What's your feelings on this car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What's your feelings on this car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-Touring-Restored-w-brass-carbide-ker osene-lamps-NO-RESERVE-/170574747709?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b70c183d

Reason I ask is because I believe it's been listed before but was about 2 grand lower the first time. The information he gives about the engine number, etc., points to the car having been built in calendar year 1913, but closer to the later part of October. It also does not have a 1913 body on it.

I had sent the seller a note when the car was originally on ebay about how the serial number for October 1913 would actually make it a 1914. He posted my information on the original auction, but on this second listing, he did not revise the information. It is worded exactly like it was originally.

I assume he's just taking the word of the title, which is obviously wrong. Also, is anyone of the opinion that it may be priced too high? And in this day and age you would think as much information as is available on these cars, someone would take the time to ask questions and find out information if they truly "do not know enough to give an answer".

It's a nice car, and I'm not trying to bash it. Hell, I'd love to have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:16 pm:

Is it the same seller name this time? If not, it most likely was copied and put up for bid again by a scammer. Seen it happen many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:19 pm:

Yes, I do believe it to be the same seller. But I honestly do not remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:27 pm:

I found it....here's the original listing, and yes, it's the same person. What made it worth 2,000 more since November 10th?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170561467607

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:31 pm:

Probably nothing made it worth $2000 more. It's worth (to the buyer) what that buyer will pay for it, not what the seller is asking for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:32 pm:

Here's a portion of the information I gave to him..

“Whom ever told you the body looks like a 1914 and not a 1913 is correct. Your serial number shows the car having been manufactured in October of 1913. This would make it a 1914 model. The doors on a 1913 are square and even with the bottom of the body sill, unlike the doors on your car, which are rounded and do not go all the way down like the '13's would. ….The numbers listed for 1913 are the serial numbers that were stamped in the 1913 CALENDAR year, not to be confused with the new model year….”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:34 pm:

I was mistaken...he didn't post the information on the auction, he just did not refer to the original information available in the question section at the bottom of the auction. If you click on the original listing, my response to him is not visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:37 pm:

Seth,

I understand that. I'm just curious. Obviously, if he listed it originally at 18 5, and then again at 20 5, he's willing to accept lower. Or maybe he thinks it's worth more. It wasn't bid upon the first go round. And so far, none this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:43 pm:

Yes, so it obviously isn't worth $20,500 in the marketplace, just like it wasn't worth $18,500 the first time around.

Perhaps the seller is hoping that a riverboat gambler will win lots of money and badly want his model T in the next couple of days.

Which may indeed happen. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 07:54 pm:

He might be trying to play off the, "Its starting bid is really high so it must REALLY be a rare car mentality."

For the money he's asking you could get a pristine T that you could pull out of the garage and go anywhere without a worry in the world. Not one you have to fill with water every 30 minutes or deal with leaking hoses and oil smoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:38 pm:

According to the engine serial number, the engine was built in November of 1913 and of course, the car was built after that date, so it could be a 1914. I brightened up one of the photos to get a better look at the details. It definitely has the 1914-type doors and the windshield folds backwards, but I know better than to take a stand and proclaim that it must therefore be a 1914 model (which would presumably be worth somewhat less than a 1913 model).

The owner mentions there's a few things wrong with it including an oil leak and a coolant leak that requires refilling the radiator every half-hour. It's got some rust, the paint is old and judging by the brass parts, the car hasn't been 'babied.' No mention is made of when the engine, transmission and rear end were last overhauled and with no auxilary brakes, that brings up the question of whether there's still babbitt in the differential.

On the other hand, the car seems very complete and original, has nice looking upholstery, the cherrywood dash looks good and so do the tires. It doesn't look like the car has been abused at all, but I get the impression it's real tired and will need quite a bit of work.

With that in mind, $20,500 does sounds like top-dollar for the car--but I suppose that's what you'd expect from an auction.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:48 pm:

The 1914 model year began in August 1913. At that time Ford began calling the new body styled cars "1914 Fords".

Maybe if he raises the price to $40,000 someone will bid?

Read more:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1914.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:02 pm:

Seems like if he really wanted to sell it he would make it look like it was worth the price he was asking by putting a little elbow grease in that brass brightwork and compound and wax the finish as well as the underside. It's all in the presentation. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:39 pm:

I don't necessarily want a car I have to fill with water every 30 minutes. To me, that's not a slow leak. Ok, my bad, my crossed-eyes saw October, not November.

Bob, it would not be at all blasphemous to say it was a 1914, because that's exactly what it is. It has a 1914 MODEL year motor, a 1914 body, and a rear folding windshield (1913's folded forward). It doesn't have a speedometer, which I assume it came with one as standard equipment in 1914.

If a person bought it, how hard would it be to change a title to reflect what the car actually is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:07 pm:

I wonder if the lamps match and if there mounting screw holes in the dash where the speedo should have been? Why i wonder about that is at the age of a old resto i think the dash should have turned blondish by now?? I also wonder about body #'s on the seat riser and mfg? No help only more questions. Bud. If it's real and some correct mats/tires who knows?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:06 pm:

The degree of difficulty in correcting the title depends on the jurisdiction. In some states it would be easy. Others like to make it a costly bureaucratic nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:29 pm:

It's the car that makes it a '14, not the title. It does have the '13 style tailpipe.

If I could get $20,500 for my '14 Touring, which is in slightly better condition than the one in the auction, I'd sell it, replace it, pocket eight grand and explain the whole deal to my wife later (we used the car in our wedding; she loves it).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:34 pm:

It has a '14 body. I have a '14 Touring with a Aug 1913 casting date motor and a '14 serial no.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration