Speedometer location on a '14 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Speedometer location on a '14 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:21 pm:

Can anyone tell me the exact location on the firewall of the speedometer head. I have a model 100 speedometer head that I want to mount. I know it goes to the right of the coil box but what I am looking for are the dimensions from the floor board and the edge of the firewall. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 01:52 pm:

Do a thread search. Royce posted an excellent photo of an early '14 touring a few weeks ago, and I believe the question was the same as yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:14 pm:

If your talking exact J Reagan supplyed the dashes fof the T-100 project,and did the recearch?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:21 pm:

This is a glass plate negative from Ford Photo Graphic Services. I have licensed use of this image. Its use is not for general publication, my license on this image is for research and Model T Ford club use only. Please do not distribute this image in such a way that its copyright ownership is not respected.

The 11 X 17 glass plate negative image shows a brand new, early 1914 touring. This is a small snippet of that image:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 03:10 pm:

Here are a few pictures of early dash's with speedometers that I got from going back to past forums that may give you a general idea of where to mount it. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:15 pm:

Val, The reason there are no dimensions for mounting your speedometer was because Ford did not install the Model 100 speedometer in the Model T in 1914. Stewart Warner dealers and Ford dealers installed these setups as owner installed accessories, and they were installed to the right of the coilbox at least 3" above the floorboard. Using the photographs included in this post as a guide, you are safe in placing the head where you feel is best. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:32 pm:

Russ,

Do you think the original picture above (taken inside the plant at Highland Park) shows a Stewart Model "C" as used in 1913?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:44 pm:

Our state club in Australia, ran a well informed article on the "speedometer and your ford" in 2008, written by an expert in the field from the US, Don Marr.
Stated in that publication is that the model 100 was factory fitted 1913/14 and early 15 and some of the 12's, he also states that it was mid year 1915 when the speedo was eliminated as standard equipment, but no help on mounting location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:40 pm:

Thanks to everyone for the help. I placed the speedometer head in the location shown in the picture Royce posted and that seems to be in about the same location as the speedometer in my '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:48 am:

Royce,
The photo of the speedometer in the early 1914 Ford is, in fact, a Stewart Warner Model C. As you know, Ford ceased installing speedometers in November 1913 (1914 production style), which, from what I have been able to determine, was due to problems obtaining the necessary quantities to keep up with the assembly line.

It is documented that the Model 100 was introduced by Stewart Warner in April 1914 as an "owner installed accessory" and was never installed by Ford at the factory. I'm not sure where Mr. Don Marr obtained his information, but I would have to respectfully disagree with his article. As I stated earlier, Val can install his Model 100 where ever he likes, but the photos supplied (one is my 1913 touring), gives a good reference point.

Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:18 pm:

With Royces photo, and that gorgeous '13 in the last photo, can there be any doubt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:43 pm:

Russ,

Your response is much appreciated. I suspected as much but wanted your opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:17 am:

Thanks Russ, I have no idea on Don Marr's info is from either, other than the article says it was also in the Vintage Ford Magazine.
While on the subject of speedo's can you or someone tell me if mine is right for year as Don's article lists a Model 102 for one of the choices to use on a 1916.
Mine is a stewart, black face, brass rim, flat 3 screwed mounting plate and speed drum up the top with a 4 digit season milage and 3 for the trip across the bottom. right or not? also I should say ours are of Canadian origin. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:11 am:

Kerry, Since your car is a 1916 Ford, and no speedometer was mounted on your car from the factory, you have a great degree of latitude when it comes to installing a speedometer. The Model 102 is period correct for your car, and parts are available for this head today. Check the dial face and if it has a "G" (1915) or an "H" (1916) stamped into the dial face, it would be date code correct.

Whether someone would have installed this head in a Model T in 1916 is another question. Since the Model 100 list price was $12 and the Model 102 list price was $25 in 1916, would it have reasonable for someone to pay double the cost of a Model 100 to have a Model 102??? My guess is probably not. Stewart Warner marketed the Model 100 speedometer as the speedometer for a Ford, which the literature points out rather well.

All this being said, if I were you, I would run what you have! Hope this helps.

Russ Furstnow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration