Nickel radiator shroud question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Nickel radiator shroud question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:03 pm:

My '27 Coupe is coming together rapidly since I painted the body in mid Nov. I've now assembled the fenders to the chassis/body and would like to finish the hood shelf/radiator area. I had bought a new brassworks radiator and it came with an extra set of small mounting brackets.
My question is...does the nickel shroud attach to the radiator near the upper part of the side panel? Or does it connect only by the bottom posts? If it connects on the upper side then I will have to rivet the mounting bracket somewhere on the upper side of the radiator. Can anyone help me on this as to how the radiator shroud is attached and where those bracket mount? I've not been able to see one up close?

I have seen the good posts and diagrams on the "sequence" assembling all these items and I do thank those guys for those!

thanks again!
John Dempsey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:21 pm:

Mine is attached to the side panel as well as the bottom. You should see the "counter sunk" mounting hole on the radiator shell. If I can remember (old age problem) I will measure where the attach point is located on the radiator. No instructions came with the radiator? Guess you could call tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:36 pm:

Thanks Jim...most items I've had to purchase have NO instructions. I thought about calling them...and I will if I have to...I'd rather run the questions through this forum first. I haven't had a lot of luck with technical assistance from the vendors.
This forum has been a lifesaver to me.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:44 pm:

John

The Brassworks comes with those 2 brackets and four pop rivets to install them.

Look at this original and you can see where to place them, they fit over the hole in the upper side of the radiator.

Best to place the nickel shell over the radiator for test fit, then mark with a pick the place to drill the holes for the pop rivets, then the brackets will be right at the spot for the two nickle plated oval head single slot screws that fit into the bracket ( thru 'speed nuts' that clip to the bracket). The heads of those screws are then hidden by the anti squeak webbing you have around the shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:47 pm:

John, I just happened to have a shell handy and measured it for you. The proper thing would be to measure a radiator with the shell brackets in place, but I don't have the radiator handy. Measuring the side of the shell, starting at the bottom of the mounting flange, the mounting hole should be centered 15" from the bottom. (Top of the mounting bar) Since this measurement really needs to be taken off the radiator side plate, I suggest you mount the brackets to the recessed upper mounting hole on each side of the shell and slide the shell to where it rests on the radiator mounting bar. Then mark the side plates where the bracket needs to be attached. The bracket should attach vertically, not horizonally. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:52 am:

Wow....thanks Dan and Terry....I'll do it today. I really appreciate your time and effort!
Your responses and pics are wonderful!

The forum came through, for me, again.

Thanks all,
John Dempsey

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration