Basic hose clamp question. Most efficient clamp position?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Basic hose clamp question. Most efficient clamp position?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 02:47 pm:

I am in the last stages of assembling my Model T. Just got the radiator on and am installing the rubber inlet and outlet hoses. I have been messing with Model T's and been a backyard mechanic for 40 years, so you'd think I would know such a simple question, but I have never seen this asked so at the risk of appearing totally clueless I need to ask for myself and, perhaps others:

Question: The radiator bottom outlet and top inlet and block outlet and inlet have a ridge around them. When installing the original type hose clamps (with the screw and square nut), where is the most efficient point to position the clamp to ensure the best seal? On top of the ridge, or between ridge and the end of the hose?

I have always positioned the clamp as close as possible to the ridge, between the ridge and the end of the hose and have always gotten good seals, but I'd like your opinion. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 03:25 pm:

Jim, I think that's how to do it. Place the clamp next to the bead on the side away from the coolant. That way, for the hose to blow off it would have to stretch the clamp to slip over the bead. Just my $.02 Happy T'ing. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 03:40 pm:

Look in the Ford Service Book. There are plenty of pictures in there to show you exactly where to have your hose clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 05:36 pm:

Jim,

Smear some (not too much!) RTV on the outside of the item the hose is sliding onto. It will make the seal very water tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:11 pm:

Makes 'em slide on easier too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott conger on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:25 pm:

Henry never used RTV...

and here we go...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:55 pm:

After a slight leak on the radiator side of the lower hose I also used RTV. Made for a much easier installation too. The clamp should not be on the bead but close to it. Screw head position is whatever is easiest for you but they do look better if their all in line.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration