Cleaning grained vinyl rooftop material on closed Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Cleaning grained vinyl rooftop material on closed Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 08:41 am:

The grained rooftop material on my '26 coupe has not been cleaned in years. Originally, it was a nice shiny black color, but now, it has a dull, light green tinge (not paint) that is possibly a combination of dirt, dust, mold, mildew and tree pollen.

What is the safest most effective way to clean the deep grains of this material?

After cleaning, what is the best material to put on the vinyl to protect it and give it a nice new sheen? Years ago, I would have used "Armorall", but read in this forum that "Armorall" is not the best product to use for preserving vinyl. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 08:49 am:

Since this is free advice, you can take it or leave it, and the price is right. :-)

1. Westley's Bleche-Wite using a fingernail brush to get into the grain. Rinse EXTREMELY well.

2. Then bleach/water at about 50% concentration. Rinse well and allow to dry.

3. Mother's brand Back to Black- applied with a sponge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 08:55 am:

Jim,
Years ago, when vinyl tops were the rage, they sold a product called something like Top Wax. It came in at least white and black, maybe a neutral color. Now days, I would check with your local Mequiars dealer (not the local discount auto parts store...go to a professional detail shop supplier). I would be pretty certain they would have some good stuff. As for cleaning it, I would use Wesley's Bleach White and a scrub brush, but the detailer may have recommendations too. You might want to be sure the top material is not cracked or else whatever you are cleaning with might get inside to the headliner.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:49 am:

A scrub brush & Dawn dish soap will clean a top in short order.

This is what I use on my cars that have vinyl tops.

I second the "back to black" product. It does work well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:03 pm:

"Back to Black"? Is this product a, black in color, coloring agent, or is it a cleaner? I would prefer to thoroughly clean off the layer of dirt and grime before coloring over it. Thank you for your suggestions. I will check into these products. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:05 pm:

Jim,

It is neither.

Use Google to find out more about it.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:04 pm:

Mother's Back to Black is a great product. I've also had very good luck with Vinyl/Rubber dressing from Griot's for large area stuff like tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie, Chehalis, Wa on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:33 am:

Jim, From your posts I know you read and follow the instructions on the product you're using, but......... This is just a reminder when cleaning a top be careful that none of the cleaner gets on the paint and stays there too long! I know it's going to tell you that on the container.............
Good Luck
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:57 am:

Murphy's Oil Soap won't hurt anything (that I know of)and will clean as well as almost anything else.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration