Side view mirror

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Side view mirror
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy L Edwards on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:22 pm:

I am trying to do some Christmas shopping for my husband. I need a little help as I can't obviously ask him.

I want to get a side view mirror for our 1918 center door. I have looked at Lang's catalog and all of theirs seem to be mounted with screws. I know he is not going to want to do that. So I guess I need one that clamps. Does anyone have a suggestions?

Judy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:38 pm:

Judy, with a center door versus an open car with windshield stanchions, or another closed car with door openings near the front of the vehicle I'm not sure you'll have a choice unless one was to adapt a clamp type side mirror. I'm sure some of the guys with more expertise with center doors will chime in if there is anything available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bishop on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:43 pm:

Hi Judy,
I would think Lang's, etc would have the clamp on ones too. Look at Chaffin's Garage online:
http://www.chaffinsgarage.com/l-z/mirror.htm
I would think that #7853C (a clamp-on mirror) might be what you're looking for (your husband can spray paint it black like I did if he wants to). If you have have questions, call Chaffin's and ask for Dave. He will help you.
Or call any of the vendors (suppliers) listed on the right side of the MTFCA home page (Snyder's, Lang's, Mac's, etc). I'm sure all of them could help. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

Don, its good to see you posting. Are you holding the North East T club together ? I don't remember seeing you at Barton's sale. Boy he had a lot of T stuff.

JUDY:

You about have to get a rear view mirror that mounts on the front post because you can't put a hinge mounted mirror on the doors because they are behind the driver. I have had three center doors and I mounted them on the front windshield posts with screws. The only other choice you would have is to get one that clamps to the rain gutter. You may want to consider getting a rear view mirror for both sides. I hope this picture is close enough to see the mirrors.
A109-1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:07 pm:

No. The 7853B or C clamps onto an open car windshield and won't work on a centerdoor. If the centerdoor has oil side lamps, he might be able to modify or make a bracket to bolt onto the lamp bolt. Of course, on only one bolt, it will try to hang down. Without side lamps, I would make or modify a bracket to the wood up under the roof above and in front of the windshield. I have had a couple of closed cars with mirrors up high. It works and looks better than most people would think. I used to get lots of compliments on the 1925 Studebaker. I had put it there because I didn't want to drill holes in the body metal.
Drive safe, and happy holidays, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:54 pm:

Pics I have seen of original Coupes/Sedans had the clamp-type mirror mounted onto a bracket that looks similar to a garage door handle, only shorter. There is a pic of one on this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/170547.html

The mirror is not present, but the bracket is. A regular open car-type mirror should work with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 02:52 pm:

Mike, I remember when you pointed that out on Adrian's thread. If someone wanted to repop somthing, there it is. I've watched eBay for several years for one. Most of the really nice old period mirrors are the clamp on style. I've got one I'm pretty fond of. I'm just going to fabricate somthing and hope it looks right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:48 pm:

John -- I agree that it would be a good piece to reproduce. I suppose a guy could shorten a garage door handle, but it seems that would vibrate a lot since it is thin material. A cast piece would be stiffer and probably work better. I've never seen a real one to know whether they were made from sheet stock or cast. Maybe someone here has seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:09 pm:

Mike I just assumed they were cast.I suppose because the lamp brackets are. I don't know for sure but my old mirror is beveled glass about 5X7 and pretty heavy out on the end of the bracket. If you find 2 pick one up for me. ;)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration