Hope you can help - Model T Tool Kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Hope you can help - Model T Tool Kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:38 am:

Hi:

My uncle died and when clearing out his basement we came across this tool kit (see photo). A lot of the tools are marked Ford and T-1917. So my questions: Is this a model T tool kit or is it just something that was put together from tools he found? and second does the T-1917 mean the tools were for a 1917 model T?

Thanks for any help.Mystery Toolkit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on the Plains of Colorado on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:46 am:

Thats a nice set of tools there Doug. Some are the original Model T tool set, some are additional items. I'm sure the experts will chime in on this. BTW. Those are nice pliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:58 am:

T-1917 is the double-end wrench that came standard with Model T Fords (1917 is the part number, not the year). Its main purpose is for adjusting the bands.

It is a very common wrench and over the years there were variations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:43 am:

Nice tools. From two ,I can tell you they were from the 26-27era. The monkey wrench has the square end ,used to remove differential plug and the hub cap wrench has the extensions for reaching the cones on the wire wheel. Nice find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:22 am:

Thanks for the info so far. Let me see if I have this right so far:

1) These tools are mainly from the 26-27 era
2) They aren't a "matched set" so there isn't a need to keep them all together to maximize value.

Questions:

1) which is the hub cap wrench?
2) Is the bag original ie 26-27?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:36 am:

The hup cap wrench is the top one on the left side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:48 am:

One of the major vendors had some old original tool bags about twenty years ago and I think he was selling them for $15. The monkey wrench with the square end I usually sell for $25, because it is 1926 and later. The stamped steel hub cap/combination wrench is 1926-1927 and is probably a $15 item. The rest of the tools I usually get $5 to $10 each for, and there really is not a great demand for them. The tire irons are handy, but probably don't have a Ford script on them. If they did, they are probably the most valuable tools in the kit. The pocket knife is not a Ford tool, of course. The whole kit is reasonably worth $75 to $100 to someone who really wants it.

Bear in mind that there were 15,000,000 Model T's made and they all came with a tool kit. Since these tools could be used for many other things besides fixing the car, most times the tool kit was saved when the car was scrapped (or in some cases even when the car was sold, in which case the new owner might even buy another set of tools from the local Ford branch. Tools also got left on the running boards and were lost on the road and had to be replaced, etc, etc.) With that said, there are probably way, way more tool sets in existence than there are Model T's

An interesting tool story: When my Dad was a kid, there was a neighbor a couple houses away that ran a road grader in the 20's-40's. Every time he saw a tool on the road, he would stop and pick it up. All three garage walls were hanging absolutely full of antique car tools... Nobody knows where they all ended up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:12 pm:

I wonder about the tool bag. Could that style have been used from the early '20s until '25, when they came out with the new style bag with the strap at the top? I suppose if there is a part number for tool bags, and I'm sure there is, we could find out at the archives. I agree that most of those tools pictured are 1926-7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 02:52 am:

The tire irons and pliers have been the toughest parts for me to find for my kit. (of course, I've found them, but I'm too cheap to buy in most cases!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:52 am:

I believe the toolbag was supplied with the Fordson tractors. Cars from '21 to '24 had a tool roll.
Other tools issued with the cars were a jack an oil can and a pump.

The smaller image is for an earlier car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By justin h on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:48 am:

now that would be awesome to have a basic tool kit like that that was capable of removing every bolt, nut, and screw on a model T to keep with the vehicle at all times

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:52 am:

Thanks Rob. This bag isn't like either of those shown. It has a "closing widget" a turning knob is the best description (but isn't good) and no pockets or slanting pouch, it is just straight across.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:54 am:

Ooops!! apology time Rob. I see your point. You are showing me what it should have been like as opposed to what you think it is. Sorry again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:05 pm:

This is a picture of the tool kit we assembled for our '26 Touring with the then optional steel spoke wheels. My understanding is that the 26/27's came with the tool pouch rather than the tool roll which was then carried over to the Model A. The T-shaped wrench was used for the steel spoke lugnuts. The ratchet jack pictured is not correct for a T, but we've since replaced it with a correct one which is very similar but still of the ratchet type. The manual is also not correct and has been replaced since the pic was taken. The adjustable wrench you have with Ford on the fixed jaw and the square lug are very hard to find. The more typical ones with Ford on the adjustable jaw are primarily from the Model A's and early V-8s.

26 Tool Kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

The items on this list marked as "Regular Equipment" indicate what was supplied with a T from '20 - '24,
or so I'm lead to believe.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration