1926 Coupe all together again after 10 years

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1926 Coupe all together again after 10 years
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:31 am:

Well I finally got "Miss Daisy" together over the weekend, after 10 years in parts. I took a few pictures for you. It was beginning to get dark, so the light was not the best so I'll take somemore when the light is better.

I still need to put the antifreeze/water in the radiator and oil in the crankcase and hook up a few more wires, before bringing her to life, but thanks to the help you all, I'm about done. This has been a MTFCA community effort.

My wife had never seen it together and made four trips out to the garage last night, just to look at it. I think she's in love. LOL!

My next project will be my '26 Fordor. Thank
you. Jim Patrick

PS. I still have to clean the top and sunvisor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:42 am:

It is so pretty it doesn't look real! very nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G. Tillstrom on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:02 am:

You didn't have to tell us that it needs oil and water. We could tell as the driveway is clean! Very nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:13 am:

Jim, great job and a great looking coupe!
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob from Missouri on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:17 am:

Jim, Very very nice. I wish the 27 Tudor that I just picked up looked that good.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:17 am:

Nice truck also. Thought it was mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:36 am:

Wow! It sure looks great Jim, you must be pleased.

The pin stripe looks really sharp too.

When you get a chance, I for one would love to see some pictures of the interior, and trunk.

Nice work!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:20 pm:

Beautiful car, Jim :-) Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:25 pm:

Jim;
I'll have to get down to your place and check it out.
Richard of Homosassa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse granville,ohio on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:31 pm:

beautiful car, Jim. Wish mine looked that good! Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:35 pm:

Well done Jim. Do you have any before pictures?

Bill R. '25 Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:44 pm:

They sure don't come any better looking than that, Jim. You are a true craftsman.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:47 pm:

Excellent. Hey, that aerosol Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy sure looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:15 pm:

Looking good! When I was a boy all Model T's were over 15 years old and they did not shine like yours. They all looked like a flat faded black. Maybe they shined when they were new, but the old paint oxidized.

Your car looks just like it would be brand new.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:36 pm:

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Coming from you all, it means alot, but I couldn't have done it without your valuable advice and help.

Here are a few more pictures I took a few minutes ago at High Noon during lunch today. The day is perfect. A brisk 50 degrees F and not a cloud in the sky. Unfortunately my driveway is shaded by big ol' centuries old Grandfather oak trees, so there is still not as much light as I wanted, but they turned out better than the ones I took late yesterday.

There are still a few primed bolt heads I still need to touch up, but I did clean the roof and sunvisor. The two small signs on the rear window say, "Keep Cool with Coolidge" and "Repeal the Volsted Act". Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 02:36 pm:

Beautiful car- well worth the time and effort.
An inspiration to others in the hobby.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 02:49 pm:

Way to go, Jim. That's sweet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:05 pm:

Mighty fine! How about a close up of that dash mounted clock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:20 pm:

Very nice Jim, looks great.

One question, Does the oil line that enters the block below the horn go any place after it get inside the block/crankcase?
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:43 pm:

OH, Yeah!! That is very nice! I bet you wish you had it done in time for your wedding. Now, get out there and enjoy driving that beauty!
And drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:49 pm:

I think your car looks a little better than my '26 Coupe. This picture was taken in '54 after a garage fire. I bought the car in '53 and did a lot of work on it prior to the loss. A kid's first car always brings back special memories.

Great job on your car. Thanks for allowing us a peek at your beauty.

My first car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:52 pm:

Luke. I'll get a picture of that clock for you tonight and post it tomorrow.

I also have a Model 160 and a Model 490 Stewart speedometer, one of which I will be mounting on the dash, when I get around to it. I like the larger, adjustable Stewart Model 160 best, but Bruce's book says that the smaller Model 490 was proper for the 1926 so that is probably the way I will be going with it.

No Jim. there is no directional point the oil goes, once it enters the block. Basically, it splashes into the crankcase at the #2 bearing in great abundance. When I was assembling my engine and asking alot of questions, one question I asked was, if I should consider a mag post oiler that goes to the very front of the engine, but was advised that the sling style oiler I have, moves such a massive amount of oil to the front of the engine that, that, in conjunction to the factory installed interior oil line moves more than enough oil to the front bearings, so that the mag post oiler would be overkill. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:25 pm:

What is that instrument right in the center of the trunk with the knobs and dials?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:44 pm:

That's the portable radio provided in the Model T's tool kit!
Actually it looks like a Hoyt Voltmeter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:33 pm:

Luke, here's a closeup of the "Westclox" nickel plated auto clock. Yes it works great!

Norm, It's a KRW Generator Tester. Here are a couple of closeup pictures. I think I have one for the magneto somewhere.

Here is a picture of my Stewart Model 490 speedometer setup. Is there a preferred place to put it or just wherever there is room on the dash? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:46 pm:

To echo everyone's comments, a very nice job. Looks right at home under that huge old oak :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:51 pm:

Jim,

Thanks for posting detail shots of the clock. For some reason old clocks like that are very interesting to me!

I think it stems(har har)from the fact that I hate digital clocks, nothing beats a clock from a simpler era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 07:35 pm:

Jim, I love it! It feels good to get them finished doesnt it! - good luck on your startup and drive! By the way - I like the pinstripe! Wish I had one on my 24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lipa on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 07:35 pm:

Jim - I hope that I can have my TT looking half as good as your T looks. Nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:23 pm:

Jim

She looks wonderful. Excellent paint job. Nice colors for the interior. I suppose I would have to come to Florida to get a ride. You've done a great job.

Only one question. That fan belt looks like it is made of rubber????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:31 pm:

Jim, the inside is just as nice as the outside, I really think you did a fine job. That clock is just great, I have been watching a few on ebay, but have been too cheap. Does it have radium hands for night drives? Hahaha.

I have a question for you, the red heads on the carriage bolts. Did you paint them red before installing, or hollow out a piece of chalk and place the paint on after. I like the look of it. How did you come up with this, or is it something that lots of people do, and I just don't know about it?
Love that green engine!
Again, great job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:39 pm:

Jim,

Super job. She looks great.

Where did you get the 490 speedo rig?
I have the head and need to get the rest of the set up for the wire wheels.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:43 pm:

Did you paint it with rattle can's like you did the other fenders ? Good looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:33 pm:

Thank you all.

Dave, The fanbelt is called an "endless belt", sold by Snyder's and Lang's. It is made from neoprene impregnated polyester so it will not stretch and it has no seam.

Christopher, the red carriage head bolts are primed with red oxide primer. I was so anxious to get the radiator on this weekend, I went ahead and used the primed bolts to put on the hood shelves, intending on mixing some Imron and dabbing the heads black. There are some primed bolts and nuts underneath that need to be painted black as well. The Green engine paint is the "Ford Green" high heat engine enamel sold by Snyder's.

Larry, I bought the 490 and 160 speedo setups on ebay several years ago at the same time from the same seller for an incredible price. One of those super deals that don't come along often.

Steve. LOL! No that is Dupont Imrom on the car. Hard to believe, but that paint was applied in 1980. Unfortunately, due to Government regulations, Imron is no longer available in that outstanding formula that looks as good 30 years later as the day it was applied. It had a shelf life of forever until the activator was mixed in. The reason I know this is because I still have some from that 1980 batch leftover and it is like gold to me.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:41 pm:

PS. Dave, The interior was a kit I purchased from "Carter's Cut & Cover" and installed in 1972. I believe, back then, I paid about $250.00 for the kit. It had great instructions and fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

Jim,

You dun good!

I don't even see the brush marks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

That's a swell car. As the old saying goes, ya done good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

Man, that is one Good Looking car!

I can still get Imron from my supplier but it's like gold. (Well, at least I could about three months ago.) You pay for a one gallon can and get three quarts of paint plus you have to pay for the quart of activator. I could never understand that. Making the 3:1 mix convenient sure didn't make it cheaper. But it is THE top of the line single stage paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

Nice job, Jim. She's a beauty!

I'm glad to see that you have a small ball-peen hammer in your "official" tool kit, so you're all set in case the float needle sticks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

Jim, you should be bustin' your buttons on that one!
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 01:20 am:

Very nice, Jim. You done good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:30 am:

Jim, that is SWEET!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:03 am:

Super nice job, Jim - not that I'm surprised at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:41 am:

AWESOME WORK!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:19 am:

Jim,

You’ve made it into a great looking car! It is a real encouragement for any of us with a project out in the garage to see that it can be done.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:53 am:

Jim, you think she likes it now, wait till it fires up and you can take her for a spin in it. Remember, the first few drives will be finding what needs adjustment. On my first drive, I found the brake band needed adjustment because it went to the floor with little effect. Get things dialed in then take her for a drive.

Have you driven one before?

Ditto all the praise above too. You should be proud of that car. It will be a fine addition to your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:59 am:

Also, love the clock. I have been using that same belt and like it alot. I have been thinking about painting it leather color though because of the ribbing. I hope you video the first fire up. Good luck and, as always, keep us posted. Wish I was there to see, hear, and smell it for myself as there is nothing like it when they come back to life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:34 am:

Yes Erich. I have been involved with Model T's since 1970 when I purchased this particular car for $600.00 at the age of 16. This car kept me busy, broke and out of trouble for the next 2 years as I did a ground up restoration, sometimes saving for weeks or months to buy the parts I needed, learning as I went. As a bag boy at the local supermarket earning 1.65/hr. it was not easy and it was always a joy for me to get a box of parts in the mail so I could work on it again. One of the biggest thrills of my life was when I cranked her up for the very first time in 1972 after just three pulls of the crank. Somewhere, there is a reel to reel recording of that event as I recorded it for my Grandpa who enthusiastically followed my progress, but could not be there for that as he lived 50 miles away in Lakeland and was sick... He used to tell me stories of driving his Model T which once broke his arm.

Back then, we were on our own and we had to do the best we could just by reading the books available at the time. I still have my green grease stained edition of the Model T Ford Service Manual, the red Model T Restoration Book and the Model T Bulletins Essentials. Surprisingly, I made very few mistakes considering how many times I've come on this forum to ask questions. My maiden voyage was a 50 mile drive to Lakeland, Florida, to give my Grandpa a ride, who by then, was ill with lung cancer. I wasn't able to drive it much more than that because six weeks later, in November, 1972, I went in the Marines. Grandpa died the next year when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in California. Four years later, when I got out in 1977, I really got acquainted with her and drove her all over the place. A real chick magnet too (sorry ladies, it's a tacky thing to say, but it's the truth). Now she's like part of the family and its' great to have her back in one piece. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:04 am:

Very cool Jim. I am sure that ride meant more to your Grandpa than words can get to. He would be loving this if he were here today. I wish my Dad was around today as I have no doubt he would have caught T fever like we all have. It would have been fun to have worked on it with him.

I am sure these cars are chick magnets, but they are also powerfull middle aged man magnets as well. Every time I go to the gas station, conversations start about the T, and it is usualy not a gal.

I like the fact that your reference books have greasy marks, as that is the common bond of so many who have owned a T over the last 100 years.

Best regards, Erich

P.S. $600.00..........$600.00...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doyle Anderson on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:50 pm:

Nice Job Jim! The car is beautiful My dad has a 26 coupe too and he has had the car for 40 years and just in the last 5 years finished the restration after he retired. I have helped him restore his car with much enjoyment with my dad.
Enjoy the rides with your wife!

He and I have a speedster together too and if you decide to sell the 160 speedo I would be interested in that.

Regards, Doyle
Portland, OR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:42 pm:

12/14/10. Success! After about 30 minutes of hand cranking and using the starter she finally roared to life after 10 years of dormancy. I made a few adjustments and took her on her maiden voyage. When I got up enough speed to shift into high, it would not engage so I drove her around the block and back home to make more adjustments. When I got in the driveway I discovered the brake pedal went to the floor and I had to use the emergency brake lever to stop. I loosened the clutch pedal and tightened the brakes an took her out again. this time, she drove like a dream. Beautiful ride. Thank you everyone for your help during the past year. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:46 pm:

Yahooo Jim, and you did find the same initial brake issue I had. Glad you didn't hit anything. Have a blast getting to know that beautifull T.

Keep us posted too.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:18 am:

Thanks Erich. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:23 am:

What an inspiration! Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Graziano on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:20 am:

Jim:
A BEAUTIFUL job. Wish my 26 Coupe looked so good.Again BEAUTIFUL.
Mike
Saint James City,Fl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:08 pm:

Great job! Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kociemba-Estacada, Oregon on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:44 pm:

Great job. A true inspiration. Thanks for the pics.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration