Foot Feed for Right Hand Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Foot Feed for Right Hand Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:56 pm:

We have just installed a home made foot feed set up for Albert, my '26 RHD TT Truck.

An interesting exercise, not too difficult to do, but several hours spent thinking about the way to do it.

I had acquired a LHD foot feed kit, and the only bit we used was the rubber pedal and about 4 inches of the shaft that it was threaded on to :-)

I am sure there is more than one way to skin a cat, so our set up will be one of many solutions!

It goes like this (sorry I don't have pictures at the moment):

Pedal goes through hole in floor boards to the right of the brake. Hand brake and aux gearbox lever bent further over to the right to give clearance.
shaft installed under foot board with lever at one end hooked to pedal shaft, and lever at other end to rod running forward to carb (with a few kinks to clear pedals, firewall and exhaust etc).
End of rod attached to standard carb linkage.
new connecting rod made from standard throttle lever connector curving around the manifold to carby connection arm. This follows that elegant curve that all RHD owners will recognise :-)
The carby end of the new connector slips into a tube with one end connected to the standard carb linkage. This slides when the foot feed is used, but overrides the foot feed whenever the hand throttle is used.

SO, for those RHD drivers wondering how it can be done, it is actually a lot easier to use and change Ruckstell and aux gearbox now. No need for contortions and reaching the right arm through the steering wheel to use throttle while thrashing around after gear levers with the left arm :-)

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:41 pm:

The foot feed is an evil foisted on the world by those primitive sliding gear transmissions. If Henry had perservered with 3 and 4 speed planetaries, there would never be a need for a foot feed, and no pedal confusion that has caused so many accidents and deaths. Just ask Mr. Toyoda.

Other than that, :-) good job Adrian; taking your time and energy showing how it's done. Thank you.

I have a planetary overdrive in the ol' brass picup, so no need for all that faulderaul. Upshift is done by a quick close of the throttle, and downshift is automatic at 28 mph.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks Ricks, it does take some of the fun away from the hand throttle, but then again, the install allows me to choose between both worlds :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Cornelius on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:04 pm:

Boy, you guys are aging yourself when you call a accelerator pedal a "foot feed"! I took a car to a garage some time ago to check what I thought was a problem with the "foot feed". He asked me "foot feed" to what? When I told him to the carb he said "oh, the accelerator pedal".
Guess years ago they had to come up with a name for it when they took it off the steering column?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration