Double post tail light. for 1926 taillight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Double post tail light. for 1926 taillight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:26 am:

I am installing a brake light on my '26 Model T equipped with a '26 tail light assembly, 8786CX and just received a double post tail-light socket. It is very cheap and the two contacts inside will not even properly align with the bulb posts, so that they don't remain stationary, but are allowed to turn inside the socket so that it is almost impossible to get the contacts to stay in place so contact can be made and even if contact can be made, I can envision that just a little vibration could cause the contacts to vibrate off making for an unsafe situation in that the unknowing driver will be driving without a tail light, or brake light and Model T's are hazardous enough without adding one more unsafe situation.

I'm thinking about doing an experiment by attempting to adapt a double contact headlight plug #6592X with a metal socket 6574X. If it will work, I think it will be a much more reliable and functional connection for the tail light and brake light. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:23 pm:

I hope your idea works. I used the adaptor unit from Langs and it worked great for the double bulb, allowing me to make nice brake lights. Sounds like a poor or faulty unit/design if it spins like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:30 pm:

I recently found a really good tail light solution. SuperbrightLEDs.com (no affiliation - just a customer) sells an LED motorcycle brake/tail light. It fits a standard 1157 socket (which they also sell), fires bright and dim red out the back, and constant white out the side for the license plate. Here's the link.

The only downside is that it runs on 12V, but there's an easy fix for that, too. Just ground the socket through another 6V battery. Since the lamp only draws 62ma in tail light mode and 120ma in stop light mode, a $1.99 Radio Shack battery holder and 4 AA batteries gets you the extra 6 volts, and pencils out to about 30 hours of use per set of batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:10 am:

I think in later years, Ford introduced a replacement tailight for T's in the style of a 25-7. I mentioned this in my article. They have a double sided socket, just like a headlight, but nothing is inside. You can use either a single contact plug or a double. The plug HAS TO HAVE two spring loaded contacts or one depending the application. These plugs aren't hard to find at swapmeets. I use them on both of my '25s, and enjoy them. I use a standard '26-7 stoplight switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 04:36 pm:

I received the double contact headlight parts and they will fit the tail lamp light. Only problem is, the double contact tail light bulb I have, is too big to allow the lens cup retainer to seat in the tail lamp base. Is there a small 6v double contact tail lamp bulb with a filament for the tail lamp and a filament for the brake light? If so what would the part number be in Lang's or Snyder's catalog? I've looked in the Langs catalog but there are so many bulbs I can't be sure that the one I would be ordering is the size I need. In the Langs catalog, there is a 6-3 C.P. which I assume means 6v 3 candle power, but it only comes in a single contact. They have 6v double contact Halogen bulbs but I don't know what size they are. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 04:54 pm:

Here are the photos I forgot to post of the job of adapting the good quality double post headlight plug to the tail light. I should also add that the small 6v double contact tail light bulb I need, should have straight pins. Not offset. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:31 am:

Did the 27's have a brake light from the factory?
When I bought mine, it had a pull style brake light switch attached to the seat frame rail (I think) and a rod that went through a hole in the brake pedal. It had a fabric wire in the harness going to the switch but no wire coming off the output side of the switch? It didn't appear to have any wire (that I could find) in the harness going to the tail light? It had a 2 filament tail light with 2 wires. All I did was add a wire from the switch to the unused wire at the tail light and I had brake light?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:15 am:

No, they only came with a taillight from the factory.

Jim,

According to Lang's website, you need a 6-21CPD bulb for your converted taillamp.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:23 am:

Jim,

You'll also need a 6495BR socket assembly to use with that bulb which has offset pins, unless you grind off the offending pin since you are trying to use a headlamp bulb socket which is to be used with straight pin bulbs.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:19 pm:

I bought a 21-3 cp bulb from Snyders, that will eliminate that problem. It is made for the Model A cowl lights that are coverted to turn signals. What I don't like is, you have to file the high pin off to get it to fit. It does work however.
I mentioned to Don, that he should also have these made with straight across pins, and he agreed that that would be nice. Lets wait and see.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration