KR Wilson Combination Machine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: KR Wilson Combination Machine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:38 pm:

Have the chance to pickup a KR Wilson combination machine. No pouring or boring fixtures and the only bed plate is for the Model A. The machine is complete with lead screw and split nut handle. I have no idea what the "going price" is to make an offer, any help. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:02 am:

It is pretty useless without the bed plates. The pouring jig is easy to make but the bed/line bore plates are critical measurement.

I sold mine last summer on ebay. It had the machine with a newer motor, a pouring jig, two bed plates for boring standard and .020 under, the false cam, the end cutter for the thrust surfaces, the cylinder boring plates and shaft, the cutters, the bar mic and all of the original and correct quick bolts and pins for the plates. It also had a reamer for standard and .020 although the .020 reamer was not in very good condition. It was all complete, clean, usable and all for Model T. It brought $3300 which I thought was right on the money.

The one Gene French makes is about $1000. I have not used one of his but people seem to be happy with them. He sells a lot of them.

When buying a K R Wilson machine, make sure the tip plate is on the machine. Nothing will line up if you don't have that. If you buy boring bars, make sure they haven't been "tightened up" by filing a little off the tang that goes against the false cam. There are three different designs of T boring bars. The final design has a smaller bar and adjustable gibs to tighten up the clearances as well as adjustable cutter. The first two designs have poured babbitt bearings that are not adjustable and cutters that are not adjustable. Pay more for the latest design.

I would not buy one that was not complete unless it was cheap. I wouldn't think just the machine with one bed plate for a Model A is worth more that $750 - 1000. I'm not sure I'd even pay that, but that is probably what it is worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:16 am:

Thanks, I think I can pick it up for less than the minimum you suggest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:09 pm:

KRW combination machines are a great collectors item, or a good item to buy and re-sell. If you have all the parts, and don't mind doing a lot of fooling around, you can successfully babbitt and bore an engine for yourself, however if you are interested in babbitting for the general public, you are much better off buying or making all new equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:31 pm:

The big advantage of the K R Wilson system is that the final cut is taken with a reamer. This allows people without a great deal of precision ability to do an accurate sizing of the main journals. The K R Wilson system has no provision for reaming undersize for ground cranks unless you have a reamer ground to size. It also has no tooling for pouring caps. When it was built, new cranks were available at the local Ford garage for not a lot of money, grinding was nearly unheard of on a local basis and Ford would sell you a set of caps for less than a buck and a half. All that said, they do a nice job of aligning everything and if you take your time and do it right you can do a good babbitt job with one. There were, and are, quite a few alternatives to the K R Wilson system for pouring and boring babbitt.

Having used my a few times over the years to pour engines, I would agree with Adam if you are going to do anything on a commercial basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:31 pm:

"mine" poofreed! Prufread! puffreid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 05:26 pm:

Thanks all. Not interested into going into business. Years ago I sold another machine except it was complete with everything for the Model T and A. Hated to see this machine rot and rust away in the corner of a garage. In all probability I'll clean it up and sell it. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration