shall send off for a copy after Christmas is done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 01:10 am:

Thanks for your replies Luke, Colin and Hap.

Checked with with my library and they have a copy the Norm Darwin book, as well as:

True Blue: 75 years of Ford in Australia. Bill Tuckey

Ford: a history of the Ford Motor Company in Australia. Goeff Easdown

Yes, David's website on Duncan & Fraser Ltd. is great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration