A trusted family member retires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: A trusted family member retires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:03 pm:

I make it a practice of inspecting the inside of my timer at least once a year, even if I don't have any real reason to do so. Today I was looking at my old 1920's Anco timer which I got at a swap meet about ten years ago for $1.00.

This trusted unit has run well over 10,000 miles with no problems. I probably could eek out two or three more years on this one but am not as frugal as I once was.

This is what I saw when I opened her up tonight:

As you can see all the contacts have some wear, the contact at the right, #2 cylinder, is almost paper thin.

I have been a staunch advocate of these timers, but must now admit that even an Apco isn't forever. I suspect that the new Anderson timers are made of stouter stuff, but since folks claim they still find sludge inside them, like you see in this one, they must be wearing also.

Here is a look at another swap meet timer which I installed tonight. Expect to pay a premium when you find a nice one like this... this cost me $5 at the Turlock swap meet earlier this year... I was willing to go that high because it came with a nice NOS flapper also.

I think a big part of that $5 was due to the two minutes or so the guy ran his bead blaster over it. He did include four keen new hex nuts which I did not end up using. Maybe I can sell the nuts and defray some of my maintenance cost!

Cheers, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:08 pm:

Great swap meet find on the timer. Looks like you got your $$$ worth out of your old one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:11 pm:

Terry, you're Scotch enough to be a relative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:13 pm:

Terry, you might want to borrow a K R Wilson timing cover alignment gauge to check your timing cover installation. Could be why your Anderson timer wore out so quickly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:31 pm:

The contacts on that "new" one look like it just might last another 10,000 or more. Use some of the lube on it so it won't wear down too fast.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:08 pm:

Terry, If the new Anderson's last half as long as that one I don't know how anyone could complain. Just curious, how many flappers did that one wear out? What did you use for lube?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:27 pm:

John,
I went through two vintage flappers and have been using a Mr.T flapper for about 8 years now.

That may not be fair, the first vintage flapper failed and was removed because the spring fell out (in the High Rock Desert) and got lost... so I changed it out to another vintage flapper. I can't remember why I switched to a Mr. T flapper... it may be because his seem a bit sturdier.

The "new" timer came with a flapper which is in the bottom of my tool box.

Lube? I just wipe out most of the gooey stuff you find inside the used timer. That is oil and powdered steel. The oil gets there when it leaks past my modern CR seal which is under the flapper pressed into the front of the timing cover casting. It really doesn't take much to oil it. I suspect I would have had longer better service if I wasn't too lazy to put a drop or two of motor oil onto it every year or two.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:12 am:

Terry

Nice to see what you can get so many miles on that old Anderson.

My new one (Frank's) version, did get a bit of wear too, on about 4,000+ miles. The flapper in this one has the heavy duty Montana 500 stiff spring, so that is why maybe?

Changed out the flapper to the std one Frank sends out.....gonna last 10k miles for me too :-)

You can see the 'gunk' inside. I used a smear of grease high temp that Frank provides, on the contact portions.....but still got a bit of wear due to that Montana flapper....

Here is another that is going in my current project, its an original Anderson timer case with new innards by Frank....but with the std spring on the flapper :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration