Another Scammer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Another Scammer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:33 am:

I just re-posted our ad on the classifieds and received a response from this individual. Never heard of this individual Morgan Sorenson at m.sorenson114@hotmail.com. Anyone receive any similar responses from this same subject. Does anyone know this individual. As always, your help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:00 pm:

I found this with his name on it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:51 pm:

He's trying to mess with me right now ,but I think I've countered him. It's not nice to kick old dogs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 02:03 pm:

Jack;
Your not an ole dog, your an ole buzzard. LOL
How much snow did you get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 02:08 pm:

The number of phoney hits I got on a recent Classified listing really threw me.That particular name didn't show up but I got e-mails with exactly the same wording from different names/addresses. It became easier over time to pick them out because of the headings on the messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:35 pm:

Richard,4-5 inches with more on the way. I could use a good shoveler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:42 pm:

What is this snow stuff you fellows keep referring to in your posts? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:25 pm:

Youall call it Poinsetta killer.(G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:26 pm:

It seems that over a number of posts in the Forum about scammers on the classified site (over the last month or so)that it's either ignored or the subject topic is changed in later postings. What's up with that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:02 am:

Sorenson is also the name on alot of electrical parts from Autozone.
dang shame the scammers are makeing a mess of the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:34 am:

Jack,

Confirm you have also been contacted by this same individual?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:18 am:

Yes,he just this morning sent me an email saying he sent money. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:57 am:

I had a Nigerian visa applicant once and we got to chatting during the interview. He said that it was very frustrating for him and the many other legitimate, hard-working Nigerians (I think he may have been a doctor doing an internship here, or similar) because as soon as people see his Nigerian passport, they don't trust him. It is sad when a few jerks give everyone a bad name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 02:41 pm:

Mark:

I have an NH carburetor for sale in the MTFCA Classifieds. I got a letter from a Mark Sorenson, that I thought was strange because he said he was sending money and he would have his shipper pick up the carb ???? I have sold hundreds and hundreds of parts and never had a shipper show up for a part!!!! I going to write him back and tell him that I will accept cash only no checks. I have never had a bad check in all the years I have been selling parts, Model T people mostly seem like good people. But I don'tknow about this deal.

A114

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:46 pm:

Got the same routine about a shipper picking up parts. Was told the check being sent to me would be for more than the price of the items. I was to send the excess to the shipper. Told him to send the check. I'd be happy to pay his shipper the excess after the check cleared and not before. Didn't send any address information and no further messages followed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George A Wood on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 07:50 pm:

Scammers on the net are not the only ones to look out for. Do not trust someone simply because they are a member who posts on the forum. If you do not know them be carefully about trusting with money or parts. If I had checked with people in the area that knew the man I was dealing with I would not be out $1600.
George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:21 pm:

These guys will pay you with a bogus money order/check and then notify their shipper to show up for the item and want you to pay for the shipping out of your pocket. They then disappear and you later find their check/money order is a fake and you are holding the bag. Don't let them have the item untill it clears the bank and make them pay their own shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:28 pm:

During further discussion, I told him I would only ship to his address by UPS. He agreed and provided the following response:

"Hi Mark,

My Address is 769 S. Dearborn Street, Seattle, WA 98134"

He further stated the check was in the mail. We shall see what arrives. I do suspect fraud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:47 pm:

Jack;
That picture from Dave looks a little like you without your hat. (grin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:54 pm:

Mark:

I sent Mark Sorenson an email telling him that I would have to have cash. He sent one back that he has all ready sent a money order. When and if the shipper shows up I am going to tell him I still need cash for the carburetor.

A367b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:16 am:

A good scammer would do a couple low to medium dollar deals to show creditability and gain trust on this forum, then spring the big one on a trusting soul. My opinion don't ship or deliver or hand over anything until you have cash in hand, and a few weeks have passed if the cash came from a check that you deposited or cashed. Better safe than scammed, and there are good scammers out there.... I think they have infiltrated our classified ads, and are waiting to spring the big one. I think the scammers are on this forum, (as new members), and joined less than six months ago.... I won't go any farther so I don't start another riot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:26 am:

Richard,don't quit your day job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:51 am:

Mark

Don't think you will get a good check from M Sorenson, the address you posted doesn't exist on S. Dearborn St in Seattle.

In fact, that corner is the back side of the Seattle Public Library.....bet this scammer works off public net in the Library. :-( Theives, using tax dollars too. What a world.

Checked that address with Google, and White Page reverse seach, no such address exists.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 01:12 am:

If you can send me the email with the full header I might be able to trace the IP. I've had several scammers with hotmail addresses emailing me from Nigeria.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:50 am:

Here's one I received tonight...seems like he should know where I am since he initiated contact.
Would love to follow up just to find out what his angle is...certainly to steal from me. Maybe just a Lord of the rings buddy....

I am Frodo Davies from 49 Doughty St London. I am a wood carver, I would be coming to u.s.a to announce my sculptures for sales on 14th of January,kindly let me know how much you charge for taken picture for me while I am on the move for the sculptures sales announcement . please give me your zip code so I can locate an hotel near to you and also your price for the service to be rendered.

I would look forward to read from you soon

Frodo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:39 am:

Bob, I think he types with a Nigerian accent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:44 am:

Might be a small group. I too got that "look forward to read from you" garbage from a classified ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:30 pm:

They are really amusing to me. I got one back during the summer, responded and turned it over to an FBI friend after they send two credit card #'s to pay for merchandise. Turns out the cards were stolen from RBC,Canada. Glad we got the cards deactivated, FBI says they were fishing to test the cards...a real shame because the order was over three grand. They used a bogus address in SC and a real land line # in Seattle.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

I'm with Dave. I think I won't waist another minute of my time with this individual. Keep your open. They are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:16 pm:

Come on guys... this is the B.S. of a scammer. It has become caviot emptor in reverse. Don't waste your time with these Bozo's. Credit Cards are either good or they are not.

I'm with you Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:29 pm:

Dan is right. There's no such address. The address given falls into what looks like an industrial/commercial area. Here's a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G. Lazar on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:57 pm:

m.sorenson114@hotmail.com. NOTE the 114 in the address, it's a control # so they can keep track of their scams, also note how general the email content is, don't respond at all to these! So any address with #'s are always scams.
Ask for something specific in the subject line for any response to any of your ads. or ask for an answer in the subject line that only a real car nut would know. Also when you receive an e mail, 'google' the address just to see what shows up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Green (Dexter, Mi) on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

G. Lasar,
You statement that "So any address with #'s are always scams" is not true. Lots of people have e-mail addresses with numbers.
Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration