Hood latches won't catch. Solution.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Hood latches won't catch. Solution.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 07:07 pm:

The hood on my 1926 Model T Coupe I have had for 40 years has never latched properly due to the fact that the indentations for the latches to grab onto, are angled downward so that the latches cannot latch, but instead, just slide out of the indentations. I decided to try something and it was very successful, so I thought I would share it with you all.

Faced with the dilemma of a hood that will not latch, so that it flaps in the wind, I decided to see what I could do about making the indentations more able to be latched onto by the hood latches.

After looking at it for a few minutes, I got a drill and put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck, then carefuly drilled a 1/4" through each indentation as close to the bead as possible. After drilling all four holes, I closed and latched the hood. The results could not be better. For the first time in 40 years, the latches pull the hood down tight and snug holding it tightly in place. The latch hooks go into the 1/4" holes and the latch must be pulled up and twisted in order to disengage the latches. I am very pleased. Best thing is, the holes are completely hidden when the latches are in place and with the holes primed and painted black, it looks like it was designed into the hood at the factory. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 07:56 pm:

That sounds like a great idea! I have one which does latch, but tends to unlatch from the vibrations of driving. I believe the hood panel is "after market" because it does not have the indentations pressed into the panel. It just has a bead along the bottom of the hood. Since the hood is already, not quite stock, another modification such as you did would neither make it stock nor more non-stock, but would hold the hood down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks Norm. You are right. Mine is a good quality aftermarket hood (except for the shallow hood catches) which I purchased in 1971 because my original hood was in such bad shape. Rusted, dented and broken at the hinges.

I believe, on the originals, the indentation goes behind the bead, insead of on top of it, so that the indentation is lower than the bead, therefore, the bead is what the hood latch hooks catch on to. I'll bet there are alot of folks with the same problem. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:37 pm:

Another tip: If the rolled edge is rotted or worn through 6" long pieces of drill rod can be driven in thru the ends of the hood. Chamfer one end and knock them in. They'll pass thru the worn spot and continue on to good metal giving you a good spot for the clip plus room for the clip to pass between the rod and the hood to insure a solid latching of the hood.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration