Weird holes in firewall? Heater controls?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Weird holes in firewall? Heater controls?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:28 am:

I know this can't be some home done hack job because these holes are really done with some precision. They are consistent and equal, the edges feel like they were punched or pressed out and not sawed out.

The heater I have came with the car but in another thread where someone posted having the same type, it was clear that the vent controls and register for this were part of the floorboard and not part of the firewall.

Doies anyone have any idea what should go here????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:39 am:

Woops, the forum isn't allowing me to post pics.

Here are links to the pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/1205102147-00.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/1205102146-00.jpg

See where they are? Just behind and to the right of the exhaust manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:22 am:

If I remember correctly the lower hole is a speedometer cable hole. I need to go look at my Touring car to be sure though. I doubt that either is heater related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:08 am:

I just want to add that Ford did not place a hole in the metal firewall to accept a speedometer cable. The wood floorboard was notched, and if the Model T had engine pans, the cable went through the hole for the carburetor drain. This is documented in the installation procedures published by Stewart Warner. Hope this helps. Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 05:43 am:

No sir I know this is all accessory stuff and done aftermarket. I just wonder what for?

Everyone else I know who have things like this have it usually run thorugh saw cut rough holes. This one you can feel where it was pressed out and very neatly done. Too high to be a foot pedal for something.

I'm gonna forward Jay the link for this. He might know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:45 am:

I notice your choke bellcrank is bolted on instead of being riveted. Could this have been a replacement firewall that also has provisions to fit the linkage for 26-27 carburetors and vaporizers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:59 am:

Here's a couple pics on firewalls.

This one below is an early metal low firewall (1923), prior to the dash brace on the instrument panel. No extra holes or that elongated 'slot'.

But by 1924, the elongated 'slot' was added. The pic below is my late 1924, still with 3 dip pan.

Now you can see that the firewall has that added elongated or oval hole.

Mine even has the very rare Part # 345BBT rubber oval gasket with the slot for use with the

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:27 am:

Mine also has the holes as described above, and it's a 24-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:36 pm:

I had a look at my '24 Touring. It does not have the slot or hole in its firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

Neat! :-) So I wonder what could have gone here?????

Along the lines of what Tom said, could these be replacment firewalls that covered all years?

Do the improved car carbs have linkages this low???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:10 am:

Patrick, I by any stretch am not an expert, but I am inclined to agree with Tom. I have found MANY low steel firewalls over the years. There were surely many of the wood firewalls replaced over the years since the original production used the steel ones for such a short time. I have six or seven of them now I think. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:28 am:

So are these for a later carb?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:29 am:

and if so why would the holes be so large????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 03:17 am:

I have seen that hole before and wondered the same thing. It's too small to get the speedo cable through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:55 am:

I checked the metal firewall on my 1924 Tudor (February 1924 build date), which has never been disassembled or restored, and it has no holes. This car has the "high" firewall. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:15 am:

I always thought that hole was on the 25 firewalls but apparently not. I just looked at my June 1924 Coupe and it has the hole - along with the four rivet data plate. I have no idea what it is for. There is also another small hole in the top of the protrusion where it covers the back of the head. You can see it as a white spot in the second photo Dan posted - just to the right of the carb rod. I think I heard at some point a hole was added to hang it for painting????

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:41 pm:

No hole on my 25 tudor firewall in that location...Rick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration